Getting an error with arrays...

Skitty

"Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded."

What are the default subscript limits?

What are sub scripts?

I can't post the code since its 3018 lines, too long to post here and only works on my pc so it isn't relevant anyway...

But I keep getting this damn error after adding some more items to an array..

Usually it's a problem with your index exceeding the number of elements in the array.

Let's say you have an array $aArray[10]. As the elements start with 0, you can access them with an index from 0 to 9. If you try to access element 10 you get the described error.

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I suggest you read this before you attempt to use arrays again. You need to find out how they work, and you obviously missed that part of the tutorials.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Usually it's a problem with your index exceeding the number of elements in the array.

Let's say you have an array $aArray[10]. As the elements start with 0, you can access them with an index from 0 to 9. If you try to access element 10 you get the described error.

Thanks, thats exactly whats wrong.

It's a little counter var thats interfering with the array during a Do - Until func...

• 3 weeks later...

As for the limitations of arrays in AutoIt:

"You can use up to 64 dimensions in an Array. The total number of entries cannot be greater than 2^24 (16 777 216)."

:)

Regards,Hannes[spoiler]If you can't convince them, confuse them![/spoiler]

#include <array.au3>

Dim $aArray[5]
$aArray[0] = 1
$aArray[1] = 2
$aArray[2] = 3
$aArray[3] = 4
$aArray[4] = 5

for $i = 0 to 5

If $i > ubound ($aArray) - 1 Then
        msgbox (0, '' , "number of array elements exceeded")
        exitloop
    EndIf

msgbox (0, '' , $aArray[$i])

Next

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

#include <array.au3>

Dim $aArray[5]
$aArray[0] = 1
$aArray[1] = 2
$aArray[2] = 3
$aArray[3] = 4
$aArray[4] = 5

for $i = 0 to 5

msgbox (0, '' , "number of array elements exceeded")
        exitloop
    EndIf

Next

I thought about something like that but honestly I was too lazy to write. :)

And maybe it isn't exactly what "heidenheim" wants... I'd guess he's looking for a global function to catch those errors. :)

Regards,Hannes[spoiler]If you can't convince them, confuse them![/spoiler]

I thought about something like that but honestly I was too lazy to write. :)

And maybe it isn't exactly what "heidenheim" wants... I'd guess he's looking for a global function to catch those errors. :)

Exact, i'm not looking for a way to avoid the error, but to catch it when occurs. I just want to exit the program when it happens, preventing the annoying message box: (Error: Array variable...)

and that would be different from commenting out the msgbox and leaving just the exitloop?

Seriously, yer serious?

#include <array.au3>

Dim $aArray[5]
$aArray[0] = 1
$aArray[1] = 2
$aArray[2] = 3
$aArray[3] = 4
$aArray[4] = 5

for $i = 0 to 5

; msgbox (0, '' , "number of array elements exceeded")
        exitloop
    EndIf

Next

maybe im dense? but I dont get that message when i have the If statement there.

Exact, i'm not looking for a way to avoid the error, but to catch it when occurs.

As in "default behavior without the added check for each array operation in the script".

Imo it's a pretty horrible idea, because you will end up with arrays that do not contain the data you expect them to, but the resulting crash will often be in a completely different part of the script, making debugging an absolute pain.

(Unless you where to keep a log of these errors and can reliably get that log from the clients PC's... etc. Personally I'm not a fan.)

In any case I think that's what he's asking for and afaik it's not possible to catch anything but com errors and handle the return/@error/@Extended values for functions.

Exact, i'm not looking for a way to avoid the error, but to catch it when occurs. I just want to exit the program when it happens, preventing the annoying message box: (Error: Array variable...)

The whole point is to avoid the errors in the first place. If you're looking to make it so that the script never crashes then you're either going to have to code it correctly, or only run it in situations that you're sure will never cause it to crash. Bugs happen, but with proper testing you can eliminate most of them. Sometimes you have to try to be smarter than the users of the scripts, or let others test your scripts before you release them so they can help find situations you didn't think about and find ways to code around them.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Thanks everyone for the advices, the thing is the script runs 24h a day and according to murphy's law no matter how sophisticated the code, if there's a tiny little chance that it crashes, it will crash.

I'll try to handle all the cases and make a log

If you need your script to be up and running 24 hrs you could write a second script to check every x seconds if the main script is still running. If not restart it or send an email or do whatever you want ...

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki