Centrally

ImageSearch Usage Explanation

I've used this for automating a daily job at work that refreshes +/- 35 reports daily with each one searching, and it hasn't missed a beat.

I'm curious as to the difference in .dll files, compared to the one in the original post from 2008. Here's the two versions:

Original ImageSearchDLL.dll 92k 2/28/2008

Your ImageSearchDLL.dll 77k 1/24/2010

Can you (or anyone else) tell me what the differences are?

I think it's fine. I appreciate that I can use that now instead of merging Auto Hot Key/AutoIT type features. I look forward to re-writing some of my mcros to incorporate this and thank you again for the intro into Image search :)

Hello, i think that there's a typo on your "Example of my script using _ImageSearchArea".

With this line :

local $search = _ImageSearchArea('check5.bmp', 1, 800, 40, 900, 80, $x, $y, 0)Local $search = _ImageSearch('checkImage.bmp', 0, $x, $y, 0)

I've used this for automating a daily job at work that refreshes +/- 35 reports daily with each one searching, and it hasn't missed a beat.

I'm curious as to the difference in .dll files, compared to the one in the original post from 2008. Here's the two versions:

Original ImageSearchDLL.dll 92k 2/28/2008

Your ImageSearchDLL.dll 77k 1/24/2010

Can you (or anyone else) tell me what the differences are?

I'm not really sure about difference because I only compiled last source code I found, if you really want to find out what is different than try finding source code from 2008 and compare it to one from 2010.

I was having trouble like you were having trouble. This topic is very helpful.

I was working on this image search for hours and hours and I could not get it to work! I was able to find the droid I was looking for (heh) when I saved the image as a 24-bit BMP rather than 256 or 16-bit. Not sure why this is but I hope that helps someone. If it isn't working for you, try saving the picture as a different bmp file.

Hello and thank you for the tutorial. I have been trying to get this imagesearch function to work for weeks! I took your code and copied it exactly. Then I took ImageSearch.au3, imagesearchdll.dll and my script (Which is a new script file with your code) along with my checkImage.bmp and put them all into my working directory folder. I click the script, I click P and nothing happens but the script no longer runs. I get no error or anything. Did I miss something?

I added this code in _imageSearchArea

Func _ImageSearchArea($findImage, $resultPosition, $x1, $y1, $right, $bottom, ByRef $x, ByRef $y, $tolerance, $HBMP = 0)
    ;MsgBox(0,"asd","" & $x1 & " " & $y1 & " " & $right & " " & $bottom)
    If $tolerance > 0 Then $findImage = "*" & $tolerance & " " & $findImage
    If IsString($findImage) Then
        $result = DllCall("ImageSearchDLL.dll", "str", "ImageSearch", "int", $x1, "int", $y1, "int", $right, "int", $bottom, "str", $findImage, "ptr", $HBMP)
        $err = @error
    Else
        $result = DllCall("ImageSearchDLL.dll", "str", "ImageSearch", "int", $x1, "int", $y1, "int", $right, "int", $bottom, "ptr", $findImage, "ptr", $HBMP)
        $err = @error
    EndIf
    Switch $err
        Case 1
            ConsoleWriteError("unable to use the DLL file" & @CRLF)
            exit 1
        Case 2
            ConsoleWriteError('unknown "return type" ' & @CRLF)
            exit 1
        Case 3
            ConsoleWriteError('"ImageSearch" not found in DLL' & @CRLF)
            exit 1
        Case 4
            ConsoleWriteError('bad number of parameters' & @CRLF)
            exit 1
        Case 5
            ConsoleWriteError('bad parameter' & @CRLF)
            exit 1
    EndSwitch

; If error exit
    If $result[0] = "0" Then Return 0

; Otherwise get the x,y location of the match and the size of the image to
    ; compute the centre of search
    $array = StringSplit($result[0], "|")

$x = Int(Number($array[2]))
    $y = Int(Number($array[3]))
    If $resultPosition = 1 Then
        $x = $x + Int(Number($array[4]) / 2)
        $y = $y + Int(Number($array[5]) / 2)
    EndIf
    Return 1
EndFunc   ;==>_ImageSearchArea

I down loaded the 64 bit version, and I get the "unable to use the DLL file" error.

I thought this might help some to debug.

I don't have it working, but I'll try the 32 bit version even though I'm running 64 bit windows 7.

I added code to test that DLL loads and runs and complain if not:

Func _ImageSearchArea($findImage, $resultPosition, $x1, $y1, $right, $bottom, ByRef $x, ByRef $y, $tolerance, $HBMP = 0)
    ;MsgBox(0,"asd","" & $x1 & " " & $y1 & " " & $right & " " & $bottom)
    If $tolerance > 0 Then $findImage = "*" & $tolerance & " " & $findImage
    If IsString($findImage) Then
        $result = DllCall("ImageSearchDLL.dll", "str", "ImageSearch", "int", $x1, "int", $y1, "int", $right, "int", $bottom, "str", $findImage, "ptr", $HBMP)
        $err = @error
    Else
        $result = DllCall("ImageSearchDLL.dll", "str", "ImageSearch", "int", $x1, "int", $y1, "int", $right, "int", $bottom, "ptr", $findImage, "ptr", $HBMP)
        $err = @error
    EndIf
    Switch $err
        Case 1
            ConsoleWriteError("unable to use the DLL file" & @CRLF)
            exit 1
        Case 2
            ConsoleWriteError('unknown "return type" ' & @CRLF)
            exit 1
        Case 3
            ConsoleWriteError('"ImageSearch" not found in DLL' & @CRLF)
            exit 1
        Case 4
            ConsoleWriteError('bad number of parameters' & @CRLF)
            exit 1
        Case 5
            ConsoleWriteError('bad parameter' & @CRLF)
            exit 1
    EndSwitch

; If error exit
    If $result[0] = "0" Then Return 0

; Otherwise get the x,y location of the match and the size of the image to
    ; compute the centre of search
    $array = StringSplit($result[0], "|")

$x = Int(Number($array[2]))
    $y = Int(Number($array[3]))
    If $resultPosition = 1 Then
        $x = $x + Int(Number($array[4]) / 2)
        $y = $y + Int(Number($array[5]) / 2)
    EndIf
    Return 1
EndFunc   ;==>_ImageSearchArea

Using this I found that on my computer at work the 64 bit version of the DLL gives the error unable to use the DLL file

The 32 bit version when used causes AutoIT to stop working.

Bummer I sure did like this thing back in the old XP days.

Regards tbodine88

Run the script as a 32 bit exe

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Hello, i tried this plugin and it work very well, but i cant understand one thing: if the image is in a folder located in the script folder, what is the code to make it look inside another folder instead of his own one? My english is bad, if you dont understand, i can try to reformulate the sentence xD

Just a  small concern of mine about this whole deal:

If, in order to use these functions, I am forced to use a DLL that I do not understand - what happens if in the future the DLL would need to be changed in order to work but no one knows how to change it? do all my scripts stop working forever?

The right side and bottom corner of the rectangle you want to search in.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By kylejustknows
      The code is solid and simple, it can almost explain itself.
      This is the native autoit way to do the "imagesearch", no 3rd party .dll needed.

It gets "your.bmp", and "screenshot.bmp" ----> Convert the  .bmp files into 2D-Arrays (Malkey's function)  ----> Compare the 2D-arrays, return the matched position.

Tested on: Windows 7; Windows server 2008R2; Windows 10 1809.

Pros:
      It is native. No extra .dll needed
      It is super robust. (I used to have lots of funny results using other imagesearch libs).
      It gets screenshot the same you get your screenshot crop, so it always gets a solid result, and 100% accurate.
      The code is very simple and friendly, all level users can understand and use it.

Cons:
      It is slow to convert your.big.screen.bmp into a 2D-array, and may consume 200+MB of memory and may take 5 - 20 seconds to return the result. (the actual search in an array is fast, but the conversion from .bmp to array is slow. The speed depends on your CPU speed and your screen size).
      Correct: now optimized,  it's ~5 seconds and ~ 70MB ram usage.
      It is a pixel-by-pixel color-code strict comparison in the "array-in-array" search, so you have to use the 24-bit BMP file, no "Tolerance" allowed.

2019-Jun-11: script update:
      Same day updated: Update example;  Optimize the algorithm for performance, now most computers can get the result in ~5 seconds, using ~70MB temporary memory, for the 1920x1080 resolution screen.

2019-Jun-12 script update:
      It now uses "PrintScreen" hotkey to save the screenshot.bmp (restores the user's old clipboard content after it is done) ~This is the only way to make sure the screenshot matches exactly what the user is seeing, after doing dozens of harsh tests.
      The reason: The UDF "ScreenCapture" and "ImageSearch.dll"  are not reliable for an unknown reason. Some window/dialogue special drawings are "invisible" in their screenshots.
      But the "PrintScreen" key -> Clipboard -> screenshot.bmp, this method always catches exact things showing on the screen.

#include <GDIPlus.au3> #include <ClipBoard.au3> ;Sinple Example.================== the 1.bmp is what you want to find on your screen $result = _ScreenSearchBmp("1.bmp") if $result[0] = 0 Then MsgBox(0,"","not found") Else MouseMove($result[0],$result[1],20) ;move mouse to the result EndIf ;Example End.================== You can "include" this file after you remove this "Example" part here. ;=============================================================================== ; ; Description: Main Function. Find the position of an image on the desktop ; Parameter(s): ; $center = 1 - Set where the returned x,y location of the image is. ; default 1 means center, 0 means top-left ; ; Return Value(s): On Success - Returns the array of matched position [x,y] on your screen. ; On Failure - Returns array [0,0] (BTW, there is no position 0,0 on a screen, so it means error) ; ; Note: Warning: The BMP file must be a 24-bit BMP (windows default) ; ;=============================================================================== Func _ScreenSearchBmp($file,$center=1) local $pixelarray,$screenarray ;get both your image.bmp and screenshot.bmp into pixel-by-pixel 2D arrays _FileImageToArray($file, $pixelarray) _Clip_screenshot(@TempDir & "\screenshot.bmp") _FileImageToArray(@TempDir & "\screenshot.bmp",$screenarray) FileDelete(@TempDir & "\screenshot.bmp") ;compare the 2 2D-arrays local $result = _2darray_in_2darray($screenarray,$pixelarray) ;result tidy up, for if $center=1, and for if not found. Local $aresult[2] $aresult[0] = $result[0] $aresult[1] = $result[1] if $aresult[0] = 0 then Return $aresult ;if not found , return 0 0 here if $center = 1 then $aresult[0] = $result[0]+ Round(UBound($pixelarray,1)/2) if $center = 1 then $aresult[1] = $result[1]+ Round(UBound($pixelarray,2)/2) Return $aresult ;if ALL GOOD, and $center=1 then return the center of the image here. EndFunc ;=============================================================================== ; Code by Malkey, converts .bmp into 2D array pixal by pixal. : thanks man! ;=============================================================================== Func _FileImageToArray($filename, ByRef $aArray) Local $Reslt, $stride, $format, $Scan0, $iW, $iH, $hImage Local $v_Buffer, $width, $height Local $i, $j _GDIPlus_Startup() $hImage = _GDIPlus_ImageLoadFromFile($filename) $iW = _GDIPlus_ImageGetWidth($hImage) $iH = _GDIPlus_ImageGetHeight($hImage) $Reslt = _GDIPlus_BitmapLockBits($hImage, 0, 0, $iW, $iH, $GDIP_ILMREAD, $GDIP_PXF32ARGB) ;Get the returned values of _GDIPlus_BitmapLockBits () $width = DllStructGetData($Reslt, "width") $height = DllStructGetData($Reslt, "height") $stride = DllStructGetData($Reslt, "stride") $format = DllStructGetData($Reslt, "format") $Scan0 = DllStructGetData($Reslt, "Scan0") Dim $aArray[$width][$height] For $i = 0 To $iW - 1 For $j = 0 To $iH - 1 $aArray[$i][$j] = DllStructGetData(DllStructCreate("dword", $Scan0 + ($j * $stride) + ($i * 4)), 1) Next Next _GDIPlus_BitmapUnlockBits($hImage, $Reslt) _GDIPlus_ImageDispose($hImage) _GDIPlus_Shutdown() Return EndFunc ;==>_FileImageToArray ;=============================================================================== ; ; Description: ; My code, search a 2D array inside another 2d array ; If found, return the positon of first element ; If error or not found, return array [0,0]. Because the very first match would be [1,1], "0" means something wrong. ; eg. search a 2d array ; [1,2,3,4] ; [5,6,7,8] ; [9,0,1,2] ; for: ; [7,8] ; [1,2] ; You will get result [2,3] (means, matched, first element position is row 2, colunm 3) ; ; Parameter(s): ; ; Return Value(s): On Success - Returns the array of matched [x,y], the top-left element position in the source. ; On Failure - Returns [0,0] ; ; ;=============================================================================== Func _2darray_in_2darray($source,$search) ;get the size of the both arrays local $sourcerow = UBound($source,1) Local $sourcecol = UBound($source,2) local $searchrow = UBound($search,1) Local $searchcol = UBound($search,2) ;error input cheching, if error return position 0,0 if $sourcerow = 0 or $sourcecol = 0 or $searchrow = 0 or $searchcol = 0 then Local $aPeople[2] $aPeople[0] = 0 $aPeople[1] = 0 Return $aPeople EndIf ; A crazy 4-for-loops, compare every x,y of search array in every x,y in source array for $ssr = 1 to $sourcerow - $searchrow +1 for $ssc = 1 to $sourcecol - $searchcol +1 for $sr = 1 to $searchrow for $sc = 1 to $searchcol ;if an element not match, go back, search for next if $search[$sr-1][$sc-1] <> $source[$ssr+$sr-2][$ssc+$sc-2] then ContinueLoop 3 Next Next ;if the loop passed all elements test, made it here, means the result is found! congress! lets return the result: Local $aPeople[2] $aPeople[0] = $ssr $aPeople[1] = $ssc Return $aPeople Next Next ;all the loops finished, no result found. return [0,0] Local $aPeople[2] $aPeople[0] = 0 $aPeople[1] = 0 Return $aPeople EndFunc ; #FUNCTION# ==================================================================================================================== ; Name ..........: _Clip_screenshot ; Description ...: This get a screenshot.bmp using "Print Screen" key, so the image is EXACT same image you use "Print Screen" key, to avoid funny results. ; Syntax ........: _Clip_screenshot($file) ; Parameters ....: $file - The location of the screen shot .bmp file you want it to save ; Return values .: None ; Author ........: Kyle ; =============================================================================================================================== Func _Clip_screenshot($file) local $tempdata = _ClipBoard_GetData() ;save current user's clipboard Send("{PRINTSCREEN}") sleep(200) If _ClipBoard_IsFormatAvailable($CF_BITMAP) Then _ClipBoard_Open(0) $hClipboardImage = _ClipBoard_GetDataEx($CF_BITMAP) _ClipBoard_Close() _GDIPlus_Startup() $hBitmap = _GDIPlus_BitmapCreateFromHBITMAP($hClipboardImage) Local $iX = _GDIPlus_ImageGetWidth($hBitmap) Local $iY = _GDIPlus_ImageGetHeight($hBitmap) Local $hClone = _GDIPlus_BitmapCloneArea($hBitmap, 0, 0, $iX, $iY, $GDIP_PXF24RGB) ;make sure its 24bit bmp _GDIPlus_ImageDispose($hBitmap) $hBitmap = $hClone $sCLSID = _GDIPlus_EncodersGetCLSID("BMP") _GDIPlus_ImageSaveToFileEx($hBitmap, $file, $sCLSID, 0) _GDIPlus_BitmapDispose($hBitmap) _GDIPlus_Shutdown() EndIf _ClipBoard_SetData($tempdata) ; restore user clipboard EndFunc Remove the "example" part then you can include this code as a file.
    • By kuhicop
      Hello, I need to find an image on screen and return it's position left, top, right, botton.
      I'm using the ImageSearch function but it only returns 1 or 0.
      Any ideas? Thanks!
    • By Errious
      Hello,
      maybe i am just tired or i did not understand exactly how to use ImageSearch for different pictures, but i tried now a few things with my example script and only the first part is working.
      Explaining what i try to do, at work we have a programm running which has three different states, they are visible but sometimes the statuses of the process is not running and to avoid a long time without progress of the programm i searched to get a way to have a better visible notification as existing, so there is grey as work in progress, orange for not running and red for aborted, now when the states are changing i would like to receive a little window that is just telling the actual status.
      #include <ImageSearch2015.au3> #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> #include <AutoItConstants.au3> $x1=0 $y1=0 While 1 sleep(100) $image1 = _ImageSearch("red.png", 1,$x1,$y1,0) If $image1 = 1 then SplashTextOn ( "", "RED !" , 100 , 50 , 1800 , 220 , $DLG_TEXTLEFT, "Arial" , 12 , 500 ) Sleep(1000) SplashOff() sleep(100) EndIf $image2 = _ImageSearch("orange.png", 1,$x1,$y1,0) If $image2 = 1 Then SplashTextOn ( "", "Orange !" , 100 , 50 , 1800 , 220 , $DLG_TEXTLEFT, "Arial" , 12 , 500 ) Sleep(1000) SplashOff() sleep(100) EndIf $image3 = _ImageSearch("grey.png", 1,$x1,$y1,0) If $image3 = 1 Then SplashTextOn ( "", "Grey !" , 100 , 50 , 1800 , 220 , $DLG_TEXTLEFT, "Arial" , 12 , 500 ) Sleep(1000) SplashOff() EndIf WEnd As i said before, part one to receive the state for aborted is working, so i get the splash window for this, but what do i miss for the other two?
      I put the While statement in for continuously running as long it is needed when the program is in use, but i believe i missed something.
    • By VIP
      Use MouseClick()  mybe must/need:
      #RequireAdmin  
      DLL incuded on script!
      ; #INDEX# ================================================================================================= ; Title .........: ImageSearch ; AutoIt Version : 3.x ; Language ......: English ; Description ...: Check image Appears or Not and Return the position of an image on the desktop ; Author(s) .....: Dao Van Trong - TRONG.LIVE ; ================================================================================================= ; #CURRENT# ================================================================================================= ; _ImageSearch ; _ImageSearch_Area ; _ImageSearch_Wait ; _ImageSearch_WaitArea ; ================================================================================================= ;=============================================================================== ; ; Author:...........: AutoIT VietNam : Dao Van Trong - TRONG.LIVE ; Description:......: Check image Appears or Not ; Find and return the position of an image on the desktop ; Syntax:........... _ImageSearch_Area, _ImageSearch ; Parameter(s):..... $_ImagePath: The image to locate on the desktop ; May be a list of image by delimited by "|" ; i.e: $_ImagePath = "image1.bmp|image2.bmp|image3.bmp" ; $P_x1 $P_y1: Position of 1st point ; $P_x2 $P_y2: Position of 2nd point - Default is last botton right of desktop ; $_Tolerance: 0 for no tolerance (0-255). Needed when colors of image differ from desktop. e.g GIF ; $_CenterPos: boolen. True will return $array[1] x $array[2] is center of image found. ; False will return top-left position ; Return Value(s):.. Return an array has 3 item ; On Success: $array[0] 1 ; On Failure: $array[0] 0 ; DLL not found or other error: $array[0] -1 ; $array[1] x $array[2]: position of image what found on desktop ; ; Note:............. Use _ImageSearch to search the entire desktop ; _ImageSearch_Area to specify a desktop region to search ; $_ImagePath with more item need more time appear on screen before function can detect. ; Decrease sleep time in the loop to detect faster. But less performance. I.e CPULoad increased ; ;=============================================================================== EG:
      #include "_ImageSearch.au3" #include "_ImageSearch_Debug.au3" #RequireAdmin HotKeySet("{Esc}", "_Exit") ; Press ESC for exit Func _Exit() Exit 0 EndFunc ;==>_Exit Global Const $Ask_On_Found = 1 Global Const $Mouse_Move_On_Found = 1 Global Const $Mouse_Click_On_Found = 0 Global $_Image_1 = @ScriptDir & "\example.bmp" ; First, use this function to create a file bmp, maybe a desktop icon for example') MsgBox(64 + 262144, 'ImageSearch', 'At first, create a file bmp,' & @CRLF & 'photos that will search on the screen!') _ImageSearch_Create_BMP($_Image_1) ConsoleWrite("! Search for images: " & $_Image_1 & @CRLF & '! Searching on the screen ...' & @CRLF) While 1 ToolTip('(Press ESC for EXIT) Searching ...', 1, 1) Local $return = _ImageSearch($_Image_1) If $return[0] = 1 Then ConsoleWrite('- Image found:' & " X=" & $return[1] & " Y=" & $return[2] & @CRLF) If $Mouse_Move_On_Found Then MouseMove($return[1], $return[2]) If $Mouse_Click_On_Found Then MouseClick("left", $return[1], $return[2]) ToolTip('(Press ESC for EXIT) Image found:' & " X=" & $return[1] & " Y=" & $return[2], 1, 1) If $Ask_On_Found Then Local $ask = MsgBox(6 + 262144, 'Success', 'Image found:' & " X=" & $return[1] & " Y=" & $return[2]) If $ask = 2 Or $ask = 3 Or $ask = 5 Or $ask = 7 Then Exit ;No, Abort, Cancel, and Ignore If $ask = 10 Then _ImageSearch_Create_BMP($_Image_1) ; Continue ;Try Again EndIf EndIf Sleep(200) WEnd  

Video demo:

• By Nick3399
      I have loaded FastFind into my code and it takes a snapshot and creates a BMP file from it. 
      My issue is now I want to imagesearch from that BMP file (or snapshot memory) and look for a specific image from that image and get the coordinates from that. 
      I have looked at all the documentation but I cannot find anything to assist me.

Does anyone have any idea?