Global / Local Scope

Heya,

haven't been here for a long time, because i always use autoit easiliy. But i am having trouble with a simple thing. The Global and Local scope doesn't work as i thought so. Normally, the GLOBAL scope enables a variable to be accessed in the whole script and a local only accessible inside it's position (script/function area access).

Well i found out that this isn't the case in Autoit. Can someone explain me how it exactly works, because it isn't explained 100% in the autoit manual. It only tells:

Dim = Local scope if the variable name doesn't already exist globally (in which case it reuses the global variable!)

Global = Forces creation of the variable in the Global scope

Local = Forces creation of the variable in the Local/Function scope

-----------

I want to understand this scopes better to create my thingy for my mother and to be ready on mothers day :).

Func DataSearch()
    Global $SEARCHITEM[$DATAMAX]
    MsgBox(0,"",$SEARCHITEM[1])

;;  --Renew List
    For $x=1 To $DATAMAX Step 1
        If Not $SEARCHITEM[$x] = "" Then
            MsgBox(0,"", $SEARCHITEM[$x])
            GUICtrlDelete($SEARCHITEM[$x])
        Else
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
    Next

;;  --Declaration
    Local   $POST   =   GUICtrlRead($INPUTSEARCH[0])
    Local   $STRAAT =   GUICtrlRead($INPUTSEARCH[1])
    Local   $NUMMER =   GUICtrlRead($INPUTSEARCH[2])

Local   $OCCURENCE[$DATAMAX]
    Local   $OCCMAX

Local   $DATA_INDEX =   FileIndex()

Local   $MATCHX
    Local   $MATCHFOUND[$DATAMAX]

If $POST="" Or $STRAAT="" Then
        MsgBox(032, "Zoeken gefaald", "Het zoeken is gefaald. Kijk of het postcode en het straat is ingevuld.")

Else
        ;;  --Rough Occurence Search
        For $x=1 To $DATA_INDEX Step 1
            $DATA_STRING    =   FileReadLine($DATAFILE, $x)

If $NUMMER = "" Then
                $RESULT =   StringInStr($DATA_STRING, "[POSTCODE]"&$POST&"[/POSTCODE][STRAAT]"&$STRAAT&"[/STRAAT]")
                If Not $RESULT = 0 Then
                    $OCCMAX+=1
                    $OCCURENCE[$OCCMAX] =   $DATA_STRING
                EndIf
            Else
                $RESULT =   StringInStr($DATA_STRING, "[POSTCODE]"&$POST&"[/POSTCODE][STRAAT]"&$STRAAT&"[/STRAAT]"&"[HUISNUMMER]"&$NUMMER&"[/HUISNUMMER]")
                If Not $RESULT = 0 Then
                    $OCCMAX+=1
                    $OCCURENCE[$OCCMAX] =   $DATA_STRING
                EndIf
            EndIf
        Next

Local   $SEARCHITEMX

For $x=1 To $OCCMAX Step 1
            $DATA_INPUT =   $OCCURENCE[$x]
            If Not $DATA_INPUT = "" Then
                $POST   =   _StringBetween($DATA_INPUT, "[POSTCODE]", "[/POSTCODE]")
                $STREET =   _StringBetween($DATA_INPUT, "[STRAAT]", "[/STRAAT]")
                $NUMBER =   _StringBetween($DATA_INPUT, "[HUISNUMMER]", "[/HUISNUMMER]")
                $PHONE  =   _StringBetween($DATA_INPUT, "[TELEFOON]", "[/TELEFOON]")
                $MORE   =   _StringBetween($DATA_INPUT, "[COMMENT]", "[/COMMENT]")

If Not @error = 1 Then
                    $SEARCHITEMX+=1
                    $SEARCHITEM[$SEARCHITEMX]   =   GUICtrlCreateListViewItem($POST[0]&"|"&$STREET[0]&"|"&$NUMBER[0]&"|"&$PHONE[0]&"|"&$MORE[0], $LISTSEARCH)
                    MsgBox(0,"", $SEARCHITEMX)
                EndIf
            EndIf
        Next
    EndIf
EndFunc

Everything works fine here, except that the array $SEARCHITEM cannot be read on the start of the script. I've tried to Globalize the $SEARCHITEM array, so that LISTITEM controls can be put into here and be deleted on the start of the script.

well hope that people will quikly help me, my script is not done and mothers day is coming soon :(

immense aka naruto

Edited by Immense

More code would be useful. I'm pretty sure you shouldn't declare a Global var in a function that is re-run.

Spoiler

Things I've Made: Always On Top Tool ◊ AU History ◊ Deck of Cards ◊ HideIt ◊ ICU ◊ Icon Freezer ◊ Ipod Ejector ◊ Junos Configuration Explorer ◊ Link Downloader ◊ MD5 Folder Enumerator ◊ PassGen ◊ Ping Tool ◊ Quick NIC ◊ Read OCR ◊ RemoteIT ◊ SchTasksGui ◊ SpyCam ◊ System Scan Report Tool ◊ System UpTime ◊ Transparency Machine ◊ VMWare ESX Builder
Misc Code Snippets: ADODB Example ◊ CheckHover ◊ Detect SafeMode ◊ DynEnumArray ◊ GetNetStatData ◊ HashArray ◊ IsBetweenDates ◊ Local Admins ◊ Make Choice ◊ Recursive File List ◊ Remove Sizebox Style ◊ Retrieve PNPDeviceID ◊ Retreive SysListView32 Contents ◊ Set IE Homepage ◊ Tickle Expired Password ◊ Transpose Array
Projects: Drive Space Usage GUI ◊ LEDkIT ◊ Plasma_kIt ◊ Scan Engine Builder ◊ SpeeDBurner ◊ SubnetCalc
Cool Stuff: AutoItObject UDF â—Š Extract Icon From Proc â—Š GuiCtrlFontRotate â—Š Hex Edit Funcs â—Š Run binary â—Š Service_UDF

Heya,

haven't been here for a long time, because i always use autoit easiliy. But i am having trouble with a simple thing. The Global and Local scope doesn't work as i thought so. Normally, the GLOBAL scope enables a variable to be accessed in the whole script and a local only accessible inside it's position (script/function area access).

Well i found out that this isn't the case in Autoit. Can someone explain me how it exactly works, because it isn't explained 100% in the autoit manual. It only tells:

Dim = Local scope if the variable name doesn't already exist globally (in which case it reuses the global variable!)

Global = Forces creation of the variable in the Global scope

Local = Forces creation of the variable in the Local/Function scope

Everything works fine here, except that the array $SEARCHITEM cannot be read on the start of the script. I've tried to Globalize the $SEARCHITEM array, so that LISTITEM controls can be put into here and be deleted on the start of the script.

well hope that people will quikly help me, my script is not done and mothers day is coming soon :(

immense aka naruto

Dim is deprecated in AutoIt (per a syntax check message received when using the full verification options). That means it may go away some day soon. Explicit Global/Local is preferred.

It's OK to change a global variable's value inside a function, but they should not be DECLARED inside a function. This will also generate warning from the syntax checker.

Local should be used to declare variables inside a function whose values are only significant in that instance of the function. The Local declared inside a function can have the same name as an existing Global, but will not be the same variable and will not interfere with the Global variable's value.

Global $MyVar
_FuncOne()
_FuncTwo()
ConsoleWrite("$MyVar = " & $MyVar & @LF)

Func _FuncOne()
    $MyVar = "Global set by _FuncOne"
EndFunc

Func _FuncTwo()
    Local $MyVar = "Local set by _FuncTwo"
    ConsoleWrite("$MyVar = " & $MyVar & @LF)
EndFunc

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Aahh, that cleared alot for me, thanks PsaltyDS.

So, if i create the array outside the function (so global) it will be able to be accessed from the function too, unless i write LOCAL into it, which will create an other array only available in the function (local scope)!

So the following $array holds 4 listviewitems control identifiers, am i right ?

(made a simple script)

Global Const $CONSTANT_INFINITY = 5000

Global $array[$CONSTANT_INFINITY]
Global $SOMEDATA[$CONSTANT_INFINITY]

$SOMEDATA[1] = "bla | bla | bla"
$SOMEDATA[2] = "bla | bla | bla"
$SOMEDATA[3] = "bla | bla | bla"
$SOMEDATA[4] = "bla | bla | bla"

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Func Test()
 Local $AMOUNT
 For $x=1 To $CONSTANT_INFINITY Step 1
  If Not $SOMEDATA[$x] = "" Then
   $AMOUNT+=1
   $array[$AMOUNT] = GUICTRLCREATELISTVIEWITEM(BLABLABLA)
  Else
   Exitloop
  EndIf
 Next
EndFunc

I have attached my full script in here. If you want to help me to solve this wicked puzzle please do :)

Thanks for all help given !

immense aka naruto

adressenboek___050508_1735__.au3

Aahh, that cleared alot for me, thanks PsaltyDS.

So, if i create the array outside the function (so global) it will be able to be accessed from the function too, unless i write LOCAL into it, which will create an other array only available in the function (local scope)!

So the following $array holds 4 listviewitems control identifiers, am i right ?

(made a simple script)

Global Const $CONSTANT_INFINITY = 5000

Global $array[$CONSTANT_INFINITY]
Global $SOMEDATA[$CONSTANT_INFINITY]

$SOMEDATA[1] = "bla | bla | bla"
$SOMEDATA[2] = "bla | bla | bla"
$SOMEDATA[3] = "bla | bla | bla"
$SOMEDATA[4] = "bla | bla | bla"

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Func Test()
 Local $AMOUNT
 For $x=1 To $CONSTANT_INFINITY Step 1
  If Not $SOMEDATA[$x] = "" Then
   $AMOUNT+=1
   $array[$AMOUNT] = GUICTRLCREATELISTVIEWITEM(BLABLABLA)
  Else
   Exitloop
  EndIf
 Next
EndFunc
You've got the right idea, but this will fail when $x = $CONSTANT_INFINITY because arrays are indexed zero-based, so an array with 5000 elements ends at element 4999. Also, Step 1 is the default, so not needed here:
For $x = 0 To $CONSTANT_INFINITY - 1

Another minor point is that you declare $AMOUNT with a default null value, which is not the same thing as 0, exactly. Since you intend to use it as an integer counter, consider "Local $AMOUNT = 0" instead. AutoIt automatically converts many variable types as required, and this probably works, but might not in every case.

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Yeah i know PsaltyDS, i know them both, but they won't result as a 'fatal' error. Also, i was making it very quick. :)

Well i've tried to put the Global declaration outside the function zone, but it didnt work :S. Instead, it says that the subscriptions (amount of arrays available i.e [1000]) isn't enough, but that isn't true. So the program couldn't read the array if i put it in the global scope.... anyone can help ? My script is already in the attachments above.

naruto aka immense

Edited by Immense