dreamzboy

Real-time Line Counter

10 posts in this topic

I have an edit box that I wanted to keep tabs of the line number in real-time.  For an example, if a user enter 3 lines, the counter should update as soon as the user hit "Enter" after the 3rd entry.  I managed to do it but it's not real-time.  Program would hung or slow to response after I hit the "Configuration" button.

Many thanks!

; Testing Host Count

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <GuiEdit.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    Local $hostLabel, $hostEdit, $button, $msg, $count, $hostname
    GUICreate("Host Count") ; will create a dialog box that when displayed is centered

$hostLabel = GUICtrlCreateLabel ("Hostname", 10, 10, 120, 20)
    $hostEdit = GUICtrlCreateEdit ("", 10, 40, 200, 80)
    $button = GUICtrlCreateButton ("Configure", 20, 140, 120, 30)

GUISetState() ; will display an  dialog box with 1 checkbox

; Run the GUI until the dialog is closed
    While 1
        $msg = GUIGetMsg()
        $hostname = StringRegExp (GUICtrlRead ($hostEdit), '\V\S+', 3)
        $count = UBound ($hostname)
        sleep (500)
        GUICtrlCreateLabel ($count, 200, 10, 10, 20, $SS_RIGHT)
        Select
            Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                ExitLoop
            Case $msg = $button
                MsgBox (0, "Count", "The count is " & $count)
                #cs
                GUICtrlCreateLabel ($count, 200, 10, 10, 20, $SS_RIGHT)
                #ce
        EndSelect
    WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>Example

This is the best I can do.  I'm sure there is a better way, so stick around.  I'm *sure* that someone will see my post and be inspired to do a better job.  8)

; Testing Host Count

#include <GuiEdit.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    GUICreate("Host Count")

Local Const $hostLabel = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Hostname", 10, 10, 120, 20)

Local Const $label = GUICtrlCreateLabel('0', 200, 10, 30, 20, $SS_RIGHT)

Local Const $hostEdit = GUICtrlCreateEdit("", 10, 40, 200, 80)

Local Const $button = GUICtrlCreateButton("Configure", 20, 140, 120, 30)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOWNORMAL)

Local $count, $hostname

Do              
        Switch GUIGetMsg()
            Case $button
                $hostname = StringRegExp(GUICtrlRead($hostEdit), "(*ANY)", $STR_REGEXPARRAYGLOBALMATCH)

$count = (UBound($hostname) - 1) / 2

GUICtrlSetData($label, $count)

Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                ExitLoop                
        EndSwitch
    Until False
EndFunc

Thank you for the quick response.  I tried running your code but came up with undeclared variable error:

C:\Users\nguyenk\Documents\AutoIT\RxG\test5.au3(20,91) : WARNING: $STR_REGEXPARRAYGLOBALMATCH: possibly used before declaration.
                $hostname = StringRegExp(GUICtrlRead($hostEdit), "(*ANY)", $STR_REGEXPARRAYGLOBALMATCH)
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:\Users\nguyenk\Documents\AutoIT\RxG\test5.au3(20,91) : ERROR: $STR_REGEXPARRAYGLOBALMATCH: undeclared global variable.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
C:\Users\nguyenk\Documents\AutoIT\RxG\test5.au3 - 1 error(s), 1 warning(s)
!>18:06:06 AU3Check ended. Press F4 to jump to next error.rc:2
>Exit code: 2    Time: 0.517

jaberwacky & dreamzboy,

I would do it this way: ;)

Case $button
    $count = ControlCommand("Host Count", "", $hostEdit, "GetLineCount", "")
M23
1 person likes this

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind._______My UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

#7 ·  Posted (edited)

Maybe I'm missing something but that's not real-time.  The count only update once you hit the $button.  What I'm looking for is a line counter similar to the Scite Editor where it shows the number of lines at the bottom of the status bar as you type.  It should show the number of lines even before you hit the button.

My current code work great counting only the number of entries which is what I wanted instead of empty lines.  The problem is that it's not real-time.  It doesn't show the entry number until you hit the $button.

Case $msg = $button
                GUICtrlSetData ($countLabel, $count)

counter.jpg

Edited by dreamzboy

dreamzboy,

Sorry about that - I based my response on jaberwacky's code. How about this? ;)

#include <GuiEdit.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    GUICreate("Host Count")

Local $hostLabel = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Hostname", 10, 10, 120, 20)
    Local $label = GUICtrlCreateLabel('0', 200, 10, 30, 20, $SS_RIGHT)
    Local $hostEdit = GUICtrlCreateEdit("", 10, 40, 200, 80)
    Local $button = GUICtrlCreateButton("Configure", 20, 140, 120, 30)

GUISetState()

Local $count, $iCurrentCount = 0

While 1
        Switch GUIGetMsg()
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                ExitLoop
        EndSwitch

; Get current line count
        $count = ControlCommand("Host Count", "", $hostEdit, "GetLineCount", "")
        ; If not what is stored
        If $count <> $iCurrentCount Then
            ; Reset label
            ; Store new value
            $iCurrentCount = $count
        EndIf

WEnd

EndFunc   ;==>Example
Better? :)

M23

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind._______My UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

You are brilliant!  I wish I have 1/4 of your intelligence.  :thumbsup:

Thanks to both of you.

You are brilliant! 

...and then some...

No shit, you learn something new every day, thanks M23...

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill