How do I replace a file name with something else?

I want to make a script that will ask for the dir to look in to rename the files in that folder. I would like to to keep the orginal name that it has but just replace a letter that is in it with something else. It could ask me what to replace and what to replace it with.

Ex - This.Is.The.File010305--

I would put in a . and ask to replace it with a space.

After - This Is The File010305--

Is this possible?

Use StringReplace() & FileMove().

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

#include <ButtonConstants.au3>
#include <EditConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

$Searchandreplace = GUICreate("Searchandreplace", 451, 201)
$dir = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 96, 24, 321, 21)
$replacethis = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 208, 80, 209, 21)
$Label1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Replace This:", 128, 80, 70, 17)
$Label2 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("With This:", 152, 128, 52, 17)
$replacewith = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 208, 128, 209, 21)
$Label3 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Directory:", 40, 24, 49, 17)
$Button1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Start", 344, 168, 75, 25)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

$newstring = StringReplace($dir, $replacethis, $replacewith)

While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
        Case $Button1
            FileMove($dir, $newstring)
            Exit

EndSwitch

WEnd

This is all I have at the moment, kinda stuck.

I don't know how to make it rename all the files in a directory.

Maybe I should try to make it where I just pick the files I want it to rename that would probably be better. Not sure if I even know how to do that though.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Edit: Changed code.

Edited by hitoshi

Do they all start with the same characters, just end with different numbers for instance? If so you can always use the command line to do it with a simple rename command like this

Run(@Comspec & '/c ren "This.Is.The.File*.*" "This Is The File*.*"')

Untested, but that's the command line command to do it in Windows.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I want to use it to change file names for.

Like the season 1 of NCIS I have all the files are like this:

NCIS.S01E01.HDTV.-LOL.[KLD]

NCIS.S01E02.HDTV.-LOL.[KLD]

NCIS.S01E03.HDTV.-LOL.[KLD]

ect.

I would like a script so that I could replace all the file names quickly to make it look like this.

NCIS S01E01

NCIS S01E02

NCIS S01E03

But I don't even know if its possible, I know that I can't seem to figure it out lol, but I don't really know what I'm doing.

Look up _FileListToArray() in the help file. you can create a For...Next loop and loop through the file names and do a stringreplace on all the names and then do a file move and move it to the same location.

example:

#include <file.au3>

$FullPath = "C:\files"

$aFiles = _FileListToArray ($FullPath, "*")

For $iFile = 1 To $afiles[0]
    $newname = StringReplace ($aFiles[$iFile], ".", " ")
    FileMove ($FullPath & "\" & $aFiles[$iFile], $FullPath & "\" & $newname)
Next

Note: Code is untested.

Edited by LurchMan

Dating a girl is just like writing software. Everything's going to work just fine in the testing lab (dating), but as soon as you have contract with a customer (marriage), then your program (life) is going to be facing new situations you never expected. You'll be forced to patch the code (admit you're wrong) and then the code (wife) will just end up all bloated and unmaintainable in the end.

Thank you LurchMan for that code.

It does work but there is a problem.

It removes the . at the end of the file to make it an file.avi so is there anyway to get around that?

As long as they are always avi files this will work

#include <file.au3>

$FullPath = "C:\files"

$aFiles = _FileListToArray ($FullPath, "*")

For $iFile = 1 To $afiles[0]
    $newname = StringReplace ($aFiles[$iFile], ".", " ")
    FileMove ($FullPath & "\" & $aFiles[$iFile], $FullPath & "\" & StringTrimRight($newname, 3) & ".avi")
Next

Once again untested.

Dating a girl is just like writing software. Everything's going to work just fine in the testing lab (dating), but as soon as you have contract with a customer (marriage), then your program (life) is going to be facing new situations you never expected. You'll be forced to patch the code (admit you're wrong) and then the code (wife) will just end up all bloated and unmaintainable in the end.