Add Network Printer using command line

gkalus

Okay, I'm new here. I have play with this script for a couple of days, off and on. I need a new set of eyes on it. There is no problem with adding the printer port but the printer is another thing - it just doesn't work. I had it working and changed some of the variables and now there is somthing wacky with the second RunWait command.

The print drivers are in a folder called Drivers that is in the same folder the script is in.

Here is the code:

Local $IPAddress = "172.20.20.20"
Local $IPName = "012012"
Local $octet3 = 20
Local $octet4 = 20

Local $PortName = '"'& "IP_" & $IPAddress & '"'

Local $PrinterName = '"'& "HHSPR" &$IPName&'"' ; Check Name "PR" or "RH"
Local $PrtDriver = '"HP Color LaserJet CP2020 Series PCL 6"' ;Name of Print Driver goes here
Local $PrtComment = '"HP Color LaserJet CP2025"' ; Name of printer goes here for comment field
Local $DriveDir = @WorkingDir & "\HP\CP2025\Drivers\autorun.inf" ; Check and change directory and .INF file - Lead with a "\"

;Adding Printing Port
Local $InstPrtPort = " /c cscript c:\Windows\System32\prnport.vbs -a -r IP_"&$IPAddress&" -h "&$IPAddress&" -o raw -n 9100 -2e"
RunWait(@ComSpec & $InstPrtPort) ;Creatation command for new port

;Installing Print Drivers
Local $InstPrtDrv = " /c c:\windows\system32\rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "&$PrinterName&" /f "&$DriveDir&" /r "&$PortName&" /m "&$PrtDriver&""
RunWait(@ComSpec & $InstPrtDrv)

Thanks for the help.

GK

I would use ShellExecuteWait, because this one supports switches/parameters.

Spoiler

Renamer - Rename files and folders, remove portions of text from the filename etc.

GPO Tool - Export/Import Group policy settings.

MirrorDir - Synchronize/Backup/Mirror Folders

BeatsPlayer - Music player.

Params Tool - Right click an exe to see it's parameters or execute them.

String Trigger - Triggers pasting text or applications or internet links on specific strings.

Inconspicuous - Hide files in plain sight, not fully encrypted.

Regedit Control - Registry browsing history, quickly jump into any saved key.

Time4Shutdown - Write the time for shutdown in minutes.

Power Profiles Tool - Set a profile as active, delete, duplicate, export and import.

Finished Task Shutdown - Shuts down pc when specified window/Wndl/process closes.

NetworkSpeedShutdown - Shuts down pc if download speed goes under "X" Kb/s.

IUIAutomation - Topic with framework and examples

Au3Record.exe

Nope it didn't work there is no spaces in the path. The actual @WorkingDir is: D:Create_PrinterHPCP2025

If your @WorkingDir is D:Create_PrinterHPCP2025 then your $DriveDir variable will contain D:Create_PrinterHPCP2025HPCP2025Driversautorun.inf, is that what you're looking for? Or do you want to use @ScriptDir instead?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Yes, the correct path to the drivers and .inf file is:

D:Create_PrinterHPCP2025Driversautorun.inf

I am using the variable for the @WorkingDir and then I will be able to point to different driver folders for different printers in this case it is a HP-Color Printer 2025 that I am trying to load.

Between the @WorkingDir and the $DriveDir they build the variable path to the different .inf files.

I have tried with MsgBox to diplay the path without running the script and it looks correct.

Thanks,

GK

Edited by gkalus

BTW, autorun.inf isn't usually a driver inf file, it's usually the file used when the drivers are on a CD. Also, make sure that you're pointing to the folder that holds the OEMxxxx.inf file, where the actual driver files are.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

This is a copy of the CD and the is not OEMxxxxx.inf file anywhere. When I add the printer manually it work off this directory and files it works great. there are three .inf files:

autorun.inf

hppaew10.inf

hppcp610.inf

I have tried the script with each of these files and the script still fails.

Still looking for the correction that will get the script running.

Thanks,

GK

Okay, I think I have it. The code below works BUT when it is compiled it freezes windows. Keep in mind that I setup printers on our network based on the IP address. The goal is to have an executable for each model of printer we have. I am using variable to change the Printer Port, Printer Name, Print Driver, and location of the Printer drivers.

I would appreciate any help with this to figure out when this script is complied it Freezes Windows.

Local $IPAddress = "172.20."

Local $IPAddress = InputBox("Create a Standard TCP/IP Printer Port", "Enter IP Address for Standard TCP/IP Printer Port (CR+LF) test", "172.20.", "", 0)

;Creating the third octet
Select
Case StringMid($IPAddress, 9, 1) = "."
Local $octet3 = "00" & StringMid($IPAddress, 8, 1)
Case StringMid($IPAddress, 10, 1) = "."
Local $octet3 = "0" & StringMid($IPAddress, 8, 2)
Case StringMid($IPAddress, 8, 3) > 99 And StringMid($IPAddress, 8, 3) < 255
Local $octet3 = StringMid($IPAddress, 8, 3)
EndSelect

;Creating the fourth octet
Select
Case StringIsDigit(StringRight($IPAddress, 3)) = 1
Local $octet4 = StringRight($IPAddress, 3)
Case StringRight($IPAddress, 2) > 9 And StringRight($IPAddress, 2) < 100
Local $octet4 = "0" & StringRight($IPAddress, 2)
Case Else
Local $octet4 = "00" & StringRight($IPAddress, 1)
EndSelect

Local $IPName = $octet3 & $octet4
Local $PortName = '"'& "IP_" & $IPAddress & '"'

; ************************ Configuring names (Check these names) ************************

Local $PrinterName = '"'& "HHSPR" &$IPName&'"' ; Check Name "PR" or "RH"
Local $PrtDriver = '"HP Color LaserJet CP2020 Series PCL 6"' ;Name of Print Driver goes here
Local $DriveDir = '"' & @WorkingDir & 'HPCP2025Drivershppcp610.inf"' ; Check and change directory and .INF file - Lead with a ""

; ************************ End of priter name changes ************************

;Adding Printing Port
Local $InstPrtPort = " /c cscript C:\Windows\System32\prnport.vbs -a -r IP_"&$IPAddress&" -h "&$IPAddress&" -o raw -n 9100 -2e"
RunWait(@ComSpec & $InstPrtPort) ;Creatation command for new port

;Installing Print Drivers
Local $InstPrtDrv = ' /c rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ia /m '&$PrtDriver&' /h "Intel" /v "Windows 2000 or XP" /f '&$DriveDir&''
RunWait(@ComSpec & $InstPrtDrv)

;Add Printer
Local $InstPrinter = " /C cscript C:\Windows\System32\prnmngr.vbs -a -p "&$PrinterName&" -m "&$PrtDriver&" -r "&$PortName&""
RunWait(@ComSpec & $InstPrinter)

; Message after printer has been added
MsgBox(4096, "New Printer", "Printer: " &$PrinterName& " has been added.")

Thanks,

GK

• 1 month later...