Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Santana

AutoProtecting Excel Worksheets from Autoit

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I was assigned a project where upper management will log in to a form and make a request for reports. then my unit will create the report ans save it on a network shared directory.

I though about having a MS Access Database with 3 forms (request, upload and report viewer/search)

• Management will fill out the request form form and when they save/close the form, an email is sent to our unit with a generated projectid and requestor email information.
  • we will then create the report, open the upload form which will move the report to a shared directory with a new filename and store a link on a table field.
  • By using the projectid and the requestor email information, an email is autogenerated advising that the report is available for review
  • The requestor will then login and review the report.
My challenge is that my boss wants the files protected from being edited. I thought about pdf. However, most files are too wide to fit into a single page which eliminates this approach.

I wonder if there is a way to (from Autoit) open or move a file, protect all the cells and assign passwords to unprotect, then save the file. This way dont have to manually protect files before they're moved to the shared directory.

I will really appreciate any input.

Just another special date with a different challenge

This protects all sheets in a workbook:

#include <excel.au3>
$oExcel = _ExcelBookOpen("C:\temp\test.xls")
For $oSheet In $oExcel.ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
    $oSheet.Protect("Test")     ; Protect 
;   $oSheet.UnProtect("Test")   ; Unprotect 
Next
_ExcelBookSave($oExcel)
Exit

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
PowerPoint (2015-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Water,

Thanks for the reply. There is another situation, the excel reports are divided by tabs in the workbook and tabs. Each tab is a subsection of the same report and it contains the title for the specified tab (and that is unknown to the user uploading the files). Can we include a way to identify each tab by its name? I see that the sample code include a tab named "test". Is there any way to retrieve the name of each tab so we can supply it in the script as an argument?

Thanks again

#4 ·  Posted (edited)

... I see that the sample code include a tab named "test" ...

The example code protects/unprotects all sheets of the test.xls worksheet.

What you see in the code as "test" is the password to protect/unprotect the sheet.

What do you mean by "tab" - the sheets the workbook consists of?

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
PowerPoint (2015-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Yes. I wrote tabs by I meant worksheet. I will give it a try and see.