Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ascend4nt

Itanium 64-bit AutoIT version?

6 posts in this topic

Just a simple question - is there any native 64-bit Itanium versions of AutoIT? I did some searches and didn't see anything that indicated there was a native Itanium version, so I'm assuming no.

In that case, its safe to assume under Itanium architectures, AutoIT only runs a 32-bit version, correct. And if so, I assume there wouldn't be any plans to develop any native 64-bit Itanium versions either?

I'm only curious because some 64-bit structures differ based on the chipset (thread Context structures, for example). Plus, there's a difference in 64-bit low-level programming (which I do on occasion - as crazy as I am).

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·  Posted (edited)

Just a simple question - is there any native 64-bit Itanium versions of AutoIT? I did some searches and didn't see anything that indicated there was a native Itanium version, so I'm assuming no.

In that case, its safe to assume under Itanium architectures, AutoIT only runs a 32-bit version, correct. And if so, I assume there wouldn't be any plans to develop any native 64-bit Itanium versions either?

I'm only curious because some 64-bit structures differ based on the chipset (thread Context structures, for example). Plus, there's a difference in 64-bit low-level programming (which I do on occasion - as crazy as I am).

Thanks in advance!

AFAIK as I know there is no version supporting the Itanium.

Furthermore I doubt support will be added especially since it seems the Microsoft is actually phasing out support for the Itanium. Not to mention I doubt any of the devs have access to such hardware (or at least enough access)

Link

Regards,FuryCell

Edited by FuryCell

HKTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeLyricToy:Softpedia | GoogleCodeRCTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeMichtaToolsProgrammer n. - An ingenious device that turns caffeine into code.

Furycell,

Ahh, I should have seen that article (MaximumPC fan myself)! I was guessing based on the lack of any developer response that they don't have a native version, though of course they do recognize the architecture (@OSArch will return "IA64" for Itanium chipsets).

I did go ahead and look into the AutoIT install and there was only two versions of AutoIT's executable - one 32-bit, the other 64-bit (just the x86-64 [x64] version). I take this as further proof, since I see no other alternate downloads, that AutoIT has no native Itanium 64-bit version. This is good in one way (some fewer coding issues to worry about) though certain functions that don't work from 32-bit-to-64-bit processes will fail on Itanium native apps.

But as it is being phased out, and is limited to certain Server O/S builds, its not a big concern.

Thanks for the link, Furycell

#4 ·  Posted (edited)

No problem. btw I'm curious what functions you are talking about that have issues from 32bit to 64bit? It would be some good knowledge to have. =)

Edited by FuryCell

HKTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeLyricToy:Softpedia | GoogleCodeRCTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeMichtaToolsProgrammer n. - An ingenious device that turns caffeine into code.

#5 ·  Posted (edited)

Some 'CreateToolhelp32Snapshot' lists will fail (Heaps/Modules lists), anything having to do with getting memory statistics, and reading from or writing to Process memory, the old standard for getting module file names (GetModuleBaseName, GetModuleFileNameEx - which both have wiser alternatives post-Win2000).. And probably a few others I'm not thinking of at the moment.

*edit (threw in a few more)

Edited by Ascend4nt