Beginners Excel question

Chimaera

Ive always used excel over the years but more played with it than used it properly

A friend has asked me to automate an excel sheet

It has about 17.000 products from different companes that he needs to check the status of a given company

So its a large one for what im normally used to

What he wants to do is send an update to suppliers then copy the update back in to the main sheet and then sort the updated products for each company on separate tabs.

So from browsing im looking at

ExcelBookOpen

ExcelReadSheetToArray << read the whole updated sheet

How do i search for the specifics i need to create the new tab do i just access the array or are there special excel things i need to do?

ExcelWriteSheetFromArray << write the single company results to a tab

ExcelBookSave

ExcelBookClose

The Excel UDF that comes with AutoIt is very, very slow on larger sheets (> a few hundred cells).

If you have a lot of time you could start with my rewrite of the Excel UDF. It is much faster. But still in Beta.

I would be happy to test the new UDF in a bigger project and will assist to solve all uprising problems.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• 4 weeks later...

this sounds very similar to one of the problems i'm being asked to solve.

we've ALWAYS loaded an Excel sheet to an array, then search that array... but now, they want me to search a spreadsheet with more than 14k rows, and at least 20 collumns...

I know it would be 100 times easier through using an Access database, but at present, that data isn't available to me in .mdb form.

is there a way to either, convert a spreadsheet to an access database through scripting (i can do it manually, but that doesn't meet the project scope)

or to search the spreadsheet without loading the whole thing into memory?

right now, i'm stuck trying to figure out what approach is going to be best or easiest.

Thanks!