How secure is:

_Crypt_EncryptFile

_Crypt_DecryptFile

I understand the strength of encryption is mainly down to the algorithm and password, but I’m not referring to either of these, I am looking to find out how strong the code behind crypt it.

I have noticed when encrypting a file, it uses a “.tmp” file while encrypting. In my experience a “.tmp” file is temporary and is deleted after use. But does this file contain any data that is related to the file being encrypted, or worse the password itself. Even though the file is deleted, it could possibly be recovered with a tool like: https://www.piriform.com/recuva.

I'm not quite sure if this is a potential security threat, and if anyone could say if it is or not then that would be much appreciated.

I think it reads directly from the source file and write directly to the destination file without any temp files, but not 100% sure, you can look inside Crypt.au3 in autoit includes folder

Where do you see this tmp file being created? I see plenty of deleted tmp files in my Temp folder, but none of them appear to be from autoit.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I think this behavior but the other way, though no one really answered what it was for.  It did make me want to only use it for 1kb files so successes and failures result in the same payload.

Edited by boththose

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

If u want just to make something very strong against cracking decrypting etc just use AES 256bt Encryption ^-^ it's mainly i think the best also used by one of the most annoying trojan("Teslacrypt"but maybe it don't use it at all) used but here Times(1.)how long it would take to decrypt AES.

Edited by RaiNote

• C++/AutoIt/OpenGL Easy Coder
  • I will be Kind to you and try to help you
  • till what you want isn't against the Forum
  • Rules~

Since you will need to include the encryption key within your script, probably not too secure.

Edit: didn't see that you didn't want that answer until after I posted it.

Edited by jdelaney

IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Colduction
      I had created login form and this form first goes to de-crypting file that encrypted then read the saved credentials by de-cryptied file, but doesn't work properly!
      I want just read encrypted data without saving de-crypted file, just read! 
      #NoTrayIcon #include <Crypt.au3> #include <FileConstants.au3> #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> #include <ButtonConstants.au3> #include <EditConstants.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <StaticConstants.au3> #include <WindowsConstants.au3> ;==================================Variables=================================== ;Encryption settings _Crypt_Startup() $PEK = _Crypt_DeriveKey("BS#Password", $CALG_AES_256, $CALG_SHA_512) $DefaultCredFile = "[Credentials]" & @CRLF & "BUsername=NoAdmin" & @CRLF & "BPassword=NoAdmin" & @CRLF & "[Process]" & @CRLF & "ProcessKillingTimeout=3600" $EncryptDefaultCred = _Crypt_EncryptData($DefaultCredFile, $PEK, $CALG_AES_256) $IniReadCredPassword = IniRead(@WindowsDir & "\Config\GUIDecCred.dat", "Credentials", "BPassword", "") $IniReadCredUsername = IniRead(@WindowsDir & "\Config\GUIDecCred.dat", "Credentials", "BUsername", "") ;==================================Variables=================================== AuthForm() Func AuthForm() Global $LoginForm = GUICreate("Login", 201, 161, -1, -1) Global $CloseBTN = GUICtrlCreateButton("Close", 23, 126, 75, 25) Global $SignInBTN = GUICtrlCreateButton("Sign-in", 103, 126, 75, 25) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 8, 800, 0, "MS Sans Serif") Global $PasswordInput = GUICtrlCreateInput("admin", 8, 88, 185, 21, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_INPUT,$ES_CENTER,$ES_PASSWORD)) Global $UsernameInput = GUICtrlCreateInput("admin", 8, 40, 185, 21, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_INPUT,$ES_CENTER)) Global $UsernameLBL = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Username:", 8, 21, 55, 17) Global $PasswordLBL = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Password:", 8, 68, 53, 17) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) While 1 $nMsg = GUIGetMsg() Switch $nMsg Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Exit Case $SignInBTN AuthProcess() EndSwitch WEnd EndFunc AuthProcess() Func AuthProcess() $ReadEnteredUsername = GUICtrlRead($UsernameInput) $ReadEnteredPassword = GUICtrlRead($PasswordInput) If Not FileExists(@WindowsDir & "\Config\GUIEncCred.dat") Then FileDelete(@WindowsDir & "\Config\GUIDecCred.dat") ;Delete previous de-crypted credentials FileWrite(@WindowsDir & "\Config\GUIEncCred.dat", $EncryptDefaultCred) ;Write en-crypted credentials as "*.dat" file FileClose(@WindowsDir & "\Config\GUIEncCred.dat") ;Close en-crypted credentials file _Crypt_DecryptFile(@WindowsDir & "\Config\GUIEncCred.dat", @WindowsDir & "\Config\GUIDecCred.dat", $PEK, $CALG_AES_256) ;Write de-crypted file from an en-crypted file as "*.dat" file Else _Crypt_DecryptFile(@WindowsDir & "\Config\GUIEncCred.dat", @WindowsDir & "\Config\GUIDecCred.dat", $PEK, $CALG_AES_256) ;Write de-crypted file from an en-crypted file as "*.dat" file EndIf Sleep(25) If $ReadEnteredUsername == $IniReadCredUsername And $ReadEnteredPassword == $IniReadCredPassword Then ;Username and Password verify stage MsgBox(64, "", "Welcome!") FileDelete(@WindowsDir & "\Config\GUIDecCred.dat") Exit Else MsgBox(14, "", "Incorrect!") FileDelete(@WindowsDir & "\Config\GUIDecCred.dat") Sleep(25) EndIf EndFunc How Can i? 
    • By Colduction
      Q1) How to do GUIDelete() while using the script when a specific process starts?
      Q2) How to change (X) "Close"button behavior? 
      Q3) I am VPS Retailer and i want to control my Users that uses bad programs, such as Port Scanners and so on... I had created script to tell me what are they doing, but they removes my script from Windows Registry Startup paths, Common Startup paths, Task Schedules and so on... How to make my script protect itself from being closed and start as main process of windows at startup? 
    • By Jeep
      Here is an other UDF for string handling :
      Date handling
      _StringDateConvert:  convert a date from one format ("YMD", "MDY" or "DMY") to another.
      _StringIsDate:  checks if a date with a given format is valid
      String management
      _StringCount: count of occurrences that appear in a string
      _StringFormatBytesSize: formatting a dimension expressed in bytes (bytes) in MB, TB, ...)
      _StringIsEndingWith: check if a string end with some characters
      _StringIsStartingWith: check if a string start with some characters
      _StringJoinArray:  concatenate elements of an array to rebuild a string
      _StringPadLeft: filling a string with characters on the left
      _StringPadRight: fill a string with characters on the right
      _StringRemoveFrenchAccent: remove french accent
      _StringRemoveChars: deleting characters from a string
      _StringStrip: eliminate characters at the begin and/or at the  end of a string
      _StringTitleCaseFrench: capitalize the first letter of each word with elimination of french accents
      _StringWSClean: simple replacement of "White Spaces",  remove beginning and trailing spaces and multiple spaces removal
      Any comments, suggestions for improvement or constructive criticism are welcome.
      Below you will find the UDF and a demo program. 

JPD_String.zip
    • By Beege
      I found this article and enjoyed it so much I had play with some code since the numbers are small enough. 
      https://thatsmaths.com/2016/08/11/a-toy-example-of-rsa-encryption/

Standard Encryption's vs RSA Encryption (Public Key Encryption) Fundamental Differences
      If you read that and couldn't immediately clarify the difference then let me blow your mind because its simple:
      STANDARD ENCRYPTION'S:
      ORIGINAL_DATA + Password(or KEY) = Encrypted DATA
          Then to decrypt -> 
              Encrypted DATA + (SAME Password(or SAME KEY)) = ORIGINAL_DATA

RSA:
              ORIGINAL_DATA + Password(or PUBLIC_KEY) = Encrypted DATA
          Then to decrypt -> 
              Encrypted DATA + (DIFFERENT Password(or PRIVATE_KEY)) = ORIGINAL_DATA
      Are we all caught up? Did the colors help? I think they did
      That's crazy right? Don't answer. It is. And crazier its used EVERY TIME we make a secure connection to a server over the internet. But here's the craziest part to me that I recently got clarity on from the toy example and that is the simplicity of this very very very very important algorithm that has yet to be cracked (fingers crossed):
                 Mod($vData ^ $key, $n)

So ya. That's it. That's the magic algorithm. 3 values. Oh and $n is also a shared known value that will be in the certificate with the public key that your browser reads when it makes a connection:

That's just mind blowing to me so couldn't resist getting something going in AUT. After playing with this code, I got a much better understanding of how its not just that algorithm that makes this whole thing possible. The numbers that we pick to form the public key and n are just as important and also how important it is to be random! 
      Let me know if you have any problems. Enjoy!
      #include <array.au3> _Toy_RSA_Example() ;https://thatsmaths.com/2016/08/11/a-toy-example-of-rsa-encryption/ Func _Toy_RSA_Example() Local $p, $q, $n, $nT, $e, $d Local $aPublicKeys, $aCrypt, $sDecrypt, $sMsg ;Pick two random primes (they will be between 1000-10000) $p = _GetRandomPrime() $q = _GetRandomPrime() $sMsg = 'p= %i \t\t| Prime 1 - [NOT SHARED!]\nq= %i \t\t| Prime 2 - [NOT SHARED!]\n' ;Calculate lowest common multiple $nT = _LCM($p - 1, $q - 1) $sMsg &= 'nT= %i \t| _LCM(p - 1,q - 1) - [NOT SHARED!]\n' ;Calculate n. This is a shared number $n = $p * $q $sMsg &= 'n= %i \t| p * q - [Shared]\n' ;Get a small random list of possible public keys to pick from. Only searching for 100ms $aPublicKeys = _GetPublicKeys($nT) _ArrayDisplay($aPublicKeys, "Possible Public Keys Found") ;Pick a random public (encryption) key from array $e = $aPublicKeys[Random(1, $aPublicKeys[0], 1)] $sMsg &= 'e= %i \t| Public (Encryption) Key - [Shared]\n' ;Generate our private (decryption) key $d = _GetPrivateKey($e, $nT) $sMsg &= 'd= %i \t| Private (Decryption) Key - [NOT SHARED!]\n' ;format our msg (rsa details) to encrypt $sMsg = StringFormat($sMsg, $p, $q, $nT, $n, $e, $d) ;encrypt message $aCrypt = _RSA($sMsg, $e, $n) _ArrayDisplay($aCrypt, 'Encrypted RSA messsage') ;Decrypt array back $sDecrypt = _RSA($aCrypt, $d, $n) MsgBox(0, 'Decrypted RSA messsage', $sDecrypt) EndFunc ;==>_Toy_RSA_Example ;Function will perfrom Mod($v ^ $key, $n) on each char/element. ;Excepts Arrays or Strings. If input is array a string is returned and vice versa. Func _RSA($vDat, $key, $n) Local $bIsStr = IsString($vDat) If $bIsStr Then $vDat = StringToASCIIArray($vDat) For $i = 0 To UBound($vDat) - 1 $vDat[$i] = _Modular($vDat[$i], $key, $n) Next Return $bIsStr ? $vDat : StringFromASCIIArray($vDat) EndFunc ;==>_RSA ;algorithm is from the book "Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications 5th Edition" by Kenneth H. Rosen. Func _Modular($iBase, $iExp, $iMod) ; Mod($v ^ $key, $n) Local $iPower = Mod($iBase, $iMod) Local $x = 1 For $i = 0 To (4 * 8) - 1 If BitAND(0x00000001, BitShift($iExp, $i)) Then $x = Mod(($x * $iPower), $iMod) EndIf $iPower = Mod(($iPower * $iPower), $iMod) Next Return $x EndFunc ;==>_Modular ;Generate a "random" list of possible valid public keys to choose from based on $nT Func _GetPublicKeys($nT, $iMs = 100) Do Local $aKeys[10000] = [0], $iTime = TimerInit() Local $i = (Mod(@SEC, 2) ? Int($nT / 2) : Int($nT / 4)) ; randomize where we start Do If _IsPrime($i) And _IsCoPrime($i, $nT) Then $aKeys[0] += 1 $aKeys[$aKeys[0]] = $i EndIf $i += (Mod(@MSEC, 2) ? 1 : 100) ; randomize step size Until ($i >= ($nT - 1)) Or (TimerDiff($iTime) > $iMs) ReDim $aKeys[$aKeys[0] + 1] Until $aKeys[0] > 5 ; Ive seen 200+ returned sometimes and 0 on others. Make sure we have at least a few choices Return $aKeys EndFunc ;==>_GetPublicKeys ;https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/multiplicative-inverse-under-modulo-m/ - _ModInverse(a,m) Func _GetPrivateKey($a, $m) If ($m = 1) Then Return 0 ; Local $t, $q, $y = 0, $x = 1, $m0 = $m While ($a > 1) $q = Int($a / $m) ;q is quotient $t = $m ; $m = Mod($a, $m) ;m is remainder now, process same as Euclid's algo $a = $t ; $t = $y ; $y = $x - $q * $y ;Update y and x $x = $t ; WEnd Return $x < 0 ? $x + $m0 : $x EndFunc ;==>_GetPrivateKey ;Pick the next nearest prime from a random number (or number you cho0se) Func _GetRandomPrime($iStart = Default) Local $iPrime = ($iStart = Default ? Random(1000, 10000, 1) : $iStart) Do $iPrime += 1 Until _IsPrime($iPrime) Return $iPrime EndFunc ;==>_GetRandomPrime #Region Math Functions Func _IsPrime($n) For $i = 2 To (Int($n ^ 0.5) + 1) If Mod($n, $i) = 0 Then Return False Next Return True EndFunc ;==>_IsPrime Func _IsCoPrime($a, $b) Return _GCD($a, $b) = 1 EndFunc ;==>_IsCoPrime Func _GCD($iX, $iY) Local $iM While 1 $iM = Mod($iX, $iY) If $iM = 0 Then Return $iY $iX = $iY $iY = $iM WEnd EndFunc ;==>_GCD Func _LCM($iX, $iY) Return ($iX * $iY) / _GCD($iX, $iY) EndFunc ;==>_LCM #EndRegion Math Functions  
      You should get a message box displaying the decrypted message with details of the values used:

rsa.au3
    • By SolemnStrike
      Hey, 
      I know the title sounds weird, but i couldn't find better words for it...
      I finally managed to have a working image search (yes yes i know image search is evil :p).
      I noticed that even if the script is compiled, the images have to be in my script folder.
      But i don't want that the images i'm searching for on the screen can be viewed, edited etc by every user.
      Is there a way to... uhm... put them in a file like .rar, but one that can't be easily opened? 🤔

Edit: Now that i think of .rar, maybe using a .rar which is protected by a password... Can autoit search, open, extract, use and delete that? (I guess so, I didn't search for this yet, going to google that asap)