legend

Easiest way for users to find their machine name

19 posts in this topic

I'm working in a it department. We use teamviewer to control our users machines when they call us.

For that, we need the users machinename, the machinename is printed on their desktop background. The problem is, if they have many programs open,

they don't know how to get to the desktop..... :yawn:

 

Any suggestions on how to make this easier for the users?

I though of adding some text in the taskbar, like this:

hpbcX4p.png

 

And is it even possible to add text to the taskbar?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



#3 ·  Posted (edited)

I personally use Desktop Info: http://www.glenn.delahoy.com/software/

It's still on the desktop but I have it on the top right side, most users know how to minimize applications or click the desktop button.

Main reason I use it is what info it can display, I have Machine Name, Logged in User, Last reboot time, IP Address, and Serial Number (On laptops also Battery %)

It lets user get me an IP not just a machine name as often they are just connected via VPN or some other device and have not updated in the DNS server.

Once I do connect, I can see all the info I need for warranty lookup, ask the user if they rebooted already and clearly see if they are telling the truth, etc.

 

If the desktop is an issue, maybe instead of trying to bring your information to a new place, create an easier way for them to get to the desktop.

Windows can use Win+D hotkey to give focus to desktop, press again to bring it back.

If you want to use Autoit stuff try WinMinimizeAll() WinMinimizeAllUndo() put that into a script with a tiny always on top GUI button that flips between the two.

 

Another would be an always on top disappear on mouse over GUI, this was ripped from somebody else's example code I just changed it from saying "Hover Me" to show the computer name.

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <WinAPIGdi.au3>

Global $hGUI = GUICreate("Ghost", 100, 50, @DesktopWidth - 100, 0, $WS_POPUP, $WS_EX_TOPMOST)
GUISetBkColor(0x808080)
Global $iLbl = GUICtrlCreateLabel(@ComputerName, 10, 10)
GUICtrlSetColor(-1, 0xFFFFFF)
GUISetState()

AdlibRegister("HoverChk", 50)
Do
Until GUIGetMsg() = -3
AdlibUnRegister("HoverChk")
GUIDelete()


Func HoverChk()
    Local $iFadeIn = 8, $iFadeOut = 64
    Local Static $iTransparency = 255
    Local $aPos = WinGetPos($hGUI)
    If _WinAPI_PtInRectEx(MouseGetPos(0), MouseGetPos(1), $aPos[0], $aPos[1], $aPos[2] + $aPos[0] + 1, $aPos[3] + $aPos[1] + 1) Then
        If $iTransparency >= 0 Then
            $iTransparency -= $iFadeOut
            $iTransparency = $iTransparency < 0 ? 0 : $iTransparency
            WinSetTrans($hGUI, "", $iTransparency)
        EndIf
    Else
        If $iTransparency <= 255 Then
            $iTransparency += $iFadeIn
            $iTransparency = $iTransparency > 255 ? 255 : $iTransparency
            WinSetTrans($hGUI, "", $iTransparency)
        EndIf
    EndIf
EndFunc

 

Edited by ViciousXUSMC
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#4 ·  Posted (edited)

57 minutes ago, ViciousXUSMC said:

I personally use Desktop Info: http://www.glenn.delahoy.com/software/

It's still on the desktop but I have it on the top right side, most users know how to minimize applications or click the desktop button.

Main reason I use it is what info it can display, I have Machine Name, Logged in User, Last reboot time, IP Address, and Serial Number (On laptops also Battery %)

It lets user get me an IP not just a machine name as often they are just connected via VPN or some other device and have not updated in the DNS server.

Once I do connect, I can see all the info I need for warranty lookup, ask the user if they rebooted already and clearly see if they are telling the truth, etc.

 

If the desktop is an issue, maybe instead of trying to bring your information to a new place, create an easier way for them to get to the desktop.

Windows can use Win+D hotkey to give focus to desktop, press again to bring it back.

If you want to use Autoit stuff try WinMinimizeAll() WinMinimizeAllUndo() put that into a script with a tiny always on top GUI button that flips between the two.

 

Another would be an always on top disappear on mouse over GUI, this was ripped from somebody else's example code I just changed it from saying "Hover Me" to show the computer name.

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <WinAPIGdi.au3>

Global $hGUI = GUICreate("Ghost", 100, 50, @DesktopWidth - 100, 0, $WS_POPUP, $WS_EX_TOPMOST)
GUISetBkColor(0x808080)
Global $iLbl = GUICtrlCreateLabel(@ComputerName, 10, 10)
GUICtrlSetColor(-1, 0xFFFFFF)
GUISetState()

AdlibRegister("HoverChk", 50)
Do
Until GUIGetMsg() = -3
AdlibUnRegister("HoverChk")
GUIDelete()


Func HoverChk()
    Local $iFadeIn = 8, $iFadeOut = 64
    Local Static $iTransparency = 255
    Local $aPos = WinGetPos($hGUI)
    If _WinAPI_PtInRectEx(MouseGetPos(0), MouseGetPos(1), $aPos[0], $aPos[1], $aPos[2] + $aPos[0] + 1, $aPos[3] + $aPos[1] + 1) Then
        If $iTransparency >= 0 Then
            $iTransparency -= $iFadeOut
            $iTransparency = $iTransparency < 0 ? 0 : $iTransparency
            WinSetTrans($hGUI, "", $iTransparency)
        EndIf
    Else
        If $iTransparency <= 255 Then
            $iTransparency += $iFadeIn
            $iTransparency = $iTransparency > 255 ? 255 : $iTransparency
            WinSetTrans($hGUI, "", $iTransparency)
        EndIf
    EndIf
EndFunc

 

The script is a pretty nice solution, if it's possible to place the box in the taskbar it would be awesome :)

It should be poissible, as lenovo is able to do it, they have their battery mangement software running from the taskbar 

Edited by legend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you come up with a way to automate that let me know, Windows10 removed programmatic access to pin items to the taskbar and I wonder if you will run into that problem for this trick the same way (If your using Win10)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ViciousXUSMC said:

If you come up with a way to automate that let me know, Windows10 removed programmatic access to pin items to the taskbar and I wonder if you will run into that problem for this trick the same way (If your using Win10)

Yeah, that's what i'm trying to do at the moment, and it seems harder than what I though.. :P 

I tried using regshot to see what registry changes it made to the system after making a toolbar in the taskbar, will be hard to make programmaatic, if even possible:

 

zObngFn.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#8 ·  Posted (edited)

It was easy with the pin verb on xp/7/8 but doing it directly in the registry is... I wont say impossible but certainly daunting. 

Maybe instead of having the info on screen, just have it on demand?

Something like this as a startup script running in the background.  I am assuming your on the phone with them so your asking for the computer name, you could tell them "press Control+h and give me the computer name" and of course add any other script or info you want in addition.

#NoTrayIcon

HotKeySet("^h", "ComputerName")

While 1
    Sleep(10)
WEnd

Func ComputerName()
    MsgBox(0, "", "Please Give This Info to your IT Technician for Assistance." & @CRLF & "Computer Name " & @ComputerName)
EndFunc

Cool thing about this is your having them trigger a function, you could say have that function send a request for remote support, or send a text file via FTP to your computer with all the computer info so you can copy/paste it, or use SMTP or Outlook to email info to you.  Takes the human error element out and makes it faster.

 

Not working, you would need an open SMTPReplay or something but just concept.

;#NoTrayIcon

HotKeySet("^h", "ComputerName")

While 1
    Sleep(10)
WEnd

Func ComputerName()
    If MsgBox(4, "", "Would You Like to Request IT Support?") = 6 Then
    MsgBox(0, "", "Please Give This Info to your IT Technician for Assistance." & @CRLF & "Computer Name " & @ComputerName)
    ;_INetMail("ITSupport@YourCompany.Com", "IT Request from " & @UserName & " on " & @ComputerName, $sMailBody)
    EndIf
EndFunc

 

Edited by ViciousXUSMC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not just do a Group Policy to change the MyComputer icon to the name of the machine? Or, if you are using the Enterprise version of TV (which you should be for a company), you can import all the computer names into your client list, so you don't need them to tell you the machine name.


When you're dead, you don't know you're dead - it's only difficult for those that know you. It's the same way when you're stupid...

My Scripts: SCCM UDFInclude Source with Compiled Script, Windows Firewall UDF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#10 ·  Posted

Ideas, but if the point he is wanting to get the user access without viewing the desktop, the my computer icon wont be visible.

As far as a client list, I know in my environment even having the client list I still need that info as computers often change hands or have multiple users, so its not a 1:1 map of user to computer and often due to roaming they may even need to give me an IP address since the hostname may not have updated with the new VPN IP in the DNS servers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#11 ·  Posted

We ran into this issue at work too, and since all but a handful of our PCs are on the same network, we added the server variable REMOTE_HOST to the bottom of our Intranet page.  So when someone calls we just tell them to open the Intranet (it has been set as their default home page) and scroll to the bottom.  That has worked well for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#12 ·  Posted

print something out and duct tape it to the computer tower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#13 ·  Posted

2 minutes ago, pcjunki said:

print something out and duct tape it to the computer tower

Yep, a good old printed label does the trick.

7 minutes ago, MuffinMan said:

...we added the server variable REMOTE_HOST to the bottom of our Intranet page. 

I like it. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#14 ·  Posted

this is an example of what we have printed out and used adhesive to the side of the computer tower

that way when a user calls, they can give you more than just a computer name, they can give you what port they are plugged into,
then you can logon to the switch and see if there is an active link or what not

 

computer-name:PC345
ip:192.168.52.11
subnet:255.255.255.0
gateway:192.168.0.2
dns:192.168.0.10

Switch:192.168.52.1
Port:31

VLAN 500U, 200T

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#15 ·  Posted

Static IP?  OMG no lol

That would be impossible to maintain in our environment, I like the remote_host idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#16 ·  Posted

13 hours ago, legend said:

they don't know how to get to the desktop..... :yawn:

...for real? :blink:


Spoiler

My contributions to the AutoIt Community

Some messages & Apologizes:

If I hurt you, Please accept my apologies, I never (regardless of the situation) mean to hurt anybody!!!

Also, I am very busy with my project so I will appear in the last row of the online list, if you want to contact me: Email@TheDcoder.xyz

Or you can have a nice chat with me in freenode, I use the same nick on freenode too!

3fHNZJ.gif

PLEASE JOIN ##AutoIt AND HELP THE IRC AUTOIT COMMUNITY!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#17 ·  Posted

14 hours ago, TheDcoder said:

...for real? :blink:

The struggle is real.

Question is do you hold out and make them find water via starvation (aka learn what they should need to learn) or hold their hand and spoon feed just to make your life easier, but of course long term your feeding the problem as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#18 ·  Posted

Keyboard Windows+D = show/hide desktop. What can be easier that that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#19 ·  Posted

23 hours ago, ViciousXUSMC said:

Static IP?  OMG no lol

That would be impossible to maintain in our environment, I like the remote_host idea.

It isn't ideal, but not impossible. I just finished a contract with a customer, a large university, that runs almost 12000 of its 60,000+ PCs on static IPs. Again, not how I would architect things, but it can be maintained.


When you're dead, you don't know you're dead - it's only difficult for those that know you. It's the same way when you're stupid...

My Scripts: SCCM UDFInclude Source with Compiled Script, Windows Firewall UDF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now