Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Documentation visual style feedback

84 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

In AutoIt beta 3.3.7.22 the documentation has undergone a visual style change. Please leave all feedback (positive and negative) in this thread so we can fine tune the style before release.

Posted (edited) · Report post

As I've mentioned previously I'm liking the overall style of the Help file.

A couple of points to make:

1. What used to be grey text in the 'Example' section is being displayed as red text e.g. the WinAPI.au3 in #include <WinAPI.au3> is displaying as red text.

2. An extra line break between Parameters, Return Value, Remarks, Related & Example.

Thanks for the update.

Edited by guinness

Posted · Report post

I don't know if trancexx changed the colors in examples or if that was a glitch in how I built it. I like the colors, though, because they are closer to my own.

As for extra line breaks, those are probably intentional. trancexx, you should probably explain the rationale behind this visual style. I think guinness may be the first of many who think extra whitespace is a mistake and not a design feature.

Posted · Report post

I like the new style overall, but I have a couple of minor points:

- 1. The font in the "text" pages (e.g. Introduction, Command Line Parameters) is too large. In the example pages it is fine other than the initial explanation line above the syntax box which is of the same size as the "text" pages.

- 2. There are too many added blank lines in the example pages (as guinness mentioned above). It makes the whole page look too washed out and forces unnecessary scrolling.

trancexx,

Valik's comments seem to indicate that you were behind these changes. Please take the above as constructive criticism - I think the overall style is great improvement on what went before. :D

M23

Posted · Report post

Valik's comments seem to indicate that you were behind these changes. Please take the above as constructive criticism - I think the overall style is great improvement on what went before. :D

M23

Valik did that intentionally. You believe him?

I saw new help file 30 minutes ago for the first time. I would have chosen thinner font for some stuff, for example.

Posted · Report post

trancexx,

You believe him?

Of course! Would our beloved leader ever tell intentional untruths? :D

Well, perhaps..... :oops:

M23

Posted · Report post

Valik did that intentionally. You believe him?

I saw new help file 30 minutes ago for the first time. I would have chosen thinner font for some stuff, for example.

Do not make me move the thread to a more visible forum. Also they can just look at the logs on the CSS and HTML files you changed to see who the author is.

Posted · Report post

I like it, more MSDN flavor. I think the bigger font and extra space makes for easier reading. Maybe that's my oldish eyes talking...

Posted · Report post

the orange text looks nice but I think the old black was easier to read on the white background.

Posted · Report post

I like the new looks of it. The extra white space is a little much, but I can see how it can work. Looking at the source for the 3.3.6.1 help files, those extra line breaks were there already. It looks like they were needed with the old style, but not as much now.

Posted · Report post

The new documentation style gets the thumbs up from me. I find it much easier to read and generally looks cleaner. The extra whitespace and coloured headings makes the different sections stand out.

Posted · Report post

I'm of the exact opposite opinion, while I like the colors and such.

The excess whitespace makes for bad readability, for me. The font for the code examples are too small compared to the rest of the page information, it looks like it was thrown in as an after thought and shrunk to fit. The header text is FAR too large in comparison to the rest of the text on the page and isn't needed to be that large for a help file entry.

Vote for new style in documentation, i really like it.

It's now much cleaner and readable, i have no problem with reading it. It looks like the MSDN and it makes me to feel better.

Edited by D4RKON3
Manadar likes this

Posted · Report post

If someone would be wondering what music goes with the new style, the answer is this one.

Posted · Report post

I personally don't really care for the large fonts, & the headings are too large even with the larger body text. Also, there are some inconsistent font sizes in some articles, e.g. String Regular expression Tutorial

The excess whitespace makes for bad readability, for me. The font for the code examples are too small compared to the rest of the page information, it looks like it was thrown in as an after thought and shrunk to fit. The header text is FAR too large in comparison to the rest of the text on the page and isn't needed to be that large for a help file entry.

The same for me.

I think:

- section header without blue background as in previous version is worse

- header text (function name) is too big

- orange color of section names is bad - should be more dark and more bold, maybe some better color

- too much spaces (empty rows) between sections - it looks really worse than in previous version

- font for example scripts is too small - should be the same as in previous version

- button "Open this script" doesn't work for me (in 3.2.12.1 release it works fine)

- all (not auto generated?) pages beside Functions/UDFs are with bad font (bold/too big)

I don't like new style. Previous one was much better.

EDIT:

- button "Open this script" doesn't work for me (in 3.2.12.1 release it works fine)

It didn't work when helpfile was opened by installer during update. At that moment also index Tab of helpfile was empty. After reopening helpfile (close+open) all works fine.

Edited by Zedna

Posted · Report post

It looks like we have a Marmite situation developing.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

perhaps it is because of the small font, but the font in the example code seems to be Italic,

and that makes it less readable.

The general colourscheme is an improvement though.

Posted · Report post

If you guys see pages that do not match the new theme then please list them. Unfortunately the documentation isn't as... elegant as it could be with regards to web technology (Lots of styles are hard-coded). We need some help spotting all these pages so if you see one please tell us where it is.

Posted · Report post

Other than the aforementioned whitespace issue, I like the new look. It looks -- friendly.

Posted · Report post

If you guys see pages that do not match the new theme then please list them. Unfortunately the documentation isn't as... elegant as it could be with regards to web technology (Lots of styles are hard-coded). We need some help spotting all these pages so if you see one please tell us where it is.

I think these are all "top level" pages which are not in submenu in help index

The string "Function Reference" is better as annoying blue

Font names function better, but not so large

Description of functions - ideally

The orange color "Parameters" - okay.

Many space. No pages will not fit on the screen. Every page needs to scroll the text.

The red color in the examples are too bright. The font is too small in the examples. By the way, I like the font Arial (sans serif).

It would be nice to duplicate the button "Open this Script" in the beginning, not to scroll the text (example)

Edited by AZJIO

Posted · Report post

Everything is real nice, certainly an improvement, but If I would have done them, I would have done a little different on color.

Posted · Report post

Really... It's not that this style is bad, but I prefer the old style.

Too big, too unecessary scroll...

Posted · Report post

What's wrong with scrolling? Is it really hard to drag your finger over the mouse scroll?

In my opinion the new style is relay nice, i like it and i feel good while reading the help file in new style. It speak with me in some ways!