Beginner's question re: List GUI

If the question has been asked and answered here, I apologize: I couldn't find it anywhere.

A complete beginner's question; I hope it's easy to answer.

Scenario:

1) I have a text file, C:\FILE.TXT.

2) The text file contains three lines:

ONE

TWO

THREE

3) I wish to read the content of the text file into a variable and display each line in a list box to enable the user to choose between "ONE", "TWO", or "THREE" by clicking on the relevant entry in the list box.

I have no trouble reading from the text file. Placing the variable into a message box also provides the list, as in the file, in three lines.

However, the list box, while showing the complete contents of the text file, removes all carriage returns / line feeds. Thus, the list box contains only one item:

ONETWOTHREE

when of course I want the list to display each line of the text file as a distinct item.

I do this sort of thing in Macro Express all the time, where you can easily create a multiple choice window by reading in the contents of a text file; at each CRLF, a new item is added to the array.

I'm sure this is simplicity itself in AutoIt... except not for me.

Thank you for your patience!

Please check function "GUICtrlCreateListView" in the help file. You'll find an example explaining how to use it in a script.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Moderators

OneManInThisWorld,

Welcome to the Autoit forum. :)

If you add data to a List control, the separate items need to be separated by the "DataSeparatorCharacter", not @CRLF, as explained in the Help file ;)

So you need to replace the @CRLF by that character (| by default in AutoIt):

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

$sText = StringReplace(FileRead("List.txt"), @CRLF, "|")

$hGUI = GUICreate("Test", 500, 500)

$hList = GUICtrlCreateList("", 10, 10, 480, 200)
GUICtrlSetData($hList, $sText)

GUISetState()

While 1
    Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
    EndSwitch
WEnd

And now you get your 3 lines - all clear? ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

water and melba23,

thank you for the friendly welcome; and thank you for the solution to my query. I'm quite proficient with Macro Express, but AutoIt is a slightly different animal, and it will take me a while to hone my instincts.

Your solution worked for me instantly; thanks a lot.

Cheers,

OneManInThisWorld