Coding Autoit & RESPECT

Dana86

I was chatting with some college kids at a Starbucks about Autoit & they just assumed I am a noob programmer when they heard my enthusiasm about coding AutoIt... Which they have never heard of... I find Autoit to be highly undervalued & underestimated in the engineering world... You can accomplish, build & test things 5X faster than with any other language. Also, Autoit serves as a powerful unique software integration medium. 

Also, Autoit can build almost anything Python can build & if Python has some libraries that Autoit lacks I just run those compiled python files with Autoit. 

Anyways... the question is has anyone been dismissed as a noob coder for programming Autoit as their go-to main programming language? Other than a larger library I don't think there are any noticeable performance differences between Python & Autoit right?

@Dana86
Don't listen to them; they're just ignorants because they're judging something (and even worse, someone) by a thing they don't know.
AutoIt is a powerful scripting language you can do a lot of amazing things with.
I started studying AutoIt back in 2016 for a script which had to run multiple intsances of a program, and move each instance on a different screen; from there, I've never stopped working with AutoIt, and everyday (mostly thanks to the amazing community on the Forums which is envied in other coding Forums), you never stop to learn something new and useful, and the simplicity of the language makes everything more comprehensible and understandable from who had never used a programming language.
Be proud of what you do, and don't feel judged by someone who can even understand what is saying.

Cheers :bye:

Click here to see my signature:

Spoiler

ALWAYS GOOD TO READ:

I think people sometimes miss the main point of programming. You're not a great programming because You use  a particular programming language, You can't say I'm a good programmer because I use C++ or ASM, I've worked with people that are able to build a machine driver but can't get done easy things using AutoIt, purpose of programming is to find a sequence of instructions that will automate the performance of a task. Programming goes beyond just knowing how to use a programming language, It's the way you think, The way You use the logic, the way you use the lenguages/tools/instruccions to get something done/solved. 

For example, I learned AutoIt as my main programming language and I can see even read / understand C ++ or C # or any other programming language algorithm simply by reading some basic sets of its instructions, but even that doesn't make me a good programmer because as I said the programming goes beyond that.

So Just take a long talk with your friends and talk about about this great world named programming.  😊

Saludos

well always when i talk about autoit nobody knows... but if i show them what is possible they wake up :D and there is still so much potential.. 

it's so fun when  i see their face then :P ... but yes first reaction of them is just what thats not programming blah blah :D 

why do i get garbage when i buy garbage bags? <_<

As you said, they were kids.

Kids make fun of other people because they're kids, the subject is irrelevant.

So you should just forget about them, hopefully when they grow up they'll become smarter and code with autoit too ;)

Edited by Neutro

Just believe in yourself, listen to everyone, but always be the one who decides what is right or wrong for you. Many times people speak in vain. From my point of view Autoit is an extremely productive language aimed at solving the objective in a short time. I think many system administrators use it daily ... other than powershell. As far as I'm concerned, it changed my life. The only note I want to make to the Autoit community is that in my opinion it should be paid, the donation policy in my opinion does not work). Personally I would be willing to spend to maintain this type of forum (excellent) and this language ... think about it. I do not understand the free software policy ... I believe that everyone's work must be properly paid. What do you think about it ?

:rolleyes:

How much do you pay for powershell?  Do you make your checks out directly to Jeffrey Snover? 

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

5 hours ago, Efo74 said:

What do you think about it ?

The open source movement is good. Free software is good.
Here we share the code. Code you yourself learned from. Powershell could learn a thing or two, but is what's available.

As far as money. Money flows in accordance to one's own resources and that varies from town to town, country to country, person to person.
You too have shared for free, so you see, money is not everything, nor makes charging for everything, more money.

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

21 hours ago, Efo74 said:

What do you think about it ?

Well, while AutoIt is well and truly good enough to pay for, and a good number of us have donated, unless you have a Crystal Ball, how do you know how good or bad donations have been?

And surely it is Jon' prerogative to choose what he is happy with, and none of us should be second guessing that.

And like has been said, money isn't everything. I say that as a coder who has provided many scripts and programs here for free, and who is an advocate for free software. That's not to say I don't agree with people not being compensated for all their hard work, I just believe in the bigger picture, and that sometimes compensation comes in other ways.

But for the sake of an intelligent discussion about it, let's look at the logic.

How many languages do you know of, that are at all similar to AutoIt, that you have to pay for?

What do you think would have likely happened if Jon had charged from the start?

AutoIt has a huge fan base, and dare I say, many of those fans are fanatical about it, and not really in the same manner as you get for most other languages, which if they have fans, tends to be for different reasons.

Let me re-iterate though, that AutoIt is certainly worth paying for, and many here feel the same as I do about that.

Jon, the creator of AutoIt, has had almost two decades now to reconsider his gift for free stance.

I, and I am sure I speak for many, are eternally grateful to Jon and Team, for what they have in their generosity gifted the world, and I hope Jon especially feels compensated enough. I know in the past, that donations have gone toward paying for the hosting of the forum etc, and I would certainly feel terrible if Jon was ever out of pocket for that, after being so generous to all of us.

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

@Dana86,

well, you are just considering python vs autoit on Windows. Python runs on everything so you can do cross-platform development and testing with it. 

still, they are both nice scripting languages that I find highly useful.

As for respect, punks out of college usually think they are hot to trot, so you can probably forget about respect these days. my kid is 20 now and still thinks he knows everything--despite the fact that I have way more experiences and education from which to draw on--so just consider the source I guess. lol

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

The beauty of free software is that anyone can use and share it, and it enables many people to expand their horizons with almost zero investment (not counting time, of course). Like @TheSaint has said, it enables people. Enables them to take true control of their computer!

There are many ways to monitize free sofware, one way is to run ads on the forum (this forum runs ads for unregistered users). And donations are of course part of the picture, with enough users a developer can sustain himself to work on the project based on their donations. I know a few people who have managed to accomplish this.

15 hours ago, Earthshine said:

well, you are just considering python vs autoit on Windows. Python runs on everything so you can do cross-platform development and testing with it. 

I miss AutoIt ever since I switched to Linux, where I mainly program JavaScript as part of my job. Though I hope to change the situation one day with my project, I am thinking about starting work on it soon.

Edited by TheDcoder

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

5 hours ago, TheDcoder said:

I miss AutoIt ever since I switched to Linux, where I mainly program JavaScript as part of my job. Though I hope to change the situation one day with my project, I am thinking about starting work on it soon.

I am sure you can make an AutoIt for Linux. you have quite a bit of work to do with just writing a compiler/interpreter

I see you laughing at me, see? no respect... LOL 🙂

@Dana86, I am a big believer in using the proper tools for the job. Whatever is most useful.

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

10 minutes ago, argumentum said:

...and this is closer to a "Chat" topic than a "AutoIt Technical Discussion"

Technically (sic) you are no doubt right.

But I guess it meets the requirement of two out of the three words - AutoIt Discussion. :muttley:

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

2 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

make an AutoIt for Linux. you have quite a bit of work to do with just writing a compiler

hmm, I'd go like interpreted code rather than machine-code compile. To future proof the code across the immensity of Linux flavors.  ( my view tho, would not mind machine code )

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

1 hour ago, Earthshine said:

I am sure you can make an AutoIt for Linux. you have quite a bit of work to do with just writing a compiler/interpreter

Indeed, that is one of the reasons why I am struggling to find the time for it, a lot of research involved.

1 hour ago, Earthshine said:

I see you laughing at me, see? no respect... LOL 🙂

I was laughing at the part mentioning the college kids :lol:

1 hour ago, argumentum said:

hmm, I'd go like interpreted code rather than machine-code compile. To future proof the code across the immensity of Linux flavors.  ( my view tho, would not mind machine code )

There are advantages in both approaches. For my project I am planning to do a hybrid approach, where the plain text script will compile to a processed binary file, so that the actual interperter doesn't have to deal with parsing strings. Python uses a similar approach I think.

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion