Authenticate with Active Directory

Lew

search the forum first ;)

I've been looking around the forums but can't fine what I am looking for yet but just want to see if anybody had something I could look at that they might have came across. :):)

What do you want to do exactly?

If you just want to check a given userid/password against the AD then you will find some solutions on the forum.

Or you could use this tool.

If you run Windows 7 you could use the latest version of my AD UDF (for download please see my signature). Just call _AD_Open() with userid/password and check the return code.

This function is not yet available in version 0.39. If you want to test it I will send you the latest version.

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

For the current user this would look like:

#include <AD.au3>
If _AD_Open() <> 1 Then
  MsgBox(0,"AD","Error " & @error " returned by _AD_Open.") ; Invalid userid/password etc.
  Exit
Endif
If _AD_IsMemberOf("Group") = 1 Then
  MsgBox(0,"AD","User is member of group xx")
  Exit
Endif
_AD_Close()

If you are running Windows 7 you get more information if the userid/password is invalid, account is locked etc.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

#include <AD.au3>
If _AD_Open() <> 1 Then
  MsgBox(0,"AD","Error " & @error " returned by _AD_Open.") ; Invalid userid/password etc.
  Exit
Endif
  Exit
Endif
_AD_Close()

If you are running Windows 7 you get more information if the userid/password is invalid, account is locked etc.

Thanks, I was thinking about that last night some how using _AD_Open and _AD_IsMemberOf. It will be running on XP but will have to play around with those functions and see what I get out of them.

#include <AD.au3>
If _AD_Open() <> 1 Then
  Exit
Endif
  Exit
Endif
_AD_Close()

Water - Question for you. I am running this under WinXP. _AD_Open ( "Username", "Password")

If I use this with the correct password or wrong password, I receive a value of Success - 1 and @error of 0. Is that because I am running this under WinXP?

Is that because I am running this under WinXP?

Correct. Windows XP is not very good in returning useful error information.

You can either use the test version of the enhanced _AD_Open. Or you can wait for version 0.40 of the UDF which will be released in the next 2-3 weeks.

Both functions set @error = 8 on Windows XP if the userid or password is invalid.

On Windows 7 you get an error array and @error is set to the Windows32 error code of the last LDAP function call.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Correct. Windows XP is not very good in returning useful error information.

You can either use the test version of the enhanced _AD_Open. Or you can wait for version 0.40 of the UDF which will be released in the next 2-3 weeks.

Both functions set @error = 8 on Windows XP if the userid or password is invalid.

On Windows 7 you get an error array and @error is set to the Windows32 error code of the last LDAP function call.

Thanks water, That test version worked for me.