WCD_IPC or IPC questions

Hello. I am interested in using WCD_IPC in my automation . But i dont understood how to use it correctly. Let me describe my situation:

I have one main script and child scripts that will be running from main script. I want child scripts to interact with main script i.e send variables values and receive variables values.So i need multidirectional data exchange between main script and child scripts but very important at the same time. So questions :

Is it achivable with WCD_IPC ? If yes so please give some example how to send and receive data at the same time in main script and in child scripts .

If it not achivable with WCD_IPC what IPC would you recommended to me to achieve multidirectional data exchange at the same time with simple usage UDF? 

I have found MailSlot but it is one directional.

Thanks.

It is possible with WCD_IPC.  In the UDF thread there is an example of how parent/child can interact between each other.

You can also look at the example I provided there :

With those 2 examples, try to create a script that describes more what you intend to do...

3 hours ago, Nine said:

It is possible with WCD_IPC.  In the UDF thread there is an example of how parent/child can interact between each other.

You can also look at the example I provided there :

With those 2 examples, try to create a script that describes more what you intend to do...

I have tested WCD_IPC with server and 2 client scripts. It is working ok. Below is code that i tested

Server script :

#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <Array.au3>
#include <WCD_IPC.au3>

Local $hServer = _WCD_CreateServer ()
Local $aReq

While 1
  If _WCD_Server_IsRequestAvail () Then
    $aReq = _WCD_Server_GetRequest ()
    _WCD_Send($hServer,$aReq[0],1,$aReq[1])
    ConsoleWrite($aReq[0]&$aReq[1])
    EndIf
WEnd

Client 1 script :

#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <Array.au3>
#include <WCD_IPC.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Local $hWnd = _WCD_CreateClient ("Test WCD Client 1")
Local $hWndServer = _WCD_GetServerHandle ()

_WCD_Send($hWnd, $hWndServer, 1, '[Client 1' & ', Message1]' & @CRLF)
Sleep(100)
MsgBox($MB_OK,"Client 1",_WCD_Client_GetResponse ())
_WCD_Send($hWnd, $hWndServer, 1, '[Client 1' & ', Message2]' & @CRLF)
Sleep(100)
_WCD_Send($hWnd, $hWndServer, 1, '[Client 1' & ', Message3]' & @CRLF)
Sleep(100)

Client 2 script :

#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <Array.au3>
#include <WCD_IPC.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Local $hWnd = _WCD_CreateClient ("Test WCD Client 2")
Local $hWndServer = _WCD_GetServerHandle ()

_WCD_Send($hWnd, $hWndServer, 1, '[Client 2' & ', Message1]' & @CRLF)
Sleep(100)
MsgBox($MB_OK,"Client 2",_WCD_Client_GetResponse ())
_WCD_Send($hWnd, $hWndServer, 1, '[Client 2' & ', Message2]' & @CRLF)
Sleep(100)
_WCD_Send($hWnd, $hWndServer, 1, '[Client 2' & ', Message3]' & @CRLF)
Sleep(100)

I run server script first and then run 2 child scripts simultaneously . I was able to receive/send messages to/from server script. But some important questions again arise for me 

In above example i tested with only 2 child scripts. In my automation i am going to use about 100 child scripts simultaneously.

Because i will use many child scripts is there any chance that some messages (i.e data ) will lost between server script and child scripts ?

If there is any chance of losing messages (i.e data) how to completely avoid messages (i.e data ) lost between server script and child scripts ?

In above example i have used Sleep(100) function to able to receive server response. But i dont want to pause my child scripts . How i can code my child scripts without Sleep function to be able to them receive an answer from server ?

Some important child scripts returns an array. Can server receive an array ?   

Also i dont understood how to get child script handle from server script. Say i run server script and now want to send some data to child script . How to do this ? As i understood server script can receive child script handle only if child sends some data . But how to know child script handle if i want to send data firstly from server ?  

Edited by ilqar200

3 hours ago, ilqar200 said:

Because i will use many child scripts is there any chance that some messages (i.e data ) will lost between server script and child scripts ?

No -- it is based on Windows messaging system -- no message should be lost

How i can code my child scripts without Sleep function to be able to them receive an answer from server ?

See example of UDF (look at Function WaitForResponse in child)

Some important child scripts returns an array. Can server receive an array ?

Convert the array into string with _ArrayToString to send and reconvert them into array with StringSplit on receive

Say i run server script and now want to send some data to child script . How to do this ?

In theory server needs to know if child is there, so you could just send to server a 1st acknowledge to let it know that child is ready to receive information from server.  It makes the communication protocol more robust. 

Edited by Nine

1 hour ago, Nine said:

See example of UDF (look at Function WaitForResponse in child)

4 hours ago, ilqar200 said:

Excuse me but your WaitForResponse function doing the same thing as mine code above i.e it pauses child script with Sleep(100) function. As i said in previous message i dont want to use Sleep function because it pauses child scripts . Pauses in child scripts can cause with higher chance of message skipping by one of child script  because there will be a lot of scripts and messages in between server and child scripts. I dont want use Sleep function in server script too.

So how to avoid message skipping in this case without Sleep function ?    

I didnot understood of meaning $iData variable in _WCD_Send function. I read that it is number of request. What it does affect ? Can i use in all my _WCD_Send function calls $iData equal to 1 ? Setting value of $iData to 1 in all cases will cause problems in my automation ?

I also didnot understood _WCD_Server_PeekRequest ()  function. When i must use this function ?

As i understood all messages (datas) will come as a String type. So i need convert from String to needed type in my scripts ?   

Never do a loop without a sleep in any IPC or GUI.  It will take 100% CPU for nothing, you always need to put a sleep (10 is minimum) unless you are calculating something.  But if you dont care about it, just remove the sleep in my example.

$iData has not meaning in itself, it is just a manner to create your own protocol.   You need to invent the way how client/server talks to each other.  I am just offering a framework for you to develop around it.  For example if $iData = 1 it may mean for you that the client Acknowledges it is ready.

Dont bother with _WCD_Server_PeekRequest until you feel the need to use it.

Now enough questions, start creating your scripts, and come with some tangible programs that we can discuss of.