Need help looping a script

I'm really new to AutoIt so I think this question will be very simple.

I'm trying to create a script that will run in the background on a dashboard, and when the dashboard throws a particular error the script will come into action and get rid of the error. I've got the meat of the script working, but it only works once. I need to have it run in the background all the time and always be looking for a certain window to become active, what's the easiest way to achieve this?

Have a look at While...WEnd in the Help File & WinActive() too. Also Welcome to the Forums. If you do have code it's always best to share as this makes the job of helping you that little bit easier :huh2:

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

I'm nervous to show you guys my code because It's probably all wrong or a bad way to do things...

I was actually just looking at the While...WEnd in the help file before and while posting this. I have no idea how to incorporate it into this script though...

Global $paused

close()

if Winactive("Microsoft Office Excel", "[Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle][Oracle]ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist") Then

call("close")

EndIf

while 1

sleep(2147483647)

WEnd

func close()

winactivate("Microsoft Office Excel", "[Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle][Oracle]ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist")

WinWaitActive("Microsoft Office Excel", "[Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle][Oracle]ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist", 3)

winclose("Microsoft Office Excel", "[Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle][Oracle]ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist")

winwaitclose("Microsoft Office Excel", "[Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle][Oracle]ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist", 3)

winactivate("Microsoft Office Excel", "[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed")

WinWaitActive("Microsoft Office Excel", "[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed", 3)

winclose("Microsoft Office Excel", "[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed")

winwaitclose("Microsoft Office Excel", "[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed", 3)

winactivate("Select Data Source")

winwaitactive("Select Data Source", "", 3)

controlcommand("Select Data Source", "", "Button3", "check", "")

winwaitclose("Select Data Source", "", 3)

EndFunc

When you post if you could use AutoIt tags

[/autoit] this makes the code a little easier to read. Secondly the Sleep that big will pause the Script for 24.8551348 days & I don't think the average user will keep their computer on for that long. Your best bet is look at this Example to get an idea of calling a Function properly (without Call()) and monitoring a windows existence.

[autoit]HotKeySet("{ESC}", "_Exit") ; Press ESC to Exit.

Run("Notepad.exe")

While 1
    _WindowMonitor() ; Call the Function to monitor Notepad.
    Sleep(250) ; 250ms the Script will pause, more like it!
WEnd

Func _WindowMonitor()
    If WinExists("[CLASS:Notepad]", "") Then
        ConsoleWrite("Notepad is Open" & @CRLF) ; Show if Notepad is Open.
    Else
        ConsoleWrite("Notepad is Closed" & @CRLF) ; Show if Notepad is Closed.
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_WindowMonitor

Func _Exit()
    Exit
EndFunc

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

after using While the way shown in your example I've gotten the script to work just like I wanted it to. Thank you so much! I leave the script sleeping for that long because this system is meant to be on 24/7, I may have it run a reboot once every 23 days to keep the script running forever. One question though, why do we have a 1 after While? That confuses me and my tiny brain.

1 is equivalent to the boolean True.

The statement means "while true" or basically loop forever.

EDIT: ok, that's not 100% accurate (since some may interpret that as 1 <=> True)

Basically, any non-zero integer values in autoit have a boolean value of "True".

Edited by Tsukihime

I though it was aslong as the value stays the same the while loop will run!

And 1 will always be 1, but $Variable could be anything.

I think you can write While 78213484645842825 but im not sure though.

Edit:

I just tried, it works!

You can even get away with:

While "Cake"
Edited by Maffe811

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Hobby graphics artist, using gimp.Automating pc stuff, using AutoIt.Listening to music, using Grooveshark.[/font]Scripts:[spoiler]Simple ScreenshotSaves you alot of trouble when taking a screenshot!Don't remember what happened with this, but aperantly the exe is all i got.If you don't want to run it, simply don't._IsRun UDFIt figures out if the script has ben ran before based on the info in a ini file.If you don't want to use exactly what i wrote, you can use it as inspiration.[/spoiler]

I tried it too. But the best practice is using 1 I believe.

While 2011
    Sleep(1000)
    ConsoleWrite("I'm Running!" & @CRLF)
WEnd
ConsoleWrite("I'm Not Running!" & @CRLF)

Global $iCount = 0

While $iCount < 10
    Sleep(250)
    ConsoleWrite("I'm Running!" & @CRLF)
    $iCount += 1
WEnd
ConsoleWrite("I'm Not Running!" & @CRLF)

UDF List:

Yes, you would just give yourself a tiny ammount of unnessesary work.

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Hobby graphics artist, using gimp.Automating pc stuff, using AutoIt.Listening to music, using Grooveshark.[/font]Scripts:[spoiler]Simple ScreenshotSaves you alot of trouble when taking a screenshot!Don't remember what happened with this, but aperantly the exe is all i got.If you don't want to run it, simply don't._IsRun UDFIt figures out if the script has ben ran before based on the info in a ini file.If you don't want to use exactly what i wrote, you can use it as inspiration.[/spoiler]