store a variable for later use...

com-guy

i"m having trouble finding a way to do this.  I'd like to have a way to store a variable that can be called up the next time the script runs.  

for example:

a script that calls a variable from a dll file (lets say it pulls a number, ie. 1) and uses that number to perform a function and the script would edit the variable in the dll by adding 1 to it so that the variable would be 2.  next time it's run, it would pull the 2, perform function, then add 1 making the variable 3,,, and so on...

can this be done?   if so, could someone point me in the right direction?

not enough data or description, let alone test code has been given to get a serious answer. why do you want to store values inside a dll? what is this pulling numbers stuff mean? If you can describe what it is you wish to do it may make more sense, I mean, what is the use case at least?

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

4 hours ago, Danp2 said:

The simplest way would be to store and retrieve the value from an INI file. Look in the help file for the commands IniRead and IniWrite.

yes... an ini file.   I haven't done much scripting for several years and forgot how i did stuff like this.  don't think I've ever had a script edit the ini, just used them in the past to insert data/settings into the script....

4 hours ago, Earthshine said:

not enough data or description, let alone test code has been given to get a serious answer. why do you want to store values inside a dll? what is this pulling numbers stuff mean? If you can describe what it is you wish to do it may make more sense, I mean, what is the use case at least?

Yes, i did give all the info needed to answer the question... 

Danp2 gave an excellent answer.  I don't want someone to write the script for me, just a nudge in the right direction...

Yes, use ini or registry to store information for future starts.

I'm not sure about writing to the dll, thought you could only read dlls.

So read the dll get the information from the ini and call the dll.

Spoiler

Renamer - Rename files and folders, remove portions of text from the filename etc.

GPO Tool - Export/Import Group policy settings.

MirrorDir - Synchronize/Backup/Mirror Folders

BeatsPlayer - Music player.

Params Tool - Right click an exe to see it's parameters or execute them.

String Trigger - Triggers pasting text or applications or internet links on specific strings.

Inconspicuous - Hide files in plain sight, not fully encrypted.

Regedit Control - Registry browsing history, quickly jump into any saved key.

Time4Shutdown - Write the time for shutdown in minutes.

Power Profiles Tool - Set a profile as active, delete, duplicate, export and import.

Finished Task Shutdown - Shuts down pc when specified window/Wndl/process closes.

NetworkSpeedShutdown - Shuts down pc if download speed goes under "X" Kb/s.

IUIAutomation - Topic with framework and examples

Au3Record.exe