Subtitle pretty much says it.

This program darkens the screen except for the active window with options accessible through a convenient tray icon.

Other options are supported as well, including:

• active window-change fading control
  • custom darkening color (instead of default black)
  • background image choice (faded image over background windows. weird, but ok.)
  • etc...
Obligatory Screenshot:

Posted Image

Download:

WindowDarken.zip (source)

Off-topic notes:

I have no clue if there are other programs that do something similar, nor did I really check. I didn't really check the forum thoroughly either to see if something like this already existed, sorry.

This was written initially for Windows XP, so I'm sorry if I wasted your time if something like this exists in your Windows Vista or 7.

Tech summary:

Forces the active Window as Topmost and a solid "darken" window on top of the normal windosw.

Has complications concerning topmost state changes of both windows and other topmost windows.

Doesn't seem to get along with some windows (namely GIMP's editor window).

Some exclusions are coded in, but there may need to be an option added later to allow custom exclusions.

Au3.3.6.1 tested

WinXP SP3 tested

You may now critique my horrible code. *fires starting pistol* :x

Edit 5-5-2013: Images were not visible

Edited by crashdemons

My Projects - WindowDarken (Darken except the active window) Yahsmosis Chat Client (Discontinued) StarShooter Game (Red alert! All hands to battlestations!) YMSG Protocol Support (Discontinued) Circular Keyboard and OSK example. (aka Iris KB) Target Screensaver Drive Toolbar Thingy Rollup Pro (Minimize-to-Titlebar & More!) 2D Launcher physics example Ascii Screenshot AutoIt3 Quine Example ("Is a Quine" is a Quine.) USB Lock (Another system keydrive - with a toast.)

Nice idea and implementation! I like it and it seems to work properly also on Windows Server 2008.

Can you implement to activate the window under the mouse after x ms?

Br,

UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

Nice idea and implementation! I like it and it seems to work properly also on Windows Server 2008.

Can you implement to activate the window under the mouse after x ms?

Br,

UEZ

I'm not sure what API calls would make this happen, but in Windows XP this behavior can be enabled through Microsoft's Tweak UI program.

( Mouse -> X-Mouse )

Could just be a registry setting, but I'm not sure what it does to make it take effect immediately.

I have no idea about Server 2008 support for this feature though...

- - - - -

If this can be solved with a system setting, I will probably consider it beyond the scope of this project.

_WinAPI_SystemParameterInfo() with SPI_SETACTIVEWINDOWTRACKING perhaps?

Edited by crashdemons

My Projects - WindowDarken (Darken except the active window) Yahsmosis Chat Client (Discontinued) StarShooter Game (Red alert! All hands to battlestations!) YMSG Protocol Support (Discontinued) Circular Keyboard and OSK example. (aka Iris KB) Target Screensaver Drive Toolbar Thingy Rollup Pro (Minimize-to-Titlebar & More!) 2D Launcher physics example Ascii Screenshot AutoIt3 Quine Example ("Is a Quine" is a Quine.) USB Lock (Another system keydrive - with a toast.)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By kingjacob90
      Hi
      So I am trying to click the green button, this button is not always in the same place. So fare I am trying to click it by finding the color but there is also something else with the same color on the screen (circled in yellow) that is causing issues. Is there a way to use the Title and Class of the window (can't be just the window as there are more than one with the same name).
      How does AutoIt Info get this information?

• By nacerbaaziz
      question about _WinAPI_CreateWindowEx
      good morning
      welcome autoit team
      please i need your help
      i've searched a lot about how to use the _WinAPI_CreateWindowEx
      finally i found an example
      but i found some problem i hope you can help me
      firstly, i want to set the controls focussable with the keyboard input
      i already used the ws_tabStop but it did not work with me.
      secondly, i want to set some access keys linked with the window
      such as control+o enable the open button and control+f4 exit the app
      note: i need a local access keys and not a global hotkeys
      such as GUISetAccelerators
      finaly, before i will put the code here i must clarify a few things.
      1. you will ask me why you don't use the GUICreate function
      here i'll tell you that it as dialog and It is a little heavy in motion with screen readers.
      the screen readers for blind has some function that work with dialogs and others work with full windows style
      2. you will ask me why you didn't search the net for that?
      i will tell you that all examples that i found in the internet with pdfs and Picture books.
      i found some examples in microsoft but it with cpp.
      ok here is the code
      i hope you can help me to do what i want
      thank you in advance

; Small AutoIt Application that uses Windows API ; Written by Yuraj #NoTrayIcon #include <_RegisterClassEx.au3> #include <WinAPI.au3> #include <WindowsConstants.au3> #include <ButtonConstants.au3> #include <EditConstants.au3> #include <FontConstants.au3> AutoItSetOption("MustDeclareVars", 1) ; Window definitions Const $WinWidth = 370 Const $WinHeight = 350 Const $WinXPos = (@DesktopWidth / 2) - ($WinWidth / 2) Const $WinYPos = (@DesktopHeight / 2) - ($WinHeight / 2) Const $WinTitle = "Win32 Application - Text reader" Const $WinClass = "mainapp" Const $WinIcon = _WinAPI_LoadIcon(_WinAPI_GetModuleHandle("shell32.dll"), 13) ; Windows handles Global $hwnd, $edit1, $btn1, $btn2 ; Fonts Global $fnt1 ; Register class, Create the window Local $retVal = __WinAPI_RegisterClassEx($WinClass, "WindowCallback", $WinIcon, 0, _WinAPI_GetSysColor($COLOR_BTNFACE), BitOR($CS_DEFAULTSTYLE, $CS_DROPSHADOW)) ; If $retVal == 0 Then ; If registerclass fails MsgBox(16, "Error", "Error while registering window class!") Exit EndIf ; Create windows/controls $hwnd = _WinAPI_CreateWindowEx($WS_EX_STATICEDGE, $WinClass, $WinTitle, BitOR($WS_OVERLAPPED,$WS_SYSMENU, $WS_MINIMIZEBOX, $WS_GROUP, $WS_DLGFRAME), $WinXPos, $WinYPos, $WinWidth, $WinHeight, 0) $btn1 = _WinAPI_CreateWindowEx(0, "button", "Open file ...", BitOR($WS_VISIBLE, $WS_CHILD, $WS_TABSTOP, $WS_CLIPCHILDREN), 25, 270, 100, 30,$hwnd) $btn2 = _WinAPI_CreateWindowEx(0, "Button", "Exit", BitOR($WS_VISIBLE, $WS_CHILD, $WS_TABSTOP, $WS_CLIPCHILDREN), 235, 270, 100, 30, $hwnd) $edit1 = _WinAPI_CreateWindowEx(0, "edit", "text", BitOR($WS_VISIBLE, $WS_CHILD, $WS_VSCROLL, $ES_AUTOVSCROLL, $es_readOnly, $WS_TABSTOP), 5, 5, $WinWidth - 15, $WinHeight - 100, $hwnd) ; Set controls identifiers _WinAPI_SetWindowLong($btn1,$GWL_ID,150) _WinAPI_SetWindowLong($btn2,$GWL_ID,160) ; Set (controls) fonts $fnt1 = _CreateFont("MS Sans Serif", 15) _WinAPI_SetFont($btn1, $fnt1) _WinAPI_SetFont($btn2, $fnt1) _WinAPI_SetFont($edit1, $fnt1) ; Set focus to edit _WinAPI_SetFocus($edit1) ; Show window _WinAPI_ShowWindow($hwnd) _WinAPI_UpdateWindow($hwnd) ; Main loop that keep application opened While 1 Sleep(100) WEnd ;=================================================================; ; WINDOW CALLBACK ... ;=================================================================; Func WindowCallback($_hwnd, $iMsg, $wParam, $lParam) Local $iNC, $iID Switch $iMsg ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; Case $WM_CLOSE ; Show message on closing If MsgBox(48 + 4, $WinTitle, "Do you want really exit?", 0, $hwnd) <> 6 Then Return 0 ; Call destructor and then exit main thread FinalizeApp() Exit ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; Case $WM_COMMAND $iNC = _WinAPI_HiWord($wParam) $iID = _WinAPI_LoWord($lParam) Switch $iNC Case $BN_CLICKED ; When is control clicked Switch _WinAPI_GetDlgCtrlID($iID) Case _WinAPI_GetDlgCtrlID($btn1) BtnOpenFileClick() Case _WinAPI_GetDlgCtrlID($btn2) BtnExitClick() EndSwitch EndSwitch ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; EndSwitch Return _WinAPI_DefWindowProc($_hwnd, $iMsg, $wParam, $lParam) EndFunc ;==>WindowCallback Func FinalizeApp() _WinAPI_DeleteObject($fnt1) _WinAPI_DestroyWindow($hwnd) __WinAPI_UnregisterClass($WinClass) EndFunc ;==>FinalizeApp Func _CreateFont($fontName, $height = 16, $style = $FW_NORMAL, $italic = False, $underline = False, $strikeout = False) Local $hFont = _WinAPI_CreateFont($height, 0, 0, 0, $style, $italic, $underline, $strikeout, $DEFAULT_CHARSET, _ $OUT_DEFAULT_PRECIS, $CLIP_DEFAULT_PRECIS, $DEFAULT_QUALITY, $DEFAULT_PITCH, $fontName) Return $hFont EndFunc ;==>_CreateFont ;=================================================================; ; WINDOW EVENTS ;=================================================================; Func BtnOpenFileClick() Local $ret = _WinAPI_GetOpenFileName("", "Text files (*.txt)|All files (*.*)", ".", "", "", 1, 0, 0, $hwnd) If ($ret[0] > 0) Then Local $path = $ret[1] & "\" & $ret[2] Local $file = _WinAPI_CreateFile($path, 2, 2) Local $buf = DllStructCreate("byte[" & _WinAPI_GetFileSizeEx($file) & "]") Local $i = 0 _WinAPI_ReadFile($file, DllStructGetPtr($buf), _WinAPI_GetFileSizeEx($file), $i) ; Close file handle _WinAPI_CloseHandle($file) _WinAPI_SetWindowText($edit1, BinaryToString(DllStructGetData($buf, 1))) EndIf EndFunc ;==>BtnOpenFileClick Func BtnExitClick() FinalizeApp() Exit EndFunc ;==>BtnExitClick  
      _RegisterClassEx.au3
    • By GNGNUT
      Hi guys
      what i am trying to do is have My Gui LIve update Out of focus, so i can have this on a 2nd monitor streaming live updates while i continue to work on other screen, 
      i have been googling and looking at other threads about focus and stuff , but they do not seem to match what I'm after, 

to be clear - i am not wanting to put focus on the GUI for it to auto update values, 

if you have any positive feed back on the script while you read - i would be more then happy to accept - as im still building my Knowledge of this coding, 
      and stream line is always better Garbage code writing, 

Kind regards 
      Gngnut

#include <MemoryConstants.au3> #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> #include <ButtonConstants.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <StaticConstants.au3> #include <WindowsConstants.au3> Global $currentTime,$currentTimeValue,$v,$Label_Time,$Form1 Global $Label_C2_1,$Label_C2_2,$Label_C2_3,$Label_C2_4,$Label_C2_5,$Label_C2_6,$Label_C2_7 Global $Label_C3_1,$Label_C3_2,$Label_C3_3,$Label_C3_4,$Label_C3_5,$Label_C3_6,$Label_C3_7 ;~ Default Hight for boxs $Hight = 40 $lenght = 180 ;; As per nines comments moved out side of the While loop, AdlibRegister(UpdateTime,250) AdlibRegister(updateValues,500) AdlibRegister(Warning,250) hotkeyset ("{ESC}",Terminate) ;; <<< Used to Quit the programe $aMemStats = MemGetStats() MyGui() ;; running the GUI #Region ### START Koda GUI section ### Form= func MyGui() $ServerName=@ComputerName ; ### Change to your location of image $Image = "C:\Users\gngnut\OneDrive\Pictures\Computer.jpg" ; Creating the form With the Labels $Form1 = GUICreate("My System Status", 800, 750, 225, 173,BitOR($WS_SYSMENU,$WS_MAXIMIZEBOX,$WS_MINIMIZEBOX));$WS_POPUP)) $Pic1 = GUICtrlCreatePic($Image, 0, 0, 800, 750) ;;; #### Column 1 $Label_C1_1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Total load currently on RAM:", 71, 192, 180, $Hight, BitOR($SS_CENTER,"")) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFEF200) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Lucida Console") $Label_C1_2 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Total physical RAM:", 71, 248, 180, $Hight, BitOR($SS_CENTER,"")) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFEF200) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Lucida Console") $Label_C1_3 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Available physical RAM:", 71, 304, 180, $Hight, BitOR($SS_CENTER,"")) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFEF200) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Lucida Console") $Label_C1_4 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Total Page Size:", 71, 360, 180, $Hight, BitOR($SS_CENTER,"")) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFEF200) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Lucida Console") $Label_C1_5 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Available Page Size:", 71, 416, 180, $Hight, BitOR($SS_CENTER,"")) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFEF200) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Lucida Console") $Label_C1_6 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Total virtual Size:", 71, 472, 180, $Hight, BitOR($SS_CENTER,"")) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFEF200) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Lucida Console") $Label_C1_7 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Available virtual RAM:", 71, 528, 180, $Hight, BitOR($SS_CENTER,"")) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFEF200) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Lucida Console") ;;; #### Column 2 $Label_C2_1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel($aMemStats[$MEM_LOAD] & " %", 311, 192, 180, $Hight, BitOR($SS_CENTER,$WS_BORDER,$SS_CENTERIMAGE)) $colour=0xFEF200 GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Lucida Console") $Label_C2_2 = GUICtrlCreateLabel($aMemStats[$MEM_TOTALPHYSRAM] & ' Kb' , 311, 248, 180, $Hight, BitOR($SS_CENTER,$WS_BORDER,$SS_CENTERIMAGE)) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFEF200) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Lucida Console") $Label_C2_3 = GUICtrlCreateLabel($aMemStats[$MEM_AVAILPHYSRAM] & ' Kb', 311, 304, 180, $Hight, BitOR($SS_CENTER,$WS_BORDER,$SS_CENTERIMAGE)) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFEF200) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Lucida Console") $Label_C2_4 = GUICtrlCreateLabel($aMemStats[$MEM_TOTALPAGEFILE] & ' Kb', 311, 360, 180, $Hight, BitOR($SS_CENTER,$WS_BORDER,$SS_CENTERIMAGE)) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFEF200) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Lucida Console") $Label_C2_5 = GUICtrlCreateLabel($aMemStats[$MEM_AVAILPAGEFILE] & ' Kb', 311, 416, 180, $Hight, BitOR($SS_CENTER,$WS_BORDER,$SS_CENTERIMAGE)) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFEF200) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Lucida Console") $Label_C2_6 = GUICtrlCreateLabel($aMemStats[$MEM_TOTALVIRTUAL] & ' Kb' , 311, 472, 180, $Hight, BitOR($SS_CENTER,$WS_BORDER,$SS_CENTERIMAGE)) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFEF200) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Lucida Console") $Label_C2_7 = GUICtrlCreateLabel($aMemStats[$MEM_AVAILVIRTUAL] & ' Kb', 311, 528, 180, $Hight, BitOR($SS_CENTER,$WS_BORDER,$SS_CENTERIMAGE)) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFEF200) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Lucida Console") ;;; #### Column 3 $Label_C3_2 = GUICtrlCreateLabel(Round($aMemStats[$MEM_TOTALPHYSRAM]/1024/1024, 2) & ' Gb', 551, 248, 180, $Hight, BitOR($SS_CENTER,$WS_BORDER,$SS_CENTERIMAGE)) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFEF200) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Lucida Console") $Label_C3_3 = GUICtrlCreateLabel(Round($aMemStats[$MEM_AVAILPHYSRAM]/1024/1024, 2) & ' Gb', 551, 304, 180, $Hight, BitOR($SS_CENTER,$WS_BORDER,$SS_CENTERIMAGE)) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFEF200) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Lucida Console") $Label_C3_4 = GUICtrlCreateLabel(Round($aMemStats[$MEM_TOTALPAGEFILE]/1024/1024, 2) & ' Gb', 551, 360, 180, $Hight, BitOR($SS_CENTER,$WS_BORDER,$SS_CENTERIMAGE)) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFEF200) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Lucida Console") $Label_C3_5 = GUICtrlCreateLabel(Round($aMemStats[$MEM_AVAILPAGEFILE]/1024/1024, 2) & ' Gb', 551, 416, 180, $Hight, BitOR($SS_CENTER,$WS_BORDER,$SS_CENTERIMAGE)) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFEF200) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Lucida Console") $Label_C3_6 = GUICtrlCreateLabel(Round($aMemStats[$MEM_TOTALVIRTUAL]/1024/1024, 2) & ' Gb', 551, 472, 180, $Hight, BitOR($SS_CENTER,$WS_BORDER,$SS_CENTERIMAGE)) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFEF200) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Lucida Console") $Label_C3_7 = GUICtrlCreateLabel(Round($aMemStats[$MEM_AVAILVIRTUAL]/1024/1024, 2) & ' Gb', 551, 528, 180, $Hight, BitOR($SS_CENTER,$WS_BORDER,$SS_CENTERIMAGE)) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFEF200) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Lucida Console") $Label_Server = GUICtrlCreateLabel($ServerName, 551, 600, 180, $Hight, BitOR($SS_CENTER,$WS_BORDER,$SS_CENTERIMAGE)) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFEF200) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Lucida Console") $Label_Time = GUICtrlCreateLabel($currentTime , 71, 600, 180, $Hight, bitOR($SS_CENTER,$WS_BORDER,$SS_CENTERIMAGE)) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFEF200) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Lucida Console") GUISetState(@SW_SHOWNORMAL) #EndRegion ### END Koda GUI section ### EndFunc While 1 Sleep(1000) ; sets a delay of 1 sec per 1000 WEnd ;; close down the Application func Terminate() exit EndFunc ;; Updating Time func UpdateTime() $currentTime = @HOUR&":"& @MIN &":"& @SEC ControlSetText($Form1,"",$Label_Time, $currentTime) EndFunc ;; currently changing the CPU % lable Func Warning() if $aMemStats[$MEM_LOAD] <=40 Then ; Green GUICtrlSetbkColor($Label_C2_1,0x2BFC0B) ElseIf $aMemStats[$MEM_LOAD] >40 and $aMemStats[$MEM_LOAD] <= 80 Then GUICtrlSetbkColor($Label_C2_1,0xFDBE01) Elseif $aMemStats[$MEM_LOAD] > 80 Then GUICtrlSetBkColor($Label_C2_1, 0xEE0C0C) EndIf EndFunc ;; Updating The Lable values of column 2 Only if the values change func updateValues() $aMemStats = MemGetStats() if GUICtrlRead($Label_C2_1) <> $aMemStats[$MEM_LOAD] Then ControlSetText($Form1,"",$Label_C2_1,$aMemStats[$MEM_LOAD]) endif If GUICtrlRead($Label_C2_2) <> $aMemStats[$MEM_TOTALPHYSRAM] & ' Kb' then ControlSetText($Form1,"",$Label_C2_2,$aMemStats[$MEM_TOTALPHYSRAM] & ' Kb') endif If GUICtrlRead($Label_C2_3) <> $aMemStats[$MEM_AVAILPHYSRAM] & ' Kb' then ControlSetText($Form1,"",$Label_C2_3,$aMemStats[$MEM_AVAILPHYSRAM] & ' Kb') endif If GUICtrlRead($Label_C2_4) <> $aMemStats[$MEM_TOTALPAGEFILE] & ' Kb' then ControlSetText($Form1,"",$Label_C2_4,$aMemStats[$MEM_TOTALPAGEFILE] & ' Kb') endif If GUICtrlRead($Label_C2_5) <> $aMemStats[$MEM_AVAILPAGEFILE] & ' Kb' then ControlSetText($Form1,"",$Label_C2_5,$aMemStats[$MEM_AVAILPAGEFILE] & ' Kb') endif If GUICtrlRead($Label_C2_6) <> $aMemStats[$MEM_TOTALVIRTUAL] & ' Kb' then ControlSetText($Form1,"",$Label_C2_6,$aMemStats[$MEM_TOTALVIRTUAL] & ' Kb') endif If GUICtrlRead($Label_C2_7) <> $aMemStats[$MEM_AVAILVIRTUAL] & ' Kb' then ControlSetText($Form1,"",$Label_C2_7,$aMemStats[$MEM_AVAILVIRTUAL] & ' Kb') endif EndFunc  
    • By Schuster
      Hey there,
      i need your help guys. I am working in the QA department of my company. A little part of or software produces hints (like little popups) which needs to be tested every release. I wrote scripts to trigger those hints and i also implemented the imagesearch.dll to find those hints on the screen. My goal now is it to let the machine work over night, so when i come back to work i only get a report which says 130/140 hints were found successfully. This already works, aslong as my pc is not locked, but i want/need to lock my pc because of security concerns.
      My general question. Is it possible to run my scripts on my locked PC and still find an image that i provide which will open sooner or later in the background?

Thanks in advance
    • By nooneclose
      Good morning, I have been thinking about trying to make my Autoit script run in the background. I found out today that it is impossible due to the UIA and mouseclick functions that I use. However, while reading other posts about running Autoit scripts in the background I saw a reply mentioning how a script like mine might be able to run on a VM while still giving me the ability to work on my Host OS. Can someone confirm this? 
      Here is a link to the thread where I saw VM mentioned. 
      the person who mentioned it was @ViciousXUSMC