[SOLVED] Improving PCRE knowledge, parsing HOSTS file for hostnames.

Argh I didn't test all cases (I was expecting something like this).

Should work better with this one:

Local $aArray = StringRegExp($sData, "(?im)G(?:(?:s*#.*$s*)*|(?:s*)*)*(?:|(?:d{1,3}.){3}d{1,3}s+)([[:alpha:]][w.-/]{2,})s*", 3)

Seem to work reliably with all tests cases submited.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jchd,

The current SRE in post #21 still didn't produce any results. Here's an example of a stripped downed HOSTS file I use.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Isn't there supposed to be a space between the IP addresses and the URL? Does that host file work written like that?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Does that host file work written like that?

Yes. 127.0.0.1 is the address where as the other numbers are part of the hostname, the google was changed from another site as I use my HOSTS file to block malicious websites. Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Odd, never seen one that looked like that before. Learned something new today. ;)

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I changed my reply above.

UDF List:

As the first non-whitespace group of a non-comment line is required to be the forwarding IP, I wouldn't think it necessary to be looking for groups of decimal characters. I think these 3 lines correctly parse a HOSTS file. I am having trouble massaging them all into one statement...

$sData = StringRegExpReplace($sData, '#.*', '')  ; strip comments
    $sData = StringRegExpReplace($sData, '(?m)^s*S*', '') ; strip IP
    Local $aArray = StringRegExp('0 ' & $sData, '[S*]+', 3) ; split words
Edited by Spiff59

As the first non-whitespace group of a non-comment line is required to be the forwarding IP, I wouldn't think it necessary to be looking for groups of decimal characters. I think these 3 lines correctly parse a HOSTS file. I am having trouble massaging them all into one statement...

$sData = StringRegExpReplace($sData, '#.*', '')  ; strip comments
    $sData = StringRegExpReplace($sData, '(?m)^s*S*', '') ; strip IP
    Local $aArray = StringRegExp('0 ' & $sData, '[S*]+', 3) ; split words

Produces the same results as my SRE, nice.

Let's hope it can be done with one SRE, I will try to decipher jchd's

I like threads like this, as I already had the answer but have come to understand there are many ways to achieve the same result. Thanks to all who have posted so far.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Can you try this?:

#include <array.au3>

$sHosts = _
'# Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.' & @CRLF & _
'#' & @CRLF & _
'# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.' & @CRLF & _
'#' & @CRLF & _
'# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each' & @CRLF & _
'# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should' & @CRLF & _
'# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.' & @CRLF & _
'# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one' & @CRLF & _
'# space.' & @CRLF & _
'#' & @CRLF & _
'# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual' & @CRLF & _
'# lines or following the machine name denoted by a "#" symbol.' & @CRLF & _
'#' & @CRLF & _
'# For example:' & @CRLF & _
'#' & @CRLF & _
'#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server' & @CRLF & _
'#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host' & @CRLF & _
'127.0.0.1       localhost  #current host' & @CRLF & _
'10.10.10.10 nirvana.somewhere-test.com' & @CRLF & _
'127.0.0.1 08.185.87.03.google.com  08.185.87.04.google.com  08.185.87.05.google.com  08.185.87.06.google.com  08.185.87.07.google.com  08.185.87.08.google.com  08.185.87.09.google.com  08.185.87.1.google.com 08.185.87.10.google.com' & @CRLF & _
 '                          20.20.20.20                                   www.text.com www.test.com www.example.com #dummy' & @CRLF & _
'10.10.10.20 test'

$aFilterHosts = StringRegExp(StringRegExpReplace($sHosts, "(?m:)(#.*)", ""), "s*d+.d+.d+.d{1,3}s*(.*)", 3)
_ArrayDisplay($aFilterHosts)

Btw, what about IPv6 entries?

Br,

UEZ

Edited by UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

UEZ,

Try my Example and you'll see what is expected, your SRE is stripping comments but it's not separating hostnames into individual elements..

UDF List:

Ahh, ok! Got it now!

But my Hosts example is not working with your code from post#1.

Br,

UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

It is for me, I get an array with 15 hostnames.

Edit: This is correct as I didn't account for space between the forwarding address at the beginning. It was showing 16 when it should have been 15. Fixed, see below and first post too.

#include <Array.au3> ; For _ArrayDisplay.

Example()

Func Example()
    Local $sData = '# Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.' & @CRLF & _
            '#' & @CRLF & _
            '# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.' & @CRLF & _
            '#' & @CRLF & _
            '# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each' & @CRLF & _
            '# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should' & @CRLF & _
            '# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.' & @CRLF & _
            '# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one' & @CRLF & _
            '# space.' & @CRLF & _
            '#' & @CRLF & _
            '# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual' & @CRLF & _
            '# lines or following the machine name denoted by a "#" symbol.' & @CRLF & _
            '#' & @CRLF & _
            '# For example:' & @CRLF & _
            '#' & @CRLF & _
            '#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server' & @CRLF & _
            '#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host' & @CRLF & _
            '127.0.0.1       localhost  #current host' & @CRLF & _
            '10.10.10.10 nirvana.somewhere-test.com' & @CRLF & _
            '127.0.0.1 08.185.87.03.google.com  08.185.87.04.google.com  08.185.87.05.google.com  08.185.87.06.google.com  08.185.87.07.google.com  08.185.87.08.google.com  08.185.87.09.google.com  08.185.87.1.google.com 08.185.87.10.google.com' & @CRLF & _
            '                          20.20.20.20                                   www.text.com www.test.com www.example.com #dummy' & @CRLF & _
            '10.10.10.20 test'

; Strip comments e.g. # This is a single comment. #
    $sData = StringRegExpReplace($sData, '#.*', '')

; Strip forwarding IP address e.g. 127.0.0.1
    $sData = StringRegExpReplace($sData, '(?m)^s*(?:d{1,3}.){3}d{1,3}', '')

; Parse HOSTS file to create an array with the hostnames in the file.
    Local $aArray = StringRegExp(' HOSTS_Count ' & $sData, '(?:[w.-/]{3,})', 3) ; Past ideas: '((?:d{1,3}.){3}d{1,3})s+(.*?)rn' ... '((?:[w-]*.+)+[w-]*)'
    If @error Then
        MsgBox(4096, '', 'An error occurred when parsing the HOSTS file.')
    Else
        ; Replace the 0th element with the number of items in the array.
        $aArray[0] = UBound($aArray, 1) - 1

; Ask whether or not to display the array using _ArrayDisplay, can be slow depending on how large your HOSTS file is.
        If MsgBox(4 + 4096, '', 'Would you like to display the Array? (Could be slow depending on how large you HOSTS file is.)') = 6 Then
            _ArrayDisplay($aArray)
        EndIf
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>Example
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I now get it: you want to handle direct hosts with IP too!

That can be cured as well:

#include <Array.au3> ; For _ArrayDisplay.
Example()
Func Example()
    Local $sData = FileRead(@SystemDir & 'driversetcHOSTS')
    ; Parse HOSTS file to create an array with the hostnames in the file.
Local $aArray = StringRegExp($sData, "(?im)G(?:(?:s*#.*$s*)*|(?:s*)*)*(?:|(?:d{1,3}.){3}d{1,3}s+)((?:(?:d{1,3}.){3}d{1,3}.)?[[:alpha:]][w.-/]{2,})s*", 3)
    If @error Then
        MsgBox(4096, '', 'An error ' & @error & ' occurred when parsing the HOSTS file.')
    Else
        _ArrayDisplay($aArray)
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>Example

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Here my version stealing a part from jchd's regex: ;)

$aFilterHosts = StringRegExp(StringRegExpReplace($sHosts, "(?m:)(#.*)", ""), "(?m:)((?:(?:d{1,3}.){3}d{1,3}.)?[[:alpha:]][w.-/]{2,})s*", 3)
_ArrayDisplay($aFilterHosts)

Br,

UEZ

Edited by UEZ

Hi UEZ,

You're spoiling all the fun, not by borrowing or even stealing anything, but by plain cheating and making a two-line one-liner out of it ;)

Of course I'm well aware that systematically going into depths to achieve a task with only a single RE isn't good practice. Good code mostly demands easy flowing instructions, easy to understand and to maintain.

My purpose was merely to try to answer guinness initial question, albeit whether my proposal is any improvement in practical code is debatable. This is a somehow similar (but vastly simpler) situation to when J. Friedl makes a single RE to check an email address validity (but only at the format level), resulting in either 6598- or 4724-chars REs (in the first edition of his Mastering... book, don't know for subsequent editions). Of course it isn't practical nor good code at any rate.

BTW you have an extraneous invalid space at

... (? :(?: ...
Edited by jchd

Hi UEZ,

You're spoiling all the fun, not by borrowing or even stealing anything, but by plain cheating and making a two-line one-liner out of it ;)

Of course I'm well aware that systematically going into depths to achieve a task with only a single RE isn't good practice. Good code mostly demands easy flowing instructions, easy to understand and to maintain.

My purpose was merely to try to answer guinness initial question, albeit whether my proposal is any improvement in practical code is debatable. This is a somehow similar (but vastly simpler) situation to when J. Friedl makes a single RE to check an email address validity (but only at the format level), resulting in either 6598- or 4724-chars REs (in the first edition of his Mastering... book, don't know for subsequent editions). Of course it isn't practical nor good code at any rate.

BTW you have an extraneous invalid space at

... (? :(?: ...

It is not a 2 liner but rather using more than 1 time StringRegExp() / StringRegExpReplace (concatenation of commands)! Further I'm novice in regex and want to improve it.

Thanks for the regex lession! :)

Br,

UEZ

Edited by UEZ

I was joking of course.

Don't give a dam, we're all noobs in regeps, certainly compared to some crazy stuff you find here and there!

Don't see any lesson here, call it experimentation.

I use the HOSTS file to block malicious sites by using custom HOSTS file found on the internet.

The SREs by jchd and UEZ are not parsing all types of hostnames. If you want I can send you both the HOSTS file via pm due to the nature of the content and you can compare with what mine parses and yours.

UDF List:

Yes, let's see how far we can push that. You seem to have a pretty good idea about how all that may look like, so go ahead.