Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GodForsakenSoul

two and half in the price of one

6 posts in this topic

i have two questions that are somewhat unrelated.

1) i want to have my program connect to a server on the internet, read a file, compare it to another file on the harddrive and conclude whether the data matches or not. i'm assuming it means go into the "network managment" part of the help file. i believe i'm on the correct path.

problem is, i haven't got a slightest clue on how to do it. don't even know how i should tackle (sp?) this new problem, or from which angle.

so yeah, punt me in the generally right direction. ;)

2) related directly to q1, i have no idea where i can actually store my file. :evil:

sure, i can google "free hosting" or something, but i'm not sure that "free hosting" is in fact what i'm looking for. i suspect it's a different keyword or combination and i don't know what it is. yes, not exactly an AutoIT related question, but i'm sure no one wants me to make 3 different threads.

3) completely unrelated to the first two: i want to hide my gui in a tray. SPECIFICALLY tray. while i can use hotkeyset() to link it to a function that GuiSetState($mygui, @SW_HIDE)'s it, i would OPTIMALLY like the tray. if it turns out to be more problematic then anticipated, i'll gladly accept the former idea. can't be larger then 30 lines... right? :evil:

i have two questions that are somewhat unrelated.

1) i want to have my program connect to a server on the internet, read a file, compare it to another file on the harddrive and conclude whether the data matches or not. i'm assuming it means go into the "network managment" part of the help file. i believe i'm on the correct path.

problem is, i haven't got a slightest clue on how to do it. don't even know how i should tackle (sp?) this new problem, or from which angle.

so yeah, punt me in the generally right direction. ;)

2) related directly to q1, i have no idea where i can actually store my file. :evil:

sure, i can google "free hosting" or something, but i'm not sure that "free hosting" is in fact what i'm looking for. i suspect it's a different keyword or combination and i don't know what it is. yes, not exactly an AutoIT related question, but i'm sure no one wants me to make 3 different threads.

3) completely unrelated to the first two: i want to hide my gui in a tray. SPECIFICALLY tray. while i can use hotkeyset() to link it to a function that GuiSetState($mygui, @SW_HIDE)'s it, i would OPTIMALLY like the tray. if it turns out to be more problematic then anticipated, i'll gladly accept the former idea. can't be larger then 30 lines... right? :evil:

Ad 1) What do you want to achieve? Couldn't this be done with two local versions of the file? How often do the files change? What do you want to do when there is a difference?

I can think of HTTP or FTP to get the file from the internet (because there are UDFs available for this protocols). Where to store? Rapidshare or something similar?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
PowerPoint (2015-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

-sigh-

this is probably an unhappy issue here but... i'd like to try and work out the registration of software concept.

go to sotrage thing

compare current key with the one the storage thing

if keys are correct, grant full access, otherwise don't.

if i were to store it.. i think i'd go for ftp because from what i gather it has the basic idea of "folders" without actually needing to build a site. ;)

i have exacly zero knowledge on the topic.

Did you have a look at XProtec? I haven't used it myself but maybe it solves some/all of your problems?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

interesting. theoretically it solves my problems, but the point is that i want to build it myself.

for the experience and such...

From your previous postings in this topic I get the impression that this project is far too complex for your current knowledge.

I would try to "decipher" the source code of XProtec so you can understand the concepts of this script.

To learn how to write AutoIt scripts I would start with smaller projects that give you faster (positive) results.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki