error in Win7 but not XP

I have a script that runs under Windows XP but not under Windows 7.  Both are work computers.

The error I get when running my script under Windows 7 is:

Line 8327

(path to my script aplet here)

ERROR: subscript used with non-array variable

can anyone tell me what this means so I can make things work under the Windows 7 OS. My script only goes up to line 1153. IF you need to see all my code I can post that.

thanks.

• Moderators

sbrady,

I imagine the error is being caused by a function which you think is returning an array - but which under Win7 is failing. Always a good idea to check if the return is an array if you intend to access the elements. ;)

As to the line number - it is inflated by the #include files. When compiling your script from within the full SciTE4AutoIt3 package, run Obfuscator using the /STRIPONLY parameter. That way the compiler uses an au3 file which has the include files included, but all unused functions, variables, comments and blank lines removed. It is saved in the same folder as the source and named YourScriptName_Obfuscated.au3. You need to add these directives to the top of your script:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_Obfuscator=y
#Obfuscator_Parameters=/so
Then when the error occurs, it is easy to see which line gave the fault as it is this Obfuscated file which has been compiled - just scroll to the indicated location. The only problem we know of is that using the line continuation operator screws up the count, but apart from that it works fine. :)

As mentioned, you need the full SciTE4AutoIt3 package, which you can download from here if you do not already use it. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

M23, I cant thank you enough for your reply. I am in over my head. I dont know if you remember me, I am the audio post engineer. I posted a lot last fall. I stopped AutoIT last Christmas. Now my work in slowly getting these PC's in our workplace, replacing our Macs. I am trying to get my code to work, the problem is, it works on my XP computer, but the audio guys are now using PC's with Windows7. Many scripts dont work. I have forgotten most of what I learned 7 months ago and am really back to square one, not where I need to be to get my problems solved.

I downloaded Obfuscator, I put in your code......nothing. This stuff is hard for me. So, thanks so much for your help, I'll keep trying. I have to ask 20 questions to every problem I have to get over the wall, and man is that wall very high right now.

thanks again,

shawn

Do you have SciTE4AutoIt3? Because you don't need to download anything at all

Were you the guy who knew AppleScript?

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

• Moderators

sbrady,

I remember you well ("it was all so easy in AppleScript"), but I still answered. ;)

Firstly, have you doenloaded and installed SciTE4AutoIt3? Obfuscator is a tool that comes with the full editor suite, so downloading it on its own is not going to help a great deal. If not, please do so. :)

If you have it installed, open your script and add those lines I posted to the top of the script. Then press F7 - you will see a lot of entries in the lower SciTE pane as the additional tools run during the compile process. It may well be that you get errors signalled - you get an automatic syntax check during the process - but if all goes well you end up with an executable and an obfuscated file in the same folder as the script. The obfuscated file, as I explained above is your script and all the #includes reduced to the minimum lines required - all unused variables and functions from the #include files will have been removed. ;)

Now if you get the error again, the line number indicated should be the line number in this obfuscated file - so you can look in that file and see which line caused the problem. Find the same line in your original script and correct it - and Robert is your mother's brother. :D

As I said, I imagine it is a function failing under Win7 for some reason and not returning an array when you think it should. The solution will be to correct the function syntax so that you do get an array - but I would suggest adding errorchecking in such cases as a matter of course. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

I just looked at their previous content and seems I was correct. Wow, good memory guinness!

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

M23,

I deleted my old version from 8 months ago.

I downloaded and installed from your link.

I put your code at thee very top of my script.

I ran F7.

I got this error.

UNABLE TO DETERMINE THE LOCATION OF THE AUTOIT3 PROGRAM DIRECTORY!

any ideas?

• Moderators

sbrady,

Did you uninstall Autoit as well?  You need the full Autoit install first and then the full SciTE4AutoIt3 install. :)

M23

Spoiler

sorry to interrupt old-timers fellowship :gathering:

would it not be much shorter to install AutoIt (both full packages, AutoIt & SciTe) on one of the impacted Win7 machines, and troubleshoot before compile? the setup time is under 1 minute, and then you won't have to hunt for the impaired function, SciTe will just show it to you.

(i assume the permission to install, as you obviously have the permission to do what you describe.)

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

the Win7 computer only runs scripts and aplets. I hate to ask this question but are AutoIT and Sci 2 different things?  I deleted the AutoIT folder, downloaded the v3 package and installed that. Maybe the Sci thing didnt get deleted.

go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs (or whatever it's called these days...), you'll find two different entries, one for AutoIt and one for SciTe. recommendation: always install them together, first AutoIt then SciTe. your life will be much easier.

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

orbs is referring to SciTE4AutoIt3.

UDF List: