Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheBG

Please make a suggestion for Access DB editing

3 posts in this topic

To all,

I'm probably a mid-level Autoit user.

Currently I have a script that I tun against pc's in the company. I collect various data and reg entries, and write all the data to a text file (csv). I then have an excel file that imports the text file as a data source, and the data is viewed by several co-workers.

the data is growing faster than expected, and I need to start storing the data into a Access DB (office 2007). Then I can run various reports from Access. Note: I would start pushing it to SQL, but I'm uncertain of the requirements of the target pc's that are writing the data. please correct me if im wrong.

So, I have looked around the forum, and have seen a access UDF and a couple of SQL type UDF's.

What would be the recommendation of the path to follow?

the only thing I need, if for the target pc's to write data to the DB, and that's it.

I just want to re-write my code so it's writes to a DB instead of a text file.

It really depends upon your needs. How big do you now expect the data to get? Will all the machines that write to the db have Access installed? What is your comfort level with Access? Have you looked into the _SQLite functions in the help file, which will output to a file and do not need Access to read from/write to? All of these questions need to be answered before you can really make a determination which solution is best.

√-1 2^3 ∑ π, and it was delicious!

You an also use ADODB to work with an AccessDB as it is essentially a JET database. There is an example in my signature. I'm not sure how the performance compares to SQLIte though.