Sign in to follow this  
Achilles

Getting default icons for files

Achilles

Each icon has an icon based on it's file type. Is there a way to find a path to this icon (or the exe that contains it)? I've searched some but haven't found any thing related to this.

My Programs[list][*]Knight Media Player[*]Multiple Desktops[*]Daily Comics[*]Journal[/list]

bobbintb

i dont quite understand what you are saying. are you trying to specifically access a certain image in the icon file?

TurionAltec

File extension associations are stored in the registry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

Good luck trying to make sense of it.

eg:

HKR\.wav\(Default)=VLC.wav

HKR\VLC.wav\DefaultIcon\(Default)="c:\Program Files\VLC\vlc.exe",0

HKR\.doc\(Default)=Word.document.8

HKR\Word.document.8\DefaultIcon\(Default)=C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}\wordicon.exe,1

Zedna

Each icon has an icon based on it's file type. Is there a way to find a path to this icon (or the exe that contains it)? I've searched some but haven't found any thing related to this.

You searched badly ;-)

Edited by Zedna

Authenticity

You can also use this function from shell32.dll. Search the forum, there as been many examples to this particular case.

Yashied

I use the following. Returns a path to the icon and its index in "pure" form.

#Include <WinAPIEx.au3>

Global $Ext = '.au3'

ConsoleWrite('(' & $Ext & ')' & @CR)
ConsoleWrite('--------------------' & @CR)
ConsoleWrite('Type: ' & _WinAPI_AssocQueryString($Ext, $ASSOCSTR_FRIENDLYDOCNAME) & @CR)
ConsoleWrite('Command: ' & _WinAPI_AssocQueryString($Ext, $ASSOCSTR_COMMAND) & @CR)
ConsoleWrite('Executable: ' & _WinAPI_AssocQueryString($Ext, $ASSOCSTR_EXECUTABLE) & @CR)
ConsoleWrite('Icon: ' & _WinAPI_AssocQueryString($Ext, $ASSOCSTR_DEFAULTICON) & @CR)

WinAPIEx.au3

Edited by Yashied
  • Like 1