Autoit DB app

I normally dislike asking these broad questions but I was hoping someone in the forum could provide some insight to a program I want to start (that is a bit out of my programming comfort zone).

I need to create a program that will run off a database. There may be as many as 15 computers running this program and each one will be checking the program every 5-10 minutes or so for updates. Each computer needs to be able to update said database real time.

My problem is I do not really know where to start. I am assuming I could do this with an access database but my guess is this may not be optimal. Is there a general direction or post that someone could point me to? I checked the example scripts and most of them just simply have how to do a single call from a local machine and it doesn’t really address what would happen if I have multiple users running it.

Also for some reason Asmhenry’s access UDF () is not extracting for me which makes this a bit more difficult (that looked promising).

Thanks!

If you are intending on having multiple connections to the DB at once you should really consider a server based solution like mysql or even sql express.

just my two cents.

Edited by spudw2k

I would download and install a WAMP server, there are many to choose from.

If you need only MySQL that is overkill. If you are in a corporate network, there could already exist a MS SQL server, so you could try to use it or install your own MS SQL express server. When you are already using Access, the MS server is a better choice since it integrates seamlessly with it.

*GERMAN* [note: you are not allowed to remove author / modified info from my UDFs]My UDFs:[_SetImageBinaryToCtrl] [_TaskDialog] [AutoItObject] [Animated GIF (GDI+)] [ClipPut for Image] [FreeImage] [GDI32 UDFs] [GDIPlus Progressbar] [Hotkey-Selector] [Multiline Inputbox] [MySQL without ODBC] [RichEdit UDFs] [SpeechAPI Example] [WinHTTP]UDFs included in AutoIt: FTP_Ex (as FTPEx), _WinAPI_SetLayeredWindowAttributes

If you need only MySQL that is overkill.

@Andy. You are correct, except in my personal view, WAMP installers are much easier to come across and use than "dedicated" MySQL server. There are management interfaces, MyPHPAdmin included etc.

Of course, this is _strictly_ for setting up a small test bench environment at home.

I should rightfully have included this info. Thank you for adding it!

I am just a hobby programmer, and nothing great to publish right now.

Thanks for the input. I have never used a WAMP but I suppose I need to look into it. Though there are numerous SQL Servers in my institution though I doubt any of the vendors would allow me to lay a finger on them. I was hoping to have the database reside on a network drive (or worse case scenario my own PC… /ugh).

So should my next step be, download a WAMP and start making calls with the UDF? Where does SQLite come into this and MS Server? Trying to figure out the simplest way to accomplish this.

Thanks,

Ben

If you cannot set up a database server, then sqlite would be a good choice I guess. MS Access files are not designed for concurrent write access. If you only read, then it should be acceptable, though.

MySQL is one server based solution, MS SQL Express another. (WAMP contains Apache, MySQL and PHP)

Edited by ProgAndy

*GERMAN* [note: you are not allowed to remove author / modified info from my UDFs]My UDFs:[_SetImageBinaryToCtrl] [_TaskDialog] [AutoItObject] [Animated GIF (GDI+)] [ClipPut for Image] [FreeImage] [GDI32 UDFs] [GDIPlus Progressbar] [Hotkey-Selector] [Multiline Inputbox] [MySQL without ODBC] [RichEdit UDFs] [SpeechAPI Example] [WinHTTP]UDFs included in AutoIt: FTP_Ex (as FTPEx), _WinAPI_SetLayeredWindowAttributes