[SOLVED] to chop a DB in chunks to speed up search

I was thinking but I don't have the experience, so you may have the experience.
I was thinking to chop a DB with 100.000 ( 20 columns ) in 10.000 DB chunks ( 10 DBs ) and query concurrently all of them to speed up a search, then add the results. Is that a sound idea ? Or will I run in trouble down the road. Should a DB better be keep in one piece ?

The DB is now in MySQL. I wanna do all this chopping and use SQLite. 

Thanks

[solved]

Edited by argumentum
[SOLVED]

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

Yes 100,000 rows is a quite small DB.  Put your table in a memory SQLite DB.  Recently we made it work with a 100k table, and response time for a single row was about 0.30 ms.  Of course it will depends on how many rows you want to fetch each single query.  You may need to add indexes to accelerate the query, but I would personally not divide the DB like you intend to.

Post the full schema of your DB and the queries you find slow.

Posting a sample of rows would help fine-tunning.

In general, sliptting a DB is almost always a very bad idea.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

right, you need to get the tables indexed properly and optimize your queries first and foremost

i worked for an energy company with many millions of customers (every customer was a complex entity, and one customer could have many accounts)... they partitioned and segmented their DB for optimal performance across the organization. you should never need to if the db is designed properly for your needs.

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

2 hours ago, Nine said:

Recently we made it work with a 100k table, and response time for a single row was about 0.30 ms.

2 hours ago, jchd said:

In general, sliptting a DB is almost always a very bad idea.

1 hour ago, Earthshine said:

you need to get the tables indexed properly and optimize your queries first and foremost

Ok, an overwhelming "don't spit the DB". That answers the question regarding a faster search.

Reviewing the timings to continue this post, ...I'll have to go deeper in the PHP.
The search takes 1~4 ms. to return the query, but the browser say that it took 1~3 sec. waiting (TTFB) . The transfer of the JSON (content download) took 80 ms.
So I come to conclude the the "ArrayToJSON()" in PHP is the slowdown and is obviously unrelated to the DB search.

A good question would then be: can I have the DB engine return the query as JSON ? and that I did not researched.

As far as the OP, the question is clearly answer. Thanks y'all :) 

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png