User State Migration Tool Front End

llewxam

Getting 404 when trying to download the extras ;)

Awfully sorry - I must have accidentally deleted that when cleaning up the server a bit... The link is now fixed.

Ian

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • 2048 Game - My version of 2048, fun tile game.
  • Juice Lab - Ecigarette liquid making calculator.
  • Data Protector - Secure notes to save sensitive information.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.
  • Find in File - Searches files containing a specified phrase.

I remembered seeing this when i was sorting the wiki recently dont know if this will help

Add User Accounts ~ Author - MHz
_NetUser('Jack', 'pw_abc')
_NetUser('Jill', 'pw_def')

; Add User Accounts
Func _NetUser($sName, $sPassword = '', $sGroupName = 'Administrators', $iAutoLogon = 0)
; Creates user accounts. Only 1 user can have autologon, if set.
If Not FileExists(EnvGet('AllUsersProfile') & '\..\' & $sName) Then
  RunWait(@ComSpec & ' /c ' & _
    'Net User ' & $sName & ' ' & $sPassword & ' /add &&' & _
    'Net LocalGroup ' & $sGroupName & ' ' & $sName & ' /add &' & _
    'Net Accounts /MaxPwAge:UnLimited', '', @SW_HIDE)
  If $iAutoLogon Then
   Local $sRegKey = 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon'
   RegWrite($sRegKey, 'DefaultUserName', 'Reg_sz', $sName)
   RegWrite($sRegKey, 'DefaultPassword', 'Reg_sz', $sPassword)
   RegWrite($sRegKey, 'AutoAdminLogon', 'Reg_sz', 1)
  EndIf
EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_NetUser

frpm this page

http://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/Snippets_%28_Windows_OS_%29

I remembered seeing this when i was sorting the wiki recently dont know if this will help

Add User Accounts ~ Author - MHz
_NetUser('Jack', 'pw_abc')
_NetUser('Jill', 'pw_def')

; Add User Accounts
Func _NetUser($sName, $sPassword = '', $sGroupName = 'Administrators', $iAutoLogon = 0)
; Creates user accounts. Only 1 user can have autologon, if set.
If Not FileExists(EnvGet('AllUsersProfile') & '..' & $sName) Then
  RunWait(@ComSpec & ' /c ' & _
    'Net User ' & $sName & ' ' & $sPassword & ' /add &&' & _
    'Net LocalGroup ' & $sGroupName & ' ' & $sName & ' /add &' & _
    'Net Accounts /MaxPwAge:UnLimited', '', @SW_HIDE)
  If $iAutoLogon Then
   Local $sRegKey = 'HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogon'
   RegWrite($sRegKey, 'DefaultUserName', 'Reg_sz', $sName)
   RegWrite($sRegKey, 'DefaultPassword', 'Reg_sz', $sPassword)
   RegWrite($sRegKey, 'AutoAdminLogon', 'Reg_sz', 1)
  EndIf
EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_NetUser

frpm this page

http://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/Snippets_%28_Windows_OS_%29

That's cool - USMT natively supports adding non-existing users with the restore function, but I don't trust it, it has failed to create the profiles properly in the past. Maybe using your snippet the profiles could be created manually before the import.....

Ian

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.

As long as you can get a list or an .ini or something with the files saved then tell your script to make them first them add the usmt without profiles. it might work

• 1 year later...

I know this thread has been inactive for a while, but I recently found out about this front end and have been playing around with it a bit to see if it might suit my needs.  Through this tinkering I also found a workaround for one of the bugs mentioned in this thread, so i though i've share.  I too have encountered the half created accounts, the following commands do the rest of the job creating those accounts

net localgroup administrators username /add
net share sharename=C: /grant:username,full

where username is the name of a half created account.  It may be case sensative, I've always submitted the correct case.

So that's the helpful bit of what I've noted so far. 

Now, despite how old this thread is, if anyone might be able to help answer why I can't get any apps to migrate I'd be very greatful.  I've double checked the detection conditions in the migapp.xml and as far as I can tell everything is in fact present on the system.   FYI on what i've tried; the original package, as well as replacing the contents of the accomanied .7z's with newer &/or edited Migapp.xml, & newer copies of all the supplied USMT files.

Any idea why migapp doesn't seem to be catching anything or how I could test that particular feature to figure out where it's breaking?

Dealing with the XML files for specifying additional data to be included in the backup is quite a chore.  The only way to test if you got it right would be to let the program run after configuring the XML, and I know that USMT can take a pretty long time.

Please post what changes you have made to the migapp.xml, I can have a look to see if anything jumps out at me.  Also, thanks for your suggestions on getting the restore feature to work, if I ever re-open this project I will try to remember your helpful hints to work them in.

Ian

My projects:

Oh, I just remembered something helpful - USMT 4 has a command /listfiles to tell you what files are going to be backed up.  To be honest, I don't know if it then does the backup anyway, or does it first then tells you what it did, and the bundled version of USMT 4 that I include does not seem to support it anyway but take a look if you updated your version.  There is also a USMT 5 now, so I'll have to research it if I do re-open this project.

Ian

My projects:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking in to USMT 5.0 and built a GUI for it, was planning on expanding the GUI to make it a lot nicer but came across a VERY annoying "feature" - running USMT 5.0 from the live machine which was Windows 7 Pro x64, any files downloaded from the internet and not "unblocked" were created as folders in the data store, with the actual file in the folder along with a $Zone$$Identifier file.  HIGHLY annoying, and not at all acceptable for a general-use data backup tool.  I feel it would be unacceptable to run a tool such as SysInternal's Streams.exe prior to the backup, too time consuming to have to run this tool on the whole source drive prior to running USMT, not to mention if you were just looking to create a backup of the data on your live machine you certainly wouldn't want to strip out all alternate data streams anyway!

I put some feelers out on Microsoft's forums but so far no help, and I have been through the options and XML files looking for any way to get it to not do this.  I consider it a dealbreaker until it can be disabled somehow.

I was also hoping that the /listfiles option would help but that seems to only show the files as they are backed up, not before, so that suggestion is out.

If anybody wants to help look for the solution I would be grateful.

Ian

My projects:

• 1 month later...

Ian, very nice product you have... I'm interested on expanding the work and would be nice to have help with it... I do some work as a contractor with small and mis size companies and would like to have a conversation with you and see if you are interested on making some changes to the script as a developer... if you are interested please contact me at dfzamora@newsolutionsinc.biz

I have an update on this tool - I was unable to find a way to deal with the alternate data streams issue through command line or XML file modification, so ended up using Streams.exe to accomplish the goal.  Really not my preferred way of doing it, but as my company uses it, it is only ever used prior to a Windows reload, so ditching all alternate data stream data isn't a big deal.  However, for any users planning on using this as a means to create a backup but keeping the system as-is, PLEASE be aware of this!  I can't really think of any circumstance that it would be harmful, but your mileage may vary...

Along with the code, you must download the USMT5extras.zip archive and extract it to the same folder as the code.  Included are the USMT version 5 files, streams.exe, and the 7zip files needed to extract the USMT archives.  If for any reason you are not comfortable using the included streams.exe and would rather replace it with one you have downloaded yourself, please feel free:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897440.aspx

Ian

Edited by llewxam

My projects:

• 8 months later...

I have an update on this tool - I was unable to find a way to deal with the alternate data streams issue through command line or XML file modification, so ended up using Streams.exe to accomplish the goal.  Really not my preferred way of doing it, but as my company uses it, it is only ever used prior to a Windows reload, so ditching all alternate data stream data isn't a big deal.  However, for any users planning on using this as a means to create a backup but keeping the system as-is, PLEASE be aware of this!  I can't really think of any circumstance that it would be harmful, but your mileage may vary...

Along with the code, you must download the USMT5extras.zip archive and extract it to the same folder as the code.  Included are the USMT version 5 files, streams.exe, and the 7zip files needed to extract the USMT archives.  If for any reason you are not comfortable using the included streams.exe and would rather replace it with one you have downloaded yourself, please feel free:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897440.aspx

Extras:  www.llewxamnai.com/USMT5extras.zip

Ian

Hi - Have been looking for something like this for some time now! This is really cool... Have a question, I downloaded the original code and made a few mods to use custom XML but wanted to know if the USMT5extras posted above would be for the same code? Don't see any reference in the code for the new USMT files.

If $XPMode == True Then
        If @OSArch == "X86" Then
            FileInstall("USMT301x86.7z", @TempDir & "\USMT301x86.7z", 1)
            ShellExecuteWait(@TempDir & "\7z.exe", "e " & @TempDir & "\USMT301x86.7z", @TempDir & "\USMT")
        Else
            FileInstall("USMT301x64.7z", @TempDir & "\USMT301x64.7z", 1)
            ShellExecuteWait(@TempDir & "\7z.exe", "e " & @TempDir & "\USMT301x64.7z", @TempDir & "\USMT")
        EndIf
    Else
        If @OSArch == "X86" Then
            FileInstall("USMT401x86.7z", @TempDir & "\USMT401x86.7z", 1)
            ShellExecuteWait(@TempDir & "\7z.exe", "e " & @TempDir & "\USMT401x86.7z", @TempDir & "\USMT")
        Else
            FileInstall("USMT401x64.7z", @TempDir & "\USMT401x64.7z", 1)
            ShellExecuteWait(@TempDir & "\7z.exe", "e " & @TempDir & "\USMT401x64.7z", @TempDir & "\USMT")
        EndIf
    EndIf

rsviper - Thank you SO MUCH for pointing that out, I really goofed up!!  I don't know how, but when I posted the updated extras file above, I never actually updated the CODE!!!!!   :censored: 

Code is now updated in the first post of the thread.  Thanks again for pointing this out!!!

Ian

My projects:

rsviper - Thank you SO MUCH for pointing that out, I really goofed up!!  I don't know how, but when I posted the updated extras file above, I never actually updated the CODE!!!!!   :censored: 

Code is now updated in the first post of the thread.  Thanks again for pointing this out!!!

Ian

Just downloaded and looking good! Testing now and noticed it's collecting a lot more than just the user data.... Looking at the scanstate switches later to day in the code to see why....

User profile is only 250 mb and for some reason the tool backed up 1+gb of folders that may need to be excluded...

Yes, that is by design, and where the XML files come in to play.

There are 2 ways of looking at data backup - you either specify what you DO want beforehand (whitelist) and run the risk of missing something in a weird place, or you specify what you DON'T want beforehand (blacklist) and end up with data you don't care about.  Whitelisting scares me because some computer users of the little-old-lady variety don't know they shouldn't save their pictures in the root of their C drive, and frankly some techs don't think to look in odd places for important data and can miss things.  Blacklisting is good so you know all bases are covered.  Each backup I would run would consume more space than necessary on my fileserver, but hard drive space is cheap so I would take the extra space loss and just copy back what mattered.

You can of course set rules in the XML files which you already said you were doing, and I encourage that, FOR YOUR OWN USES.  But to play it safe when publishing this tool in the forum for users of all skill levels I felt it was best to leave them stock.

Ian

My projects:

Nice tool, I believe this will work for our school district.  I made my own using batch files, but batch files have their own issues.  I will be adding other features to fit our needs (we try to automate as much as possible).

- We connect to a NAS (for backup)

- make sure computer Model is one of the ones we support, make sure serial number exists (this is because of motherboard replacements, ConfigMgr doesn't work without BIOS being correct.)

- require a reboot if a user other than Administrator has logged in since the computer was on. (to make sure all user data is backed up)

- check to see if a backup has already been run today.

- move student profiles to a location that will not be backed up

- run USMT
   - rename and move the MIG file to the NAS, compare the backup files.

Do you have a previous version that would work with 3?  A version to transfer from XP to XP?  We are upgrading to Windows 7, but systematically.  If a machine dies we still install XP on it, until that location has been switched over.

Here is the deprecated version that includes both USMT3 and USMT4 to support XP - 7, but I caution against using the tool to try to migrate from XP to 7 in one fell swoop, at least not using the built-in Restore tool, I no longer even include that in my Front End due to too many issues in the past.  Using Easy Transfer to bring the MIG back to life is recommended.

The interface is similar but different in several ways but should make you happy.  You will also need to use the old extras file and extract all files to the script directory to compile:

EDIT - removed link to the old USMT extras file, and am out of space on the forum to post it here.....

Enjoy

Ian

USMTFE_XP.au3

Edited by llewxam

My projects:

We are currently using the 4.0 version for XP to 7.  Is there a reason you would recomend 5?  We use the Easy Transfer Tool when restoring in 7.

For XP to XP we will need to use 3.0 for obvious reasons and I will just ask the tech the destination OS when backing up.

Just curious - how do you make use of the tool.

For example - Run tool to backup, Copy MIG to a Network location, Deploy OS, Install additional software, Copy MIG to local computer, Restore data with MIG

Would you want the final version of the tool when it is completed?  It will have a few more features that we use in our district, including the option to choose what is the target OS.

In the first post there is a link to a WikiPedia article explaining the difference in the different USMT versions. As far as I remember, the different USMT versions correspond to which OS the RESTORE (loadstate) feature will work on, so 3 is needed to restore to XP. The benefit of using a higher version of USMT is so that it will properly save the data (savestate) on higher versions of Windows. The latest version of my script is using USMT5 for proper support of XP through 8 for saving the data.

As I have hit on in previous posts, I do not use the restore feature at all due to troubles in creating profiles with USMT3 and 4, a bug acknowledged by Microsoft which they claimed was fixed in USMT5, but I just feel better restoring the data manually. What I personally did, and still recommend, is manually creating the profiles and manually copying the data back over. Yes it is more labor-intensive, but for my uses (30ish Windows reloads per week in a break-fix computer shop where most computers only had 1 user profile) that was the best avenue. Using Easy Transfer would be the next best thing.

As for seeing your final version, by all means! Feel free to post it in this thread or start a new one, whichever you deem appropriate.

Ian

My projects: