Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EddardStark

Machine AD OU or "IfExist" regread?

7 posts in this topic

I'm writing a script that would be greatly aided by be able to find the local machine's OU inside Active Directory. As far as I understand, Microsoft in its infinite wisdom did not put this attribute anywhere in the registry. I did find a key that has the machine's name along with the OU is a member of. My questions are:

1) Is it possible to kind of like an "IfExist" regread where I can search a specific registry key to see if it contains certain text?

2) Does anybody have a way to find out the OU of a machine by issuing commands through an AutoIT script?

Thanks a lot!

#2 ·  Posted (edited)

I'm writing a script that would be greatly aided by be able to find the local machine's OU inside Active Directory. As far as I understand, Microsoft in its infinite wisdom did not put this attribute anywhere in the registry. I did find a key that has the machine's name along with the OU is a member of. My questions are:

1) Is it possible to kind of like an "IfExist" regread where I can search a specific registry key to see if it contains certain text?

2) Does anybody have a way to find out the OU of a machine by issuing commands through an AutoIT script?

Thanks a lot!

Hello EddardStark

I am not an Autoit expert

but if you could run "dsquery computer domianroot -name computername" you maybe prompted for domain admin credentials

but you could i think incorporate that into your script such as

maybe??

#RequireAdmin

$computer = inputbox("computerName", "", "", "")

RunWait(@ComSpec & "/c " & 'dsquery computer domainroot -name' & " " & $computer & " " & '>' & @ScriptDir & '\query.txt',"",@SW_HIDE)

N.B. my code doesn't work as I am not that proficient in Autoit as of yet but maybe someone else can help with this code for you

Then export it to a file and read information after OU=

as a mentioned I am not an expert but i would think if you spent time on looking at some ideas i had you migth be able to come up with something >_< hehe

Edited by failedtocompile

#3 ·  Posted (edited)

For Question 1 -

RegRead

StringCompare

Edited by snowmaker

- Bruce /*somdcomputerguy */  If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Ya I guess, since OP just wants to search for text contained in a string. I didn't read the first post well enough..

- Bruce /*somdcomputerguy */  If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

#6 ·  Posted (edited)

The following script should give you the FQDN of the local computer. You can strip off the OU you need.

adfunctions.au3 can be found here.

#include <adfunctions.au3>
ConsoleWrite(_ADSamAccountNameToFQDN(@ComputerName & "{:content:}quot;) & @CRLF)
Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
PowerPoint (2015-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Thanks guys. You gave me a few ideas and options that I can easily work from.