Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mattschinkel

Read Outlook TreeView

9 posts in this topic

Hello, I am having trouble getting the text out of the treeview in Microsoft Outlook. I'd like to write a script that pops up a message box when my inbox shows unread items like; inbox(1).

I know I can create rules, but rules do not work for shared email addresses, and I can't use the outlook UDF because data is stored on the exchange server, not locally.

I am able to get the handle, but not the control ID or text of any items. Here's what I have so far:

#include <GuiTreeView.au3>
Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 2)

$OutlookTree = ControlGetHandle("Microsoft Outlook", "", "[CLASS:NetUIHWND;INSTANCE:1]")
ConsoleWrite("Handle: " & $OutlookTree & @crlf)

$item = GUICtrlRead($OutlookTree) ; Get the controlID of the current selected treeview
ConsoleWrite("Item control ID: " & $item & @crlf)

$text = GUICtrlRead($item, 1) ; Get the text of the treeview item
ConsoleWrite("Item selected text: " & $text & @crlf)

$text = _GUICtrlTreeView_GetItemParam($OutlookTree)
ConsoleWrite("GetItemParam: " & $text & @crlf)

The output is:

Handle: 0x0005040E

Item control ID: 0

Item selected text: 0

GetItemParam: False

Please help!

You could use my extended OutlookEX UDF.

You can either handle the event that's triggered when a new mail arrives. Or if you need to handle mails that arrive while Outlook or your script isn't active you can search a folder for the number of unread mails.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
PowerPoint (2015-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Thanks, This is perfect!

_OL_Example_NewMail_Event.au3 is exactally what I need, I don't even need to modify it :)

:D

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Well... I spoke too soon. It works perfectly for anything in my personal email, but not for the group email account :(

Then please have a look at the example script _OL_ItemFind.au3 - example 4. It searches a folder for unread items and returns just the number.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

I can't search any folder since there isn't one. The mail comes from an networked exchange server. Maybe I should also mention that I can't setup any rules for this group email.

I will need to read the outlook treeview to see if any mail arrives. Any idea's?

Well, I did try your _OL_ItemFind, It seems to work but it takes way too long. I still need to read the outlook treeview to see if any mail arrives unless there is another solution.

This should run faster:

$aFolder = _OL_FolderAccess(...)
$aFolderInfo = _OL_FolderGet($oOL, $aFolder[1])
returns an array where element 7 is the "Number of unread items in the folder"

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki