Deny access to a folder

Theres a file on some computers called System Volume Information, and it can't be accessed, it gives you an error message, can that be done in autoit? I tried all of the FileSetAttrib attributes and none of them have the same effect...

I want [to make]a folder to do the same thing

Edited by VindicatorOmega

[center]"When you look at old, classic games like Snake, you often put it off because it's such a simple game, but it's only when you actually try and create your own unique game from scratch, do you finally appreciate those games."[/center][center]Don't ask for answers if you haven't TRIED yet![/center][center]Most answers can be answered in the help file! Use it![/center]

Theres a file on some computers called System Volume Information, and it can't be accessed, it gives you an error message, can that be done in autoit? I tried all of the FileSetAttrib attributes and none of them have the same effect...

That is a special folder in Windows XP (2003 svr) That can only be accessed by the SYSTEM account. Is stores recovery info there like System Restore.

Well if your user doesn't have permissions to do it, then no script you run will (unless its a system program). Why do you need to access that? Messing with system volume info will do nothing but make your computer unbootable :P Most of the time at least, but I'm curious as to what you are doing.

Regards,Josh

no no, i'm not trying to acess it, i'm trying to make another folder to do the same, for example, my music folder cause i dont like people touching my music

plus this is my own personal computer, im admin. i save my system user for just-in-case situations

Edited by VindicatorOmega

[center]"When you look at old, classic games like Snake, you often put it off because it's such a simple game, but it's only when you actually try and create your own unique game from scratch, do you finally appreciate those games."[/center][center]Don't ask for answers if you haven't TRIED yet![/center][center]Most answers can be answered in the help file! Use it![/center]

no no, i'm not trying to acess it, i'm trying to make another folder to do the same, for example, my music folder cause i dont like people touching my music

plus this is my own personal computer, im admin. i save my system user for just-in-case situations

Look for SetACL which gives you full control over the access control lists (ACL) for files/folders/shares/registry/etc. It's all command line and very scriptable.

It also has a .dll version, but your question sounds more basic than that.

:P

P.S. If it's only one time on one folder of course, you could just right-click and use the Security Tab of the properties.

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

You can lock it down like PsaltyDS said, however even if you remove all permissions from the folder, whatever account created it will be the owner of the folder and has access to change the permissions. If you don't want people messing with that folder, make it only accessible by your account, and then log out when you are done, or just lock the machine. Setting ACL will only be security via obscurity, and if the user knows anything about computers, they know that they can just change the permissions if they are using your account.