Checkbox, from array, from text file...

12 posts in this topic

So, I have a text file like this...

"Label", {left}, {top}, {width}, {height}

What I'm attempting to do is read the data from this file, into an array, and use it to create checkboxes on a form like this...

For $cb = 0 to 4     ; line numbers
    $Checkbox[$cb] = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox({label}, {left}, {top}, {width}, {height})
Next

However, I can't figure out how to read the file into the array so as to be able to assign the data elements appropriately. I'm obviously missing something (or more than likely more than one something), but can't figure it out.

Can anyone assist with this?

Thanx.

Yes, that creates the array perfectly. Now, if I were to use the GUICtrlCreateCheckBox() within that piece of code, I think I would insert it right before the next, correct? Or, do I now need another looper to read the array and create the checkboxes? Thanx again!

Technically you don't need the array, you can just use:

#Include <Array.au3>
#include <File.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

Local $aFileRead, $aStringSplit
GUICreate('', 200, 110)
_FileReadToArray('Gui.txt', $aFileRead)
For $i = 1 To $aFileRead[0]
    $aStringSplit = StringSplit($aFileRead[$i], ',', 2)
    If UBound($aStringSplit) -1  = 4 Then
        GUICtrlCreateCheckbox($aStringSplit[0], Number($aStringSplit[1]), Number($aStringSplit[2]), Number($aStringSplit[3]), Number($aStringSplit[4]))
    EndIf
Next
GUISetState()
While 1
    Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            ExitLoop
    EndSwitch
WEnd

Gui.txt

"Label1", 5, 5, 190, 20
"Label2", 5, 25, 190, 20
"Label3", 5, 45, 190, 20
"Label4", 5, 65, 190, 20
"Label5", 5, 85, 190, 20

Excellent! Just what the Dr. ordered. Thank you so much!!!

Dang. With the checkboxes being created in this manner, how on earth would I be able to tell which ones are checked?

The goal is to have the user select one or more options, then the script would install their choices like this...

29j3hl.jpg

Would I have to create a label/tag for each checkbox during their creation, or something along those lines, so as to be able to target them afterward?

Thanx.

#7 ·  Posted (edited)

You could do it a few ways for example:

1. add another column with an Array Name for example: Adobe_Flash_Player, label, x, y, w, h, then you can use the Assign function.
2. Use the original array to assign the variable for example: $FileRead[$i] = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox($aStringSplit[0], Number($aStringSplit[1]), Number($aStringSplit[2]), Number($aStringSplit[3]), Number($aStringSplit[4]))

Either way you can then use these to capture there states when you click Install.

Edited by Subz

So, I can't seem to get the Assign function to work. Is it because I'm attempting to utilize one of the array elements? Thanx.

Not sure it works for me:

#Include <Array.au3>
#include <File.au3>

Local $aFileRead, $aStringSplit
GUICreate('', 205, 135)
_FileReadToArray('Gui.txt', $aFileRead)
Local $aFileItem[$aFileRead[0]]
For $i = 1 To $aFileRead[0]
    $aStringSplit = StringSplit($aFileRead[$i], ',', 2)
    If UBound($aStringSplit) -1  = 5 Then
        Assign($aStringSplit[0], GUICtrlCreateCheckbox($aStringSplit[1], Number($aStringSplit[2]), Number($aStringSplit[3]), Number($aStringSplit[4]), Number($aStringSplit[5])))
        $aFileItem[$i - 1] = $aStringSplit[0]
    EndIf
Next
$hCancel = GUICtrlCreateButton('Cancel', 5, 105, 95, 25)
$hInstall = GUICtrlCreateButton('Install', 105, 105, 95, 25)
GUISetState()
While 1
    Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, $hCancel
            ExitLoop
        Case $hInstall
            For $i = 0 To UBound($aFileItem) - 1
                If GUICtrlRead(Eval($aFileItem[$i])) = $GUI_CHECKED Then
                    ConsoleWrite('IsChecked : ' & $aFileItem[$i] & @CRLF)
                EndIf
            Next
    EndSwitch
WEnd

Ini File

Var1, Label 1, 5, 5, 190, 20
Var2, Label 2, 5, 25, 190, 20
Var3, Label 3, 5, 45, 190, 20
Var4, Label 4, 5, 65, 190, 20
Var5, Label 5, 5, 85, 190, 20

I was close to your suggestion here, but no cigar. I modified my code to reflect your code, but swapped a MsgBox for your ConsoleWrite and now I can see the "Var#" label in the MsgBox. However, if the "Var#" value contains a period, then nothing occurs when I click the Install button. Is there a reason a period can't be within the variable value? Thanx again.

This modified Subz's example automates the checkbox positions on the GUI, so that the positions are not required to be stored in the ini file.

Local $aFileRead = ["Label 1", "Label 2", "Label 3", "Label 4", "Label 5"]
; Or
;Local $aFileRead = FileReadToArray('Gui.txt')

Local $aID_CkBx[UBound($aFileRead)], $sResults

GUICreate('', 205, 135)

For $i = 0 To UBound($aID_CkBx) - 1
    $aID_CkBx[$i] = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox($aFileRead[$i], 5, (20 * $i) + 5, 190, 20) ; 1 column, many rows.
    ; Or
    ;$aID_CkBx[$i] = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox($aFileRead[$i], 5 + (Int($i / 3) * 95), ((20 * Mod($i, 3)) + 5), 95, 20) ; 3 rows, many columns.
Next

Local $hCancel = GUICtrlCreateButton('Cancel', 5, 105, 95, 25)
Local $hInstall = GUICtrlCreateButton('Install', 105, 105, 95, 25)

GUISetState()

While 1
    Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, $hCancel
            ExitLoop
        Case $hInstall
            For $i = 0 To UBound($aID_CkBx) - 1
                If GUICtrlRead($aID_CkBx[$i]) = $GUI_CHECKED Then
                    $sResults &= $aFileRead[$i] & ' is checked.' & @CRLF
                EndIf
            Next
            MsgBox(0, "Results", $sResults)
            $sResults = ""
    EndSwitch
WEnd

'Gui.txt' -  The ini file used, if needed.  (The labels could be store in an array in the script.)

Label 1
Label 2
Label 3
Label 4
Label 5

You don't have to use this method,  it's just an alternative that could come in handy one day.