Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
THERUNZ

Unable to update Terminal Services in 2008 R2

16 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have been working with the AD.au3 plugin and have no problems setting any schema attribute using _AD_ModifyAttribute.

But it seems that with the realease of 2008 R2 the schema objects for Terminal Services have changed. While looking through ADSIEdit I found the attributes msTSProfilePath, msTSHomeDirectory, and msTSHomeDrive. I updated these values but when looking in Active Directory users and computers in the Remote Desktop Services Profile tab of the user I am working with nothing has been updated, and it is not working.

With much research I have found that the Terminal Services information is stored in the userParameters schema attribute as a BLOB. (http://daduke.org/linux/userparameters.html)

The site listed above provides a format to convert the values into a usable form to be placed into the userParameters field, but going about it this way seems to be more work than its worth.

I have found code that has been written to pull these values using the IADsTSUserEx Interface so that they can be easily updated but I am unfamiliar with how the below VB translates over to Autoit. Could someone please help me out?

Imports System.DirectoryServices

Imports TSUSEREXLib

Dim rootLDAPpath As String = "LDAP://OU=...,DC=com"

Dim root As DirectoryEntry = New DirectoryEntry(rootLDAPpath)

Dim searcher As New DirectorySearcher(root)

Dim adUser As SearchResult

searcher.Filter() = "(&(objectCategory=user)(samAccountName=*******))"

adUser = searcher.FindOne

Dim myUser = New DirectoryEntry(adUser.Path)

' Get the properties

Dim tsUser = CType(myUser.NativeObject, IADsTSUserEx)

MsgBox(tsUser.TerminalServicesProfilePath)

MsgBox(tsUser.TerminalServicesHomeDrive)

MsgBox(tsUser.TerminalServicesHomeDirectory)

' Set the properties

tsUser.TerminalServicesHomeDirectory = ...

myUser.CommitChanges()

Site reference (http://webactivedirectory.wordpress.com/2011/10/05/active-directory-attributes-for-remote-desktop-services/)

I will have a look as soon as I return from vacation (next week)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
PowerPoint (2015-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Thank you water! Your help is much appreciated. Have a good vacation :bye:

We were talking about Terminal Services and AD Maybe this helps?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Thanks so much for your help water! Got everything up and going.

:D

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Thank you water! Your help is much appreciated. Have a good vacation :bye:

Could you please post that autoit script here ?

The subject has been discussed Looks like you need Windows Server 2008.

Can you run _AD_ListRootDSEAttributes.au3 to check the mode of your domain/forest.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Hi Water,

thx for the very fast answer.

I used the script _AD_ListRootDSEAttributes.au3 and it connects to a 2003R2 bridgehead server. I know that we have also 2008R2 AD Servers so i have to connect to one of these somehow ?

Give it a try. You can specify the DC you want to connect to in the _AD_Open function call.

But I'm not sure if the server needs to be Windows 2008 or the domain/forest needs to be operated in 2008 mode.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

i am unsure about the correct syntax of this function and tried:

_AD_Open("dc=Test,dc=intra,dc=corp","TESTDC0003")

...getting com errors

I also tried a few other ways of syntax

Please have a look at the wiki.

Search or "If you want to connect to a specific Domain Controller in the domain then simply specify the HostServer."

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

i searched the wiki. Thanks for that hint :thumbsup:

and now used _AD_Open("","","","TESTDC0003.test.intra.corp") which works fine.

The com error occurs when trying to get the attribute from my user:

$oResult = _AD_GetObjectAttribute("MyUser", "msTSProfilePath")

So it looks like the domain/forest needs to be operated in 2008 mode like you mentioned before ?

The only thing i am wondering about is that this little vbscript i use is working fine - it outputs the correct path:

Dim sTSHomePath

Set oUser = GetObject("LDAP://cn=MYUser,ou=USERS,ou=Company,ou=DE,dc=test,dc=intra,dc=corp")

sTSHomePath = LCase(oUser.TerminalServicesHomeDirectory)

msgbox sTSHomePath

Converted to autoit it throws an error (The requested action with this object has failed):

Dim $sTSHomePath

$oUser = ObjGet("LDAP://cn=MYUser,ou=USERS,ou=Company,ou=DE,dc=test,dc=intra,dc=corp")

$sTSHomePath = StringLower($oUser.TerminalServicesHomeDirectory)

msgbox(4096,"Output", $sTSHomePath)

The VBScript works because you query a different attribute. This attribute is not stored as blob but as a simple string.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Oh sorry, i pasted the wrong one - but this one works also (and converted to autoit it doesn't):

Dim sTSProfilePath

Set oUser = GetObject("LDAP://cn=MYUser,ou=USERS,ou=Company,ou=DE,dc=test,dc=intra,dc=corp")

sTSProfilePath = LCase(oUser.TerminalServicesProfilePath)

msgbox sTSProfilePath

Any ideas ?

Here is a description what happens under the covers.

I have never used the Termin Server properties myself.

Looks like a different interface needs to be used to access those properties.

Maybe the user who solved the problem answers in the next few days?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki