Can AutiIt do what I want?

Yes it will work.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

PS. How do you paste in the nice formatted colour version form the editor?

Click on the blue icon with the AutoIt 'A'.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

You can use an If...ElseIf...EndIf or even a simple If...Else...EndIf, but it's been known* that Switch...EndSwitch statements are faster than an If...ElseIf...EndIf statement.

* = on occasions.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Success! I compiled it for x86 and it now works on both x64 and x86 machines.

I had to struggle a little with debugging the function as it tested for X32 instead of X86. Here is the corrected version:

Func _ProgramFilesDir()
    Local $sProgramFileDir
    Switch @OSArch
        Case "X64"
            $sProgramFileDir = EnvGet("PROGRAMFILES(X86)")
        Case "X86"
            $sProgramFileDir = EnvGet("PROGRAMFILES")
    EndSwitch
    Return $sProgramFileDir
EndFunc   ;==>_ProgramFilesDir

As you can see I also now know how to paste in the code properly.

I only have one remaining problem. If I wave the mouse around when the script is running it fails, because my hand on the mouse is stronger than the program's (metaphorically), so the mouse pointer is in the wrong position when it clicks. I set the last parameter of MouseClick to 5, as otherwise it wasn't waiting long enough after the window began to appear, on a slower machine. Is there some way to make its grip on the mouse stronger, so to speak?

I'm thinking I should set all three mouse delay options to zero, and the last MouseClick parameter to zero, and instead insert a fixed delay between the WinWait and the MouseClick?

Would this work? I'm sure I'm not the first person to hit this issue.

Is there a command to simply do nothing for x milliseconds? I can't immediately see one?

I'm hugely impressed by AutoIt and wish I had come across it before. I remember using WinBatch long ago and finding it frustrating. I'm amazed by the ability to complie and make tiny standalone programs one can use easily across machines. Thanks for all the help.

Don't know why I put X32, changed my example to use the correct value of X86.

UDF List:

You're discovering only a very tiny part of AutoIt power.

Lookup Sleep() in the help file (which should now become your first best friend just before Google).

I didn't follow the thread but probably a clever use of BlockInput() would help you place the cursor exactly where you need it to land.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

You're discovering only a very tiny part of AutoIt power.

Lookup Sleep() in the help file (which should now become your first best friend just before Google).

I didn't follow the thread but probably a clever use of BlockInput() would help you place the cursor exactly where you need it to land.

I tried BlockInput around the MouseClick but it didn't stop me being able to make it fail.

I used:

BlockInput(1)
  MouseClick("primary",420,132,1,5) ; Click on OK
  BlockInput(0)

You may need #RequireAdmin for it to work.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

I've resorted to a brute force solution, where it keeps trying to grab the mouse until it succeeds. This is a far from elegant solution, so please let me know if there is a better way.

; Respond automatically to two windows.
Opt("TrayIconHide", 1) ; Hide the icon
Opt("MouseCoordMode", 0) ; Window coordinate mode
Opt("MouseClickDelay", 0)     ; Wait only 0 instead of 10 ms between clicks
Opt("MouseClickDownDelay", 0)  ; Hold down only 0 instead of 10ms
Opt("MouseClickDragDelay", 0) ; Wait only 0 instead of 250 ms at start and end
Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 3)  ;1=start, 2=subStr, 3=exact, 4=advanced, -1 to -4=Nocase
Func _ProgramFilesDir() ; Return C:Program Files or C:Program Files (x86)
    Local $sProgramFileDir
    Switch @OSArch
        Case "X64"
            $sProgramFileDir = EnvGet("PROGRAMFILES(X86)")
        Case "X86"
            $sProgramFileDir = EnvGet("PROGRAMFILES")
    EndSwitch
    Return $sProgramFileDir
EndFunc   ;==>_ProgramFilesDir
Run(_ProgramFilesDir() & "foldernameprogname.exe") ; Run the program
$Wintitle1='Title 1'
$Wintitle2='Title 2'
$Win1seen=0 ; Window 1 has not yet been seen
For $Loop=1 to 3000 ; 30 seconds total in case program slow to load
If WinExists($Wintitle1) Then
  $Win1seen=1
  If WinExists($Wintitle2) Then
   WinActivate($Wintitle2)
   MouseClick("primary",420,132,1,0) ; Click on window 2
  Else
   WinActivate($Wintitle1)
   MouseClick("primary",435,117,1,0) ; Click on window 1
  EndIf
Else
  If $Win1seen=1 Then ExitLoop ; Window 1 was seen and has now gone, so we have finished
EndIf
Sleep(10)
Next
Exit

Is there really no way to get MouseClick to work reliably, i.e. even if the mouse gets knocked by the user?

BlockInput only works if you use #RequireAdmin, and using that forces a window to appear asking permission, which completely defeats the aim of my script - to automatically respond to annoying windows that appear.

From what you have described so far, it would appear that you need to use controlClick() rather than MouseCick() ControlClick() is pretty much immune form user interference. A picture of the window you indicating where you want to click would help us to help you.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

From what you have described so far, it would appear that you need to use controlClick() rather than MouseCick() ControlClick() is pretty much immune form user interference. A picture of the window you indicating where you want to click would help us to help you.

Many thanks, that was the solution. I didn't know about ControlClick, I only learned of the existence of AutoIt yesterday and the example I was shown used MouseClick.

It was easy to use the AutoIt Window Info program to find the ID number of the control and it now works very quickly and perfectly every time.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Panic over - I've got it working at last. It was a quirk in UAC.

I have found that the UAC seems to be sensitive to the name given to the executable. Now I have given it a name which is different to any other, it is happy to let it run. When it was the same name as another executable elsewhere, it wanted to get my permission. I had never come across this before.