Skysnake

[SOLVED] GUI with command line options

Hi Everyone

I want to have a GUI, but which will accept command line options on launch.

So, the commanline would look something like

myAPP.EXE -bigfont -bigicon

where myAPP.EXE would be the name of the AutoIt EXE, and the -bigfont & -bigicon items represent optional command line parameters with which the EXE starts.

I am not looking at creating a CUI.  This is GUI, but with startup command line parameters.  These command line parameters would only be read once, during start up of the EXE.

I have searched the forum, no luck.  What I did find was this commented by Water: https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/138754-adding-command-line-parameter/

Should I start the GUI EXE as normal, and then first possible opportunity read the command line? Is that the way to go?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Skysnake

Skysnake

Why is the snake in the sky?

This is by no means a finished script, as you didn't specify what you were trying to do in your gui (I took an educated guess with font and icon). But this should give you an idea:

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Local $font, $icon

Switch $CmdLine[0]
        Case 1
            $font = $CmdLine[1]
        Case 2
            $font = $CmdLine[1]
            $icon = $CmdLine[2]
        Case Else
            Exit(MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, "My App", "Incorrect Number of Parameters"))
    EndSwitch

$hGUI = GUICreate("Test", 300, 300)
        GUISetFont(11, 400, Default, ($font = Null) ? "Arial" : $font)
 ;Set font to Arial unless otherwise specified.
        GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

$inp = GUICtrlCreateInput("Test Font", 10, 20, 280, 40)
    $icon = GUICtrlCreatePic(($icon = "") ? @DesktopDir & "\Error.jpg" : $icon, 10, 80, 280, 200) ;Set pic path unless otherwise specified.

While 1
        Switch GUIGetMsg()
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                Exit
        EndSwitch
    WEnd

I replied and my reply seems to have gone to limbo...

@spudw2k, thx, I have read that page, but it left me with gaps in my understanding

@JLogan3o13 THANK YOU VERY MUCH!  This is exactly what I was looking for. I can work with this. Thank you for the accurate and prompt response. :)

Skysnake

Why is the snake in the sky?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Burgs
      Greetings,
        I would like to be able to write a script to send commands to the console for creation of Gstreamer pipelines.  I was thinking of something similar to this:
      Local $iPID = Run("C:\Windows\System32\cmd", "", @SW_MAXIMIZE) ;THIS OPENS THE CONSOLE...!!! if $iPID == 0 Then ConsoleWrite(@CRLF & "I DID NOT OPEN CMD...error: " & @error & @CRLF) if $iPID <> 0 Then ConsoleWrite(@CRLF & "I OPENED CMD...!!!" & @CRLF) $hCmd = WinGetHandle("C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe") if $hCmd <> 0 Then WinActivate($hCmd) ;ensure command console is active... $sOutput = Send("cd C:\gstreamer\1.0\x86_64\bin" & @CRLF, $SEND_RAW) $sOutput = Send("gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc ! autovideosink" & @CRLF, $SEND_RAW) Sleep(3000) ControlSend($hCmd, "", "", "exit" & @CR) EndIf ;$hCmd NOT "0"... I don't really know if this is the best way to open the console and send commands into it.  I'm also not sure about how to best catch any errors that may occur...likely this needs to be accomplished with the STDOUTREAD command however I've not had experience using it before and therefore would appreciate some advice that anybody may offer. 
      Basically I'm seeking guidance on how to best automate the opening of the console, sending lines of commands to be executed, and handling any potential errors in the execution of those commands...I thank you in advance.  Regards.
    • By pctechtv
      I use a program called Screenpresso. It can run a command that captures the screen from certain coordinates. I would like to be able to capture the mouse coordinates and then fill them in my command. The normal command looks like this.
      screenpresso.exe -captureregion "D:\Test\test2.jpg" 0;0;1280;720 It is at 0;0 where I would like to insert the mouse coordinates. Can someone show me how to do this with AutoIt Thanks
    • By jpomalley
      Hi all,
      Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the Windows "fade effect" that occurs when a window appears or disappears?
      It is possible for a user to disable visual effects in windows in general through the system properties > performance settings, but I am interested just in fixing it for a particular window that pops up in my app.
      I would like it to appear and disappear instantaneously, snapping in and out, out of nowhere, rather than the short (maybe 300 ms?) fade in/fade out effect that windows has.
      Thanks for any tips
      JP
    • By fastman
      I am struggling with activating the 2nd GUI.  References of https://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/Managing_Multiple_GUIs did not help.
      Gui2 and controls are created, but the buttons are not active.  I have tried to remove extra code.
      Thanks for any help.
      ; ; cabinet maker process to automate MasterCam ; ATP nesting process ; #include <AutoItConstants.au3> #include <Array.au3> ;#include <file.au3> ;#include <FileConstants.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> #include <WinAPI.au3> #include <WinAPIFiles.au3> #include <WindowsConstants.au3> ;#include <XML.au3>; If XML library is updated, note that this script requires that save file will overwrite an existing file Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1) ; 1 = OnEvent mode Opt("WinWaitDelay", 500) ; milliseconds Opt("TrayIconDebug", 1) Opt("WinSearchChildren", 1) Global $hMainGUI Global $hMainGUI2 Func GetAllWindowsControls($hCallersWindow, $bOnlyVisible = Default, $sStringIncludes = Default, $sClass = Default) If Not IsHWnd($hCallersWindow) Then ConsoleWrite("$hCallersWindow must be a handle...provided=[" & $hCallersWindow & "]" & @CRLF) Return False EndIf ; Get all list of controls If $bOnlyVisible = Default Then $bOnlyVisible = True If $sStringIncludes = Default Then $sStringIncludes = "" If $sClass = Default Then $sClass = "" $sClassList = WinGetClassList($hCallersWindow) ; Create array $aClassList = StringSplit($sClassList, @CRLF, 2) ; Sort array _ArraySort($aClassList) _ArrayDelete($aClassList, 0) ; Loop $iCurrentClass = "" $iCurrentCount = 1 $iTotalCounter = 1 If StringLen($sClass) > 0 Then For $i = UBound($aClassList) - 1 To 0 Step -1 If $aClassList[$i] <> $sClass Then _ArrayDelete($aClassList, $i) EndIf Next EndIf For $i = 0 To UBound($aClassList) - 1 If $aClassList[$i] = $iCurrentClass Then $iCurrentCount += 1 Else $iCurrentClass = $aClassList[$i] $iCurrentCount = 1 EndIf $hControl = ControlGetHandle($hCallersWindow, "", "[CLASSNN:" & $iCurrentClass & $iCurrentCount & "]") $text = StringRegExpReplace(ControlGetText($hCallersWindow, "", $hControl), "[\n\r]", "{@CRLF}") $aPos = ControlGetPos($hCallersWindow, "", $hControl) $sControlID = _WinAPI_GetDlgCtrlID($hControl) $bIsVisible = ControlCommand($hCallersWindow, "", $hControl, "IsVisible") If $bOnlyVisible And Not $bIsVisible Then $iTotalCounter += 1 ContinueLoop EndIf If StringLen($sStringIncludes) > 0 Then If Not StringInStr($text, $sStringIncludes) Then $iTotalCounter += 1 ContinueLoop EndIf EndIf If IsArray($aPos) Then ;ConsoleWrite("ControlID=[" & StringFormat("%5s", $sControlID) & "] Handle=[" & StringFormat("%10s", $hControl) & "] ClassNN=[" & StringFormat("%19s", $iCurrentClass & $iCurrentCount) & "] XPos=[" & StringFormat("%4s", $aPos[0]) & "] YPos=[" & StringFormat("%4s", $aPos[1]) & "] Width=[" & StringFormat("%4s", $aPos[2]) & "] Height=[" & StringFormat("%4s", $aPos[3]) & "] IsVisible=[" & $bIsVisible & "] Text=[" & $text & "]." & @CRLF) ConsoleWrite("Func=[GetAllWindowsControls]: ControlCounter=[" & StringFormat("%3s", $iTotalCounter) & "] ControlID=[" & StringFormat("%5s", $sControlID) & "] Handle=[" & StringFormat("%10s", $hControl) & "] ClassNN=[" & StringFormat("%19s", $iCurrentClass & $iCurrentCount) & "] XPos=[" & StringFormat("%4s", $aPos[0]) & "] YPos=[" & StringFormat("%4s", $aPos[1]) & "] Width=[" & StringFormat("%4s", $aPos[2]) & "] Height=[" & StringFormat("%4s", $aPos[3]) & "] IsVisible=[" & $bIsVisible & "] Text=[" & $text & "]." & @CRLF) Else ;ConsoleWrite("ControlID=[" & StringFormat("%5s", $sControlID) & "] Handle=[" & StringFormat("%10s", $hControl) & "] ClassNN=[" & StringFormat("%19s", $iCurrentClass & $iCurrentCount) & "] XPos=[winclosed] YPos=[winclosed] Width=[winclosed] Height=[winclosed] Text=[" & $text & "]." & @CRLF) ConsoleWrite("Func=[GetAllWindowsControls]: ControlCounter=[" & StringFormat("%3s", $iTotalCounter) & "] ControlID=[" & StringFormat("%5s", $sControlID) & "] Handle=[" & StringFormat("%10s", $hControl) & "] ClassNN=[" & StringFormat("%19s", $iCurrentClass & $iCurrentCount) & "] XPos=[winclosed] YPos=[winclosed] Width=[winclosed] Height=[winclosed] Text=[" & $text & "]." & @CRLF) EndIf If Not WinExists($hCallersWindow) Then ExitLoop $iTotalCounter += 1 Next ;MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "title", "check console for control list") EndFunc ;==>GetAllWindowsControls ; ======= Func GetAllWindowsControls($hCallersWindow, $bOnlyVisible = Default, $sStringIncludes = Default, $sClass = Default) ========= Func setNestingOverlay() $ovrWidth = 400 $ovrHeight = 60 $ovrLeft = -1 ;$mcamWindow[0] + $nestControlRelative[0] $ovrTop = -1;$mcamWindow[1] + $nestControlRelative[1]+ 10 $hMainGUI = GUICreate("covering mastercam buttons", $ovrWidth, $ovrHeight, $ovrLeft, $ovrTop, -1, $WS_EX_TOPMOST) GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "CloseButton2") Local $iOKButton1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Continue to gui2", 20, 20, 80) GUICtrlSetOnEvent($iOKButton1, "NestResultButtonOverlay") GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hMainGUI) GetAllWindowsControls(WinGetHandle("[ACTIVE]")) ;loop to monitor button click While 1 Sleep(50) ; Sleep to reduce CPU usage WEnd ConsoleWrite(" exit loop setNestingOverlay") EndFunc ;==>setNestingOverlay ;=== 2nd gui ======= 2nd gui ======= 2nd gui ======= 2nd gui ======= 2nd gui ======= 2nd gui ==== func NestResultButtonOverlay() $ovrWidth = -1;$mcamWindow[2] - 10 $ovrHeight = 70 ;40 $ovrLeft = -1 ;$mcamWindow[0] + 5 ;+ $nestControlRelative[0] $ovrTop = -1 ;$mcamWindow[1] + $nestControlRelative[1]+ 10 $hMainGUI2 = GUICreate("gui2-- covering nest result buttons", $ovrWidth, $ovrHeight, $ovrLeft, $ovrTop, -1, $WS_EX_TOPMOST) ;width, height, left, top ;GUISetState(@SW_DISABLE + @SW_MINIMIZE, $hMainGUI) ;GUISwitch($hMainGUI2) GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "CloseButton2") local $iBackNestingButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Back to Nesting", 20, 10, 120) GUICtrlSetOnEvent($iBackNestingButton, "backtoNesting") Local $iOKButton2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Continue for g-Code", 160, 10, 120) GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "generateGCode") ;GUICtrlSetOnEvent($iOKButton2, "generateGCode") Local $iDoneButton2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Oops go back to vortex", 300, 10, 120) GUICtrlSetOnEvent($iDoneButton2, "CloseButton2") GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hMainGUI2) GUISetState(@SW_DISABLE + @SW_MINIMIZE, $hMainGUI) GUISwitch($hMainGUI2) GetAllWindowsControls(WinGetHandle("[ACTIVE]")) While 1 Sleep(50) ; Sleep to reduce CPU usage WEnd ConsoleWrite(" exit loop NestResultButtonOverlay") EndFunc ;==>setNestingOverlay func backtoNesting() msgbox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "gui2","backtoNesting") EndFunc Func CloseButton2() msgbox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "gui2","CloseButton2") Exit EndFunc func generateGCode() msgbox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "gui2","generateGCode") EndFunc ; =========== main =========== main =========== main =========== main =========== main =========== main setNestingOverlay()  
    • By Blueman
      Hey Guys,
      Maybe you can help me with something small.
      It is not terrible but it slows down my script and after a while even crash the script.

First i explain what i have;
      I have a GUI with a lot of GUICtrlCreateInput controls, lets say 600 pieces.
      All the controls are hidden when the GUI is displayed, i have 3 buttons attached to 200 pieces each.
      When i press button-1 the first 200 controls are showed,
      When i press button-2 the first 200 controls are hidden and the next 200 controls are showed,
      etc, etc.
      This is working perfectly but after a while the GUI is getting slower and slower.
      After a while the controls aren't responding anymore and the script crashes.
      When i compile the script to 64-Bits version the speed is a lot better but you can still see the script slowing down each time i use the buttons.
      I think there has to be a buffer somewhere that is filling each time i show and hide the controls, but how can i clear that buffer without restarting the script?
      Deleting and re-creating the controls didn't help, deleting the entire gui (and controls) and re-creating it didn't help also.
      The only thing that is working is restarting the script.

Thanks guys!

PS: If you need a working example i can add it to this topic, just let me know. It is not rocket science, i just create the controls and show/hide them with a while loop and 3 buttons.