CD Cover Addon

TheSaint

OK, I thought I'd share this while I'm developing it.

Many thanks to BugFix for the API code ... see here.

Please remember that this is only in it's infancy at the moment, and there will be many features and controlling elements coming ... not to mention that existing stuff may change completely. It could quite easily become an Addon for one of your own programs too ... the trick is in the parameters and where the CD details are located.

Basically I'm developing this (amongst other things) for my CDIni Database program, which is still available here as v3.6, but is now at v5.8. But I'm too involved in it to provide an update to the forum just yet, but it will be coming soon. It has had many features and improvements added to it since I last uploaded, which I'll go into with a lot more detail another time, but let's just say it can now Query the online FreeDB database, extract CDText, create an Ipod Notes list, backup to an importable zip file (which means you can easily share databases with others), do very comprehensive and powerful searches, etc, etc. Aside from the CDCover element, I'm currently working on a Music Charts database and Viewer, which can be Queried by the CDIni Database to get track years for Various Artist CD's, etc (I've been regularly receiving Chart emails for years now, which I save as texts, and which will be imported into the program, as well as comprehensive charts I collected years ago).

As things currently stand (v5.8), you can right-click on an album in the Database, and select the 'Create A CD Cover For Album' option. What you then get, is what you'll see, if you try out the code & files available below.

These are the current files, but I may combine some of them eventually.

CDCover.au3

InputOnTop.au3

Insert.au3

You will need to compile them to use them, and CDCover.au3 will either need to be updated to a later version of AutoIt or compiled with v3.2.4.9 or you can just use the compiled version I've provided in the zip below. All the required files are now also in this zip (including another ini to play with), and you still have to compile 2 of them and create the shortcut with the specified parameters (switches).

CDCover.zip (previous downloads: 2)

If you downloaded the files individually, then place those 3 compiled files in a folder, and make a sub-folder called Database. Then place the following unzipped .ini file into it.

COLD_CHISEL.zip

Then create a shortcut for CDCover.exe, and place the following two parameters on the command-line.

(1st) 1BEAA13

This is the CDID, so you can play with the other 3 in the .ini file if you wish.

(2nd) "COLD CHISEL"

Don't forget the inverted commas.

i.e. H:\_Backups\Uploaded\_Ready\CDCover.exe 1BEAA13 "COLD CHISEL"

How To Use Steps

1) Run the shortcut.

2) Click on the INSERT button.

3) Left-click on either Left or Right Spine or the Rear Insert to edit them.

4) Right-click on the Rear Insert to EXIT via the menu command (if you need to).

5) The PRINT button just closes the main program at the moment, which will leave you with the Insert only ... which you could do a Screen Capture of if you're keen, but sizes will need to be adjusted, as I haven't even looked at that aspect yet.

Now let me know what you think. I'm also not adverse to having others work with me on this, but can't promise how often I'll respond. Currently, this is the sum of my experience with API calls and DllStructCreate, and I've also not delved very far into RichEdit stuff, which I will obviously need to, to make this program great (i.e. work how it should). Then I'll have to learn about the Printing elements as well. All round, a learning experience for me.

Enjoy!

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

How about making an installer?

... that is a bit confusing.

8)

A good idea, that I'll get around to eventually. ;)

But is it really that confusing? ^_^

Apart from CDCover.exe, I didn't want to have to supply the files twice. As soon as I or someone else updates CDCover.au3 for later versions of AutoIt, I'll no longer provide it as an executable ... except in it's final form. :(

I thought it nice for people to read the scripts online, otherwise as you say, I could have provided them in one of my zip installer packages. The program's only really a demo at this stage, so I didn't want to get too fussy over how it's provided just yet. :D

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

^_^

That means you didn't put the parameters in the shortcut properly. There must be a space between each parameter and the filepath too.

Or going by the uneven number of downloads, you haven't got all the required files.

The full command-line example I provided, was copied straight out of my shortcut's properties, and works fine for me.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

OK, I've relented, and provided all the required files in the one zip (CDCover.zip). Just unzip it to your preferred location. Compile the two un-compiled scripts. Create the shortcut for CDCover.exe, using 1BEAA13 "COLD CHISEL" as the two command-line parameters in it's properties field. Then follow the rest of the instructions (How To Use Steps) listed above (1st post).

Spoiler

userbar.png