Software Testing

Go to solution Solved by water,

Hi, I am new to AutoIt and I am in need of some answers! I am trying to test an external software, and within the softeware I need to click certain tabs and buttons for the test. I know you can write a script to click the button based on the position of the button on the screen, but this wouldn't work if I wanted to test the same software on a different monitor with a different size. I was wondering if I could write a comman (or If there is any possible way within AutoIt) to click the button based on more of knowing exactly "what" I'm clicking rather than using the position of (x,y) variables of the button to mouse click it. Sorry If that's very confusing! I am in need of answers, so any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

• Solution

Welcome to AutoIt and the forum!

What you are looking for is function ControlClick. Using the AutoIt Window Info tool you can get the ID, class etc. of the button you want to click.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Awesome that helps Thank you! I have been messing around with it, but I am having trouble clicking drop down menus. For example lets say I wanted to ControlClick the File Menu annd then clikc New in Notepad. Is there a way to accomplish this?

Edited by Tapes

Try the ControlSend function. Send something like this: !fn. And remember, the help file can be your best friend! There are also working examples for just about every native AutoIT function in there.

Edited by somdcomputerguy

- Bruce /*somdcomputerguy */  If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

How about function WinMenuSelectItem?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki