Windows Security

James

Hey all,

So for my latest project, I'm accessing the Twitter API (which has worked perfectly). Upon first install, the script asks for the username and password, then sends a check to the Twitter credential verification file. Which is fine, until a dialog box appears from "Windows Security" asks for the same information.

To the users who have been testing my script, they originally thought it was spyware of some sort, even though I've re-assured them, this is just Windows being safe. But... It then got a little worse. Not only did it ask for the same information once, sometimes it could be asking twice or three times.

The offending window looks like this:

post-18298-12642593703956_thumb.png

I thank Windows for being this secure, but does it really need to do this and is there a way I can bypass this action?

For the record, I'm using the Microsoft.XMLHTTP object to send the data to Twitter.

Thanks,

James

I just had a thought Posted Image I'm going to try elevating the users powers by running it as an admin. Perhaps this has a different effect.

Nope, that didn't work.

Edited by JamesBrooks

So Richard Robertson and I have discussed this and it seems logical that I need to write to the Credentials Manager. Taking a better look at the situation and it turns out not be as easy as first expected.

Credential Structure

CredWrite

Surely there must be a better way of going about this?

Edited by JamesBrooks

• 5 months later...

I would like your opinion James on the Twitter UDF I just published in the forums. Here's the link -> Twitter UDF. It includes OAuth authentication.

It sounds like you may have got a Microsoft.XMLHTTP object to work with the Twitter API. Was that with OAuth?? I tried for the best part of a day to get such an object to work with Twitter and OAuth but failed. Twitter always rejected my signature as invalid. I ended up going with a Javascript solution for my UDF that works.

Edited by seangriffin

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

Chrome UDF - Automate Chrome | SAP UDF - Automate SAP | Java UDF - Automate Java Applications & Applets | Tesseract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications, controls and the desktop | Textract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications and controls | FileSystemMonitor UDF - File, Folder, Drive and Shell Monitoring | VLC (Media Player) UDF - Creating and controlling a VLC control in AutoIT | Google Maps UDF - Creating and controlling Google Maps (inc. GE) in AutoIT | SAPIListBox (Speech Recognition) UDF - Speech Recognition via the Microsoft Speech (SAPI) ListBox | eBay UDF - Automate eBay using the eBay API | ChildProc (Parallel Processing) UDF - Parallel processing functions for AutoIT | HyperCam (Screen Recording) UDF - Automate the HyperCam screen recorder | Twitter UDF - Automate Twitter using OAuth and the Twitter API | cURL UDF - a UDF for transferring data with URL syntax

See my other Tools:

Rapid Menu Writer - Add menus to DVDs in seconds | TV Player - Automates the process of playing videos on an external TV / Monitor | Rapid Video Converter - A tool for resizing and reformatting videos | [topic130531]Rapid DVD Creator - Convert videos to DVD fast and for free | ZapPF - A tool for killing processes and recycling files | Sean's eBay Bargain Hunter - Find last minute bargains in eBay using AutoIT | Sean's GUI Inspector - A scripting tool for querying GUIs | TransLink Journey Planner with maps - Incorporating Google Maps into an Australian Journey Planner | Automate Qt and QWidgets | Brisbane City Council Event Viewer - See what's going on in Brisbane, Australia

seangriffin,

I've taken a quick look at it and was impressed. I never even thought about doing it the way you did.

It sounds like you may have got a Microsoft.XMLHTTP object to work with the Twitter API. Was that with OAuth?? I tried for the best part of a day to get such an object to work with Twitter and OAuth but failed. Twitter always rejected my signature as invalid. I ended up going with a Javascript solution for my UDF that works.

oAuth doesn't work via Microsoft.XMLHTTP - well that's a half lie, you still need to send the data some how. The problem I kept coming across when writing an actual UDF for Twitter oAuth was that it's basically impossible full stop.

So many things AutoIt can't do (without alot of digging anyway).

I ended up sending my web server parameters to send the data to Twitter using a PHP code.

James

oAuth doesn't work via Microsoft.XMLHTTP - well that's a half lie, you still need to send the data some how. The problem I kept coming across when writing an actual UDF for Twitter oAuth was that it's basically impossible full stop.

Yeah I feel your grief now, after spending many hours on the problem myself :blink:

Is it documented some where that OAuth doesn't work with Microsoft.XMLHTTP? Would put my mind at ease to see this is stated formally somewhere.

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

Chrome UDF - Automate Chrome | SAP UDF - Automate SAP | Java UDF - Automate Java Applications & Applets | Tesseract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications, controls and the desktop | Textract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications and controls | FileSystemMonitor UDF - File, Folder, Drive and Shell Monitoring | VLC (Media Player) UDF - Creating and controlling a VLC control in AutoIT | Google Maps UDF - Creating and controlling Google Maps (inc. GE) in AutoIT | SAPIListBox (Speech Recognition) UDF - Speech Recognition via the Microsoft Speech (SAPI) ListBox | eBay UDF - Automate eBay using the eBay API | ChildProc (Parallel Processing) UDF - Parallel processing functions for AutoIT | HyperCam (Screen Recording) UDF - Automate the HyperCam screen recorder | Twitter UDF - Automate Twitter using OAuth and the Twitter API | cURL UDF - a UDF for transferring data with URL syntax

See my other Tools:

Rapid Menu Writer - Add menus to DVDs in seconds | TV Player - Automates the process of playing videos on an external TV / Monitor | Rapid Video Converter - A tool for resizing and reformatting videos | [topic130531]Rapid DVD Creator - Convert videos to DVD fast and for free | ZapPF - A tool for killing processes and recycling files | Sean's eBay Bargain Hunter - Find last minute bargains in eBay using AutoIT | Sean's GUI Inspector - A scripting tool for querying GUIs | TransLink Journey Planner with maps - Incorporating Google Maps into an Australian Journey Planner | Automate Qt and QWidgets | Brisbane City Council Event Viewer - See what's going on in Brisbane, Australia

Is it documented some where that OAuth doesn't work with Microsoft.XMLHTTP? Would put my mind at ease to see this is stated formally somewhere.

Ignore what I said about that. That's the only way of sending data anywhere properly. And I completely forgot that I wrote a Javascript oAuth library which does the same thing - XMLHTTP.