cURL UDF - a UDF for transferring data with URL syntax

seangriffin

Greetings everyone,

I'd like to start my own cURL UDF, with a focus on a nice and simple syntax. There are many other cURL samples in the forum, though I found them too difficult to understand and use.

This UDF uses the libcurl library, as opposed to the cURL command-line tool, to provide better integration with AutoIT and better performance.

REQUIREMENTS:

• Windows 32-bit (not tested under Windows 64-bit but may work if a 64-bit version of libcurl below is used)
  • AutoIt3 3.2 or higher
  • libcurl v7.21.7 or higher (libcurl.dll, libeay32.dll & libssl32.dll) - see http://curl.haxx.se or download link below

LIST OF FUNCTIONS:

cURL_initialise()

cURL_easy($url, $cookie_file = "", $cookie_action = 0, $output_type = 0, $output_file = "", $request_headers = "", $request_data = "", $ssl_verifypeer = 0, $noprogress = 1, $followlocation = 0)

cURL_cleanup()

EXAMPLES:

Note - To make these examples work, you must make sure the three libcurl DLLs (libcurl.dll, libeay32.dll & libssl32.dll) are present in the same folder as the examples.

Example #1 - Reading HTML from a webpage.

#include <cURL.au3>

; Initialise cURL
cURL_initialise()

; Return the HTML from "http://www.autoitscript.com/site"
$response = cURL_easy("http://www.autoitscript.com/site/")

; Output the response to the console
ConsoleWrite("HTTP Response Code = " & $response[0] & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("HTTP Response Headers = " & $response[1] & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("HTTP Response Data = " & $response[2] & @CRLF)

; Clean up cURL
cURL_cleanup()

Example #2 - Reading a binary file from a website.

#include <cURL.au3>

; Initialise cURL
cURL_initialise()

; Output the file from "http://web.aanet.com.au/seangriffin/content/computing/development/eBay%20Bargain%20Hunter%20setup.exe" to "tmp.exe"
cURL_easy("http://web.aanet.com.au/seangriffin/content/computing/development/eBay%20Bargain%20Hunter%20setup.exe", "", 0, 1, "tmp.exe")

; Clean up cURL
cURL_cleanup()

Example #3 - Reading HTML from a webpage, and writing the cookie to a file.

#include <cURL.au3>

; Initialise cURL
cURL_initialise()

; Return the response from "http://www.about.com", and the cookie to the file "cookie.txt"
$response = cURL_easy("http://www.about.com", "cookie.txt", 2)

; Output the response to the console
ConsoleWrite("HTTP Response Code = " & $response[0] & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("HTTP Response Headers = " & $response[1] & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("HTTP Response Data = " & $response[2] & @CRLF)

; Clean up cURL
cURL_cleanup()

DOWNLOAD:

Recent Version of libcurl.dll, libeay32.dll & libssl32.dll (required)

http://fossies.org/windows/www/curl-7.24.0-ssl-sspi-zlib-static-bin-w32.zip

Latest Version - v0.3 (03/04/16)

cURL.au3

Edited by seangriffin

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

Chrome UDF - Automate Chrome | SAP UDF - Automate SAP | Java UDF - Automate Java Applications & Applets | Tesseract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications, controls and the desktop | Textract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications and controls | FileSystemMonitor UDF - File, Folder, Drive and Shell Monitoring | VLC (Media Player) UDF - Creating and controlling a VLC control in AutoIT | Google Maps UDF - Creating and controlling Google Maps (inc. GE) in AutoIT | SAPIListBox (Speech Recognition) UDF - Speech Recognition via the Microsoft Speech (SAPI) ListBox | eBay UDF - Automate eBay using the eBay API | ChildProc (Parallel Processing) UDF - Parallel processing functions for AutoIT | HyperCam (Screen Recording) UDF - Automate the HyperCam screen recorder | Twitter UDF - Automate Twitter using OAuth and the Twitter API | cURL UDF - a UDF for transferring data with URL syntax

See my other Tools:

Rapid Menu Writer - Add menus to DVDs in seconds | TV Player - Automates the process of playing videos on an external TV / Monitor | Rapid Video Converter - A tool for resizing and reformatting videos | [topic130531]Rapid DVD Creator - Convert videos to DVD fast and for free | ZapPF - A tool for killing processes and recycling files | Sean's eBay Bargain Hunter - Find last minute bargains in eBay using AutoIT | Sean's GUI Inspector - A scripting tool for querying GUIs | TransLink Journey Planner with maps - Incorporating Google Maps into an Australian Journey Planner | Automate Qt and QWidgets | Brisbane City Council Event Viewer - See what's going on in Brisbane, Australia

Can you provide us direct link the the dlls??? Thanks

Hi matwachich,

Good idea. I've included both a link to the libcurl author's site (http://curl.haxx.se), and a direct link to a recent copy of the libcurl DLLs, in my post at the top.

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by seangriffin

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

Chrome UDF - Automate Chrome | SAP UDF - Automate SAP | Java UDF - Automate Java Applications & Applets | Tesseract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications, controls and the desktop | Textract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications and controls | FileSystemMonitor UDF - File, Folder, Drive and Shell Monitoring | VLC (Media Player) UDF - Creating and controlling a VLC control in AutoIT | Google Maps UDF - Creating and controlling Google Maps (inc. GE) in AutoIT | SAPIListBox (Speech Recognition) UDF - Speech Recognition via the Microsoft Speech (SAPI) ListBox | eBay UDF - Automate eBay using the eBay API | ChildProc (Parallel Processing) UDF - Parallel processing functions for AutoIT | HyperCam (Screen Recording) UDF - Automate the HyperCam screen recorder | Twitter UDF - Automate Twitter using OAuth and the Twitter API | cURL UDF - a UDF for transferring data with URL syntax

See my other Tools:

Rapid Menu Writer - Add menus to DVDs in seconds | TV Player - Automates the process of playing videos on an external TV / Monitor | Rapid Video Converter - A tool for resizing and reformatting videos | [topic130531]Rapid DVD Creator - Convert videos to DVD fast and for free | ZapPF - A tool for killing processes and recycling files | Sean's eBay Bargain Hunter - Find last minute bargains in eBay using AutoIT | Sean's GUI Inspector - A scripting tool for querying GUIs | TransLink Journey Planner with maps - Incorporating Google Maps into an Australian Journey Planner | Automate Qt and QWidgets | Brisbane City Council Event Viewer - See what's going on in Brisbane, Australia

A great UDF, thanks Sean.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Indee is a good idea, although I cannot get the example to work .

! couldn't connect to host

I added the dlls to firewall exceptions.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Try This

#include <cURL.au3>
; Initialise cURL
cURL_initialise()
; Connect and get index page
$out = cURL_easy("cookie.txt", "http://www.autoitscript.com/", "")
; output the HTTP response to the console
ConsoleWrite($out)
; Clean up cURL
cURL_cleanup()

@seangriffin: you should have provided a simple example

He did, see original post.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Try This

#include <cURL.au3>
; Initialise cURL
cURL_initialise()
; Connect and get index page
$out = cURL_easy("cookie.txt", "http://www.autoitscript.com/", "")
; output the HTTP response to the console
ConsoleWrite($out)
; Clean up cURL
cURL_cleanup()

Great suggestion matwachich,

Have replaced my example in the post at the top.

Cheers,

Sean.

Edited by seangriffin

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

i said: simple!

As i can see, the example provided connects to "Jazz" on socket 9443, i don't even know what is this program

I meant that he should have provided a simple example, that will work for every body, even who don't have this Jazz

Sorry for that poor example - I've removed it. It would only work on my computer anyway if a product named "Rational Quality Manager" installed. I developed the UDF to allow me to use cURL with that product's API.

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

I tried a url to a binary data (a file on my webserver) and it don't work!

A solution???

Thanx!

Hi matwachich,

My fault. I put a "BinaryToString" call in the UDF to convert all output back to text. I overlooked the case where users might actually want a binary output. I will probably add another parameter to specify output type, and default it to text (because I think that will be the popular option).

You've made me realise I should add more features though. Like file input and output.

I guess cURL does a hell of alot. I've only just scratched the service.

I'll come up with a new version with a text / binary option, and file input and output at least. Hope to have it ready soon.

Cheers,

Sean.

Edited by seangriffin

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

Version 0.2 is now available for download.

Changes include:

• Made $url the first parameter for cURL_easy().
  • Replaced all cookie parameters with $cookie_action and $cookie_file.
  • Added $output_type and $output_file parameters.
No input file support yet for HTTP requests, only output file.

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

• 2 weeks later...

Error message, please help:

>Running:(3.3.8.0):C:Program FilesAutoIt3autoit3.exe "D:cURL - Example 1.au3"    
D:cURL.au3 (112) : ==> Subscript used with non-Array variable.:
$hCurlHandle = $hCurlHandle[0]
$hCurlHandle = $hCurlHandle^ ERROR
->10:27:47 AutoIT3.exe ended.rc:1
>Exit code: 1   Time: 1.655

Error message, please help:

>Running:(3.3.8.0):C:Program FilesAutoIt3autoit3.exe "D:cURL - Example 1.au3"   
D:cURL.au3 (112) : ==> Subscript used with non-Array variable.:
$hCurlHandle = $hCurlHandle[0]
$hCurlHandle = $hCurlHandle^ ERROR
->10:27:47 AutoIT3.exe ended.rc:1
>Exit code: 1   Time: 1.655

got same problem.

EDIT: was reading other examples and find that:

Dlls are 32bit. That means you have to run 32bit AutoIt when using them.

BTW is there any way to get content from a site that generate it from JS?

Edited by ViRnik

With cURL in linux you are able to poll a website for it's html output content, so anything displayed in the html will get pulled down if the UDF has the right functions for it.

got same problem.

EDIT: was reading other examples and find that:

Dlls are 32bit. That means you have to run 32bit AutoIt when using them.

BTW is there any way to get content from a site that generate it from JS?

• 2 weeks later...

hi Sean,

Nice, an easy to use function :bye: , libcurl usage usually tends to become technical.

Do you have plans to make this into a full fledged libcurl wrapper UDF?

If so, I have wrapped quite a bit of libcurl's dll functions (at one time or the other), I'm sure I can lend a hand, or maybe I should whip them into the UDF standards and make a new thread for a libcurl UDF :oops:

Regards,

smartee

hi Sean,

Nice, an easy to use function :bye: , libcurl usage usually tends to become technical.

Do you have plans to make this into a full fledged libcurl wrapper UDF?

If so, I have wrapped quite a bit of libcurl's dll functions (at one time or the other), I'm sure I can lend a hand, or maybe I should whip them into the UDF standards and make a new thread for a libcurl UDF :oops:

Regards,

smartee

Hi smartee,

I would love to get your input yes. I have limited time on UDF work these days and only started this one because I had a great need for it at work. But because I'm using it each day I'm happy to spend time on it.

Something I do urgently need in the UDF is multi mode support. It currently only supports easy mode, and as I'm finding easy mode is blocking certain activities in Windows 32-bit when it runs, and slows my computer such that I can't get much work done. Apparently multi mode fixes this. Do you have any solution for multi mode? Maybe we can split the UDF into two modes.

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools: