Rapid Video Converter

seangriffin

Rapid Video Converter (RVC) is a front-end for other video conversion tools and engines.

It's main goal is to streamline (automate) the conversion process of existing tools, allowing the user to convert videos faster, and with less fuss. The latest release I believe supercedes the user interfaces of most freeware conversion tools available, whilst maintaining an output video quality equivalent to that of other respected converters like Avidemux.

I wrote this software to make my own life easier. I was spending too long in existing converters setting up paths, filters, codecs, running conversions and transferring videos to other media (external drives, memory cards / sticks, etc) on a file by file basis manually. RVC streamlines this process, reducing it to a single click (ie. in the Converted column of the Video Listview) in some cases.

RVC has become a proving-ground for new ideas. It's spawned the development of other UDFs, such as the File System Monitor UDF (for monitoring changes in drives, directories and files) and the VLC UDF (for embedding VLC player in AutoIT apps). Both have been successfully integrated into RVC. Other scripting techniques, such as multiple listview context menus, dynamic file listings (recognising drive disconnections and reconnections and filename changes), new file alerts and multiple stored and custom profiles have been implemented.

This tool was previously known as "Vid2Palm". A small tool for converting videos into a format that can be played on a Palm PDA. After spending much more time developing this, I realised it could do much more. It is now a general purpose video converter.

Currently, Rapid Video Converter is using FFmpeg as the conversion engine underneath. This makes it a totally free video conversion solution.

REQUIREMENTS:

• AutoIt3 3.2 or higher
  • FFmpeg (included in the installer below)
It is highly recommended that the following (free) applications are installed seperately:

• Avidemux (to enable the Shift Audio function)
  • VLC (to enable the video playback / preview function)
DOWNLOAD:

Latest Version - v0.15 (18/05/10)

Source: Rapid Video Converter source.zip

Help: Rapid Video Converter.chm

Installer: Rapid Video Converter setup.exe

Edited by seangriffin

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

Chrome UDF - Automate Chrome | SAP UDF - Automate SAP | Java UDF - Automate Java Applications & Applets | Tesseract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications, controls and the desktop | Textract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications and controls | FileSystemMonitor UDF - File, Folder, Drive and Shell Monitoring | VLC (Media Player) UDF - Creating and controlling a VLC control in AutoIT | Google Maps UDF - Creating and controlling Google Maps (inc. GE) in AutoIT | SAPIListBox (Speech Recognition) UDF - Speech Recognition via the Microsoft Speech (SAPI) ListBox | eBay UDF - Automate eBay using the eBay API | ChildProc (Parallel Processing) UDF - Parallel processing functions for AutoIT | HyperCam (Screen Recording) UDF - Automate the HyperCam screen recorder | Twitter UDF - Automate Twitter using OAuth and the Twitter API | cURL UDF - a UDF for transferring data with URL syntax

See my other Tools:

Rapid Menu Writer - Add menus to DVDs in seconds | TV Player - Automates the process of playing videos on an external TV / Monitor | Rapid Video Converter - A tool for resizing and reformatting videos | [topic130531]Rapid DVD Creator - Convert videos to DVD fast and for free | ZapPF - A tool for killing processes and recycling files | Sean's eBay Bargain Hunter - Find last minute bargains in eBay using AutoIT | Sean's GUI Inspector - A scripting tool for querying GUIs | TransLink Journey Planner with maps - Incorporating Google Maps into an Australian Journey Planner | Automate Qt and QWidgets | Brisbane City Council Event Viewer - See what's going on in Brisbane, Australia

Version 0.2 is now available for download.

Changes include:

• Added a Help button.
  • Added a Help file (Vid2Palm.chm).
  • Added a Default Settings button.
  • Removed the Options button.
  • Added a Settings group (with various settings buttons).
  • Added a Last Output group (with various output fields).
  • Logging checkbox doesn't do anything yet.
  • Path textbox doesn't do anything yet.
  • Changed Shrink button action to use Settings (except for Path textbox).
  • Changed the output filename extension to follow the Format setting.

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

Chrome UDF - Automate Chrome | SAP UDF - Automate SAP | Java UDF - Automate Java Applications & Applets | Tesseract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications, controls and the desktop | Textract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications and controls | FileSystemMonitor UDF - File, Folder, Drive and Shell Monitoring | VLC (Media Player) UDF - Creating and controlling a VLC control in AutoIT | Google Maps UDF - Creating and controlling Google Maps (inc. GE) in AutoIT | SAPIListBox (Speech Recognition) UDF - Speech Recognition via the Microsoft Speech (SAPI) ListBox | eBay UDF - Automate eBay using the eBay API | ChildProc (Parallel Processing) UDF - Parallel processing functions for AutoIT | HyperCam (Screen Recording) UDF - Automate the HyperCam screen recorder | Twitter UDF - Automate Twitter using OAuth and the Twitter API | cURL UDF - a UDF for transferring data with URL syntax

See my other Tools:

Rapid Menu Writer - Add menus to DVDs in seconds | TV Player - Automates the process of playing videos on an external TV / Monitor | Rapid Video Converter - A tool for resizing and reformatting videos | [topic130531]Rapid DVD Creator - Convert videos to DVD fast and for free | ZapPF - A tool for killing processes and recycling files | Sean's eBay Bargain Hunter - Find last minute bargains in eBay using AutoIT | Sean's GUI Inspector - A scripting tool for querying GUIs | TransLink Journey Planner with maps - Incorporating Google Maps into an Australian Journey Planner | Automate Qt and QWidgets | Brisbane City Council Event Viewer - See what's going on in Brisbane, Australia

Version 0.3 is now available for download.

Changes include:

• Enabled the Refresh button.
  • Enabled the Path textbox.
  • Changed the Path Select button to do a refresh after selected.
  • Changed the main gui to always focus the list after a control is selected.
  • Added video filters to filter the file list.
  • Added double-click ability to the file list.
  • Changed the main gui to disable during the collection of video information.

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

• 3 weeks later...

Version 0.4 is now available for download.

Changes include:

• Changed GUI - rearranged video list, output and config panels.
  • Added Video Info button.
  • Added Resize Config panel.
  • Added List Config panel.
  • Removed Filter checkbox (replaced by List Config panel).

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

Version 0.5 is now available for download.

Changes include:

• Changed Shrink button to have dynamic text based on Resize and Reformat options.
  • Changed Shrink button to become a generic Start button.
  • Changed Resize buttons to dynamically change Reformat and (new) Start button.
  • Changed Reformat combo boxes to be radio buttons.
  • Changed Reformat buttons to dynamically change Reformat and (new) Start button.
  • Removed Config suffix from group names.
  • Added Options supergroup (around other Option groups)
  • Changed General group name to Miscellaneous.
  • Added Output Subfolder editbox to General options.
  • Changed Last Output Location fields to a single Video field.
  • Added a Start XXX List button, to process all videos in the list sequentially.
  • Changed default container back to MP4 (bug).
Edited by seangriffin

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

Oh,

fine, now I need only a video :-).

Did you test it on a emulator like m505?

best regards, Reinhard

Hi ReFran,

Yeah I enjoy listening to music clips on my old Palm, so had a great need for software like this to convert them into a friendly format for the Palm.

I own a Palm Zire 71 running TCPMP as the video player. With V0.5 of Vid2Palm producing MP4 files using the ffmpeg4 codec by default, they are running very nicely on the old Palm. No drops in frames reported in TCPMP on most (if not all) videos I've tested so far.

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

Hi,

I kept my Tungsten T3 because I use it for offroad navigation.

Beside this I've only some mp3 and pictures on it.

I will look for the videos.

By the way, if you need more power look for JustMobile (a real small USB-Charger).

Over 6 hours power with full bluetooth navigation.

Thanks for the tool,

Reinhard

Version 0.6 is now available for download.

Changes include:

• Changed the name of the tool from "Vid2Palm" to "Rapid Video Converter".
  • Note - *.RM files are not supported.
  • Added the function to create the converted directory if it doesn't exist.
  • Changed every control in the Main GUI (major update) to streamline and declutter the user interface
  • Added Duplication functionality to allow converted videos to be duplicated to another source (ie. removeable disk) quickly
  • Changed the video list to include a Conversion column, giving a byte comparison of converted video size to source file size.
  • Fixed function "unconverted_filter_list" to exclude last video in folder (bug).
  • Added a Info GUI, to display details about an item/video in the video list.
  • Added a Preferences GUI, and moved all miscellaneous options to this GUI.
  • Changed code to perform a single video list item update after conversion (rather than refresh the full list).
  • Added a new func "set_gui_global_vars()" to set global variables related to the GUI at different points in the script.
  • Added a "Open Log" button and functionality.
  • Added logging of the conversion command.
  • Added "*.wmv" as a file filter.
Edited by seangriffin

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

I got these errors when trying to run it :

D:\mp3\Rapid Video Converter.au3(286,31) : WARNING: $startbutton: possibly used before declaration.

GUICtrlSetData($startbutton,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^

D:\mp3\Rapid Video Converter.au3(287,35) : WARNING: $startlistbutton: possibly used before declaration.

GUICtrlSetData($startlistbutton,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^

D:\mp3\Rapid Video Converter.au3(384,30) : WARNING: $formatcombo: possibly used before declaration.

GUICtrlSetData($formatcombo,

D:\mp3\Rapid Video Converter.au3(385,29) : WARNING: $codeccombo: possibly used before declaration.

GUICtrlSetData($codeccombo,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^

D:\mp3\Rapid Video Converter.au3(286,31) : ERROR: $startbutton: undeclared global variable.

GUICtrlSetData($startbutton,

D:\mp3\Rapid Video Converter.au3 - 1 error(s), 4 warning(s)

When I try to click on Resize radio button:

AutoIt Error

Line 290 (File: "C:\Documents and Settings\Ivan\My Documents\AutoIt\Rapid Video Converter.au3"):

GUICtrlSetData($startbutton, "Start Reformatting &Selected")

GUICtrlSetData(^ ERROR

Error: Variable used without being declared.

I can do signature me.

Version 0.7 is now available for download.

Thanks very much for your feedback logmein & i542.

Changes include:

• Note - the help file (*.chm) requires updating.
  • Added Duplicate menu item (duplication functionality).
  • Added single-click duplication in the Video Listview Duplicated column (duplication functionality).
  • Updated Video Listview to populate the Duplicated column for duplicated videos.
  • Added Play Source menu item.
  • Added Play Converted menu item.
  • Added Play Duplicated menu item.
  • Removed old code that included $startbutton, $startlistbutton, $formatcombo, $codeccombo (thanks logmein & i542).
  • Split the single Video List context menu into 3. One per column.
  • Added "Duplicate after conversion" button, to allow conversion and duplication to take place at once.
  • Fixed the "Show Duplicated" menu item.
  • Fixed the "Play Duplicated" menu item.
  • Changed the refresh function to sort videos alphabetically.
  • Added automatic folder/drive detection for the duplicated folder.
  • Added a "Duplicated" column to the Info window.
Edited by seangriffin

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

• 2 weeks later...

Version 0.8 is now available for download.

Changes include:

• Added preferences for using Avidemux, FFmpeg and SUPER (with FFmpeg the only one enabled at the moment).
  • Added conversion routines for SUPER (but are currently disabled pending further work).
  • Added conversion routines for FFmpeg (the only conversion method supported at the moment).
  • Added a New Vid Bitrate field to allow for a constant video bitrate output.
  • Added Vid Bitrate to the Info window.
  • Added a routine to determine the converted vid bitrate based on the New Vid Bitrate field and Source Vid Bitrate (whichever lower).
  • Fixed output filename for files mith more than one fullstop.

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

Version 0.9 is now available for download.

Changes include:

• Changed the Profile control to be a listbox allowing faster access to more entries.
  • Changed the Resize group to Convert Size.
  • Added a Convert Container group.
  • Changed the Reformat group to Convert Video Codec.
  • Added a Convert Audio Codec group.
  • Fixed the Profile list. Profile selections are now reflected in the conversion settings.
  • Added Custom, MP3 and YouTube profiles.
  • Changed the default FFmpeg path in the Preferences to simply "ffmpeg.exe".
  • Changed the script to append the script's path (@ScriptDir) to the FFmpeg path if a path doesn't exist.
  • Added a NSIS installer (Rapid Video Converter setup.nsi and Rapid Video Converter setup.exe).

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

Version 0.10 is now available for download.

Changes include:

• Added an Aud Bitrate combobox, and included a "same" item.
  • Changed the Max Vid Bitrate input box to a combo box, and included a "same" item
  • Changed the YouTube profile to be a Resize Shrink of new width of 640 pixels, and audio codec conversion to AAC with the same bitrate.
  • Removed Avidemux and SUPER conversion script. FFmpeg alone is doing a better job.
  • Changed the selected profile to "Custom" if any settings are altered.
  • Fixed the info window converted information for MP3.

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

Version 0.11 is now available for download.

Changes include:

• Changed various context menu item names slightly.
  • Changed the width of the Video List columns slightly.
  • Changed the main window title slightly.
  • Changed the Preferences window title.
  • Changed the Info window title.
  • Updated the Help file (see installer).

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

Version 0.12 is now available for download.

Changes include:

• Changed the Internal Settings help page to Codec Configuration.
  • Added "Add Path below" to the Source Path context menu.
  • Added "Delete Path below" to the Source Path context menu.
  • Added a Source Path pick list to the Source Path context menu.
  • Changed "Conversion Path" label to "Converted Path".
  • Changed "Duplication Path" label to "Duplicated Path".
  • Added INI export and import functionality for the new Source Path pick list.
  • Added "Move Source" to the Source context menu.
  • Added a new "Move Source" window, for selection of a destination folder from the new Source Path pick list above.
  • Changed and added keyboard mneumonics, accelerators, and control labels to reflect the changes.

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

• 3 weeks later...

Version 0.13 is now available for download.

Changes include:

• Added "Delete Source" to the Source context menu ("Delete" keyboard shortcut).
  • Added "Rename Source" to the Source context menu ("F2" keyboard shortcut).
  • Added "Shift Audio" to the Source context menu.
  • Changed Containers to a listbox.
  • Changed Video Codecs to a listbox.
  • Changed Video Bitrate to a combobox with list always displayed.
  • Changed Audio Codecs to a listbox.
  • Changed Audio Bitrate to a combobox with list always displayed.
  • Added some default values for "Max Vid Bitrate".
  • Added some default values for "Aud Bitrate".
  • Added "MP4", "H.264" and "Xvid" Profiles.
  • Changed the Video List to select items via mouse hover over the item.
  • Added "Delete Source deletes all" checkbox to the Preferences GUI.
  • Changed converter radio buttons in the Preferences GUI to be labels.
  • Changed the "Duplicate after conversion" button to be in the Preferences GUI.
  • Added file monitoring script to catch folder changes and automatically update the Video List.

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

Hi Sean

Change $LVN_ENDLABELEDIT to $LVN_ENDLABELEDITA in your main script.

The newer versions of AutoIt do not have the first.

-and-

Include "FileSystemMonitor.au3" in your zip

or incorporate it's functions into the main script.

If you do the latter - then remove the #Include

--

Looking good!

Edited by ripdad

"The mediocre teacher tells. The Good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Ward

Hi Sean

Change $LVN_ENDLABELEDIT to $LVN_ENDLABELEDITA in your main script.

The newer versions of AutoIt do not have the first.

-and-

Include "FileSystemMonitor.au3" in your zip

or incorporate it's functions into the main script.

If you do the latter - then remove the #Include

--

Looking good!

Thanks ripdad! Good pickup. Yeah I rushed this release out in a hurry. Noticed some other things in Rapid Video Conv. are broken too. And large 2 hr converted videos aren't playing on my Palm Zire 71. Grrr. Out of memory errors. But at least file monitoring is working really well! I can even disconnect and reconnect my source drive and the file listing updates accordingly. bliss. :idea: Nice and easy to use. Just the way apps should be.

Edited by seangriffin

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools: