Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteelD

Can I do this?

3 posts in this topic

I'm new to AutoIt and thought I'd give it a try with what seemed to be a fairly simple exercise. It has turned out to be more difficult and maybe this is because I'm new to AutoIt and am using the wrong functions.

What I want to do is to create a little app that simply records how long it takes for various jobs to print through a number of applications. I just want the time it takes for the app to spool the job to the Windows spooler. The problem is detecting the start and end of the printing process. Now, I can get the script to start the printing with Send("^p{Enter}") and I can start the timer at that point but I can't figure how to detect that the print message dialog has disappeared off the screen. WinExists doesn't seem to detect it so I can't loop round while it exists and break out when it closes.

Any ideas how I should approach this?

Thanks

David

SteelD,

First, welcome to the AutoIt forums.

Try using the Au3 Info tool (it will be at "C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Au3Info.exe" if you did a standard install). This will let you find out some basic info about the dialog you are trying to ID. Read the Help file carefully concerning Window titles (you will find them under "Contents - Using AutoIt"), particularly the "Advanced Window Descriptions" section on the second page. Armed with this info you should be able to detect your difficult dialog!

Ask again if you have problems, but please include the data you get from the Au3 Info tool - some windows can be difficult to pin down.

M23

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind._______My UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

I'm new to AutoIt and thought I'd give it a try with what seemed to be a fairly simple exercise. It has turned out to be more difficult and maybe this is because I'm new to AutoIt and am using the wrong functions.

What I want to do is to create a little app that simply records how long it takes for various jobs to print through a number of applications. I just want the time it takes for the app to spool the job to the Windows spooler. The problem is detecting the start and end of the printing process. Now, I can get the script to start the printing with Send("^p{Enter}") and I can start the timer at that point but I can't figure how to detect that the print message dialog has disappeared off the screen. WinExists doesn't seem to detect it so I can't loop round while it exists and break out when it closes.

Any ideas how I should approach this?

Thanks

David

Read this.