Sign in to follow this  
Javik

Domain - user creation from CSV / Excel

Javik

I am a former Novell / Netware network administrator setting up a new Microsoft 2008 R2 domain this summer, and I need to create about 500 user accounts in the domain in the next two weeks.

Generally it appears that Microsoft does not offer a good way (with error and sanity checking) to read in users from a comma delimited list or from columns in an Excel spreadsheet.

Yes, there are various visual basic scripts on MSDN but they are without error checking, and if an error occurs, the scripts can barf all over the domain and screw things up, potentially leaving droppings here and there in the domain database.

I am resigning myself to the fact that if I want to automate this process and have protections against scripted failure or invalid field data, I am probably going to have to write a tool to do it myself, probably with AutoIT..

Or just do the account creation by hand.. which at 60 seconds per manual account creation, that would be 8.3 hours of extremely repetitive work. Bleah.

water

You could use the written by ProAndy to read the CSV file into a multi dimensional array.

To create a user use my Active Directory UDF, function _AD_CreateUser.

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (2018-06-01 - Version 1.4.9.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2018-09-01 - Version 1.3.4.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
PowerPoint (2017-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:

ADO - Wiki