StdinWrite and StdoutRead question

Nunos

I am trying to make an input box pop up and ask for a user to enter a url and then pass that to nslookup and read the results that come back and display them. The most recent version is below but I can not get the thing to exit and I am not getting all of the expected returned results. Not sure where I messed this up but if someone will teach me what I did wrong I would appreciate it.

#include 

$NSLookupURL = InputBox("NSLookup", "Enter the URL to perform the Name Server Lookup on.", "www.bing.com")
Local $nslookup = Run(@ComSpec & " /c nslookup", @SystemDir, @SW_HIDE, $STDIN_CHILD + $STDERR_MERGED)

StdinWrite($nslookup,$NSLookupURL)
Local $line
While 1
$line = StdoutRead($nslookup)
If @error Then ExitLoop
MsgBox(0, "STDOUT read:", $line)
WEnd

While 1
$line = StderrRead($nslookup)
If @error Then ExitLoop
MsgBox(0, "STDERR read:", $line)
WEnd

MsgBox(0, "Debug", "Exiting...")

This code works for me:

#include <Constants.au3>
$NSLookupURL = InputBox("NSLookup", "Enter the URL to perform the Name Server Lookup on.", "www.bing.com")
Local $pid = Run(@ComSpec & " /c nslookup " & $NSLookupURL, @SystemDir, @SW_HIDE, $STDIN_CHILD + $STDOUT_CHILD + $STDERR_CHILD)
If @error Then Exit MsgBox(0, "Error", "Error " & @error & " occurred when running NSLOOKUP")
StdinWrite($pid, @CRLF)
StdinWrite($pid)
; STDOUT
$sSTDOUT = ""
While 1
    $sOutput = StdoutRead($pid)
    If @error Then ExitLoop
    If $sOutput <> "" Then $sSTDOUT = $sSTDOUT & @CRLF & $sOutput
WEnd
; STDERR
$sSTDERR = ""
While 1
    $sOutput = StderrRead($pid)
    If @error Then ExitLoop
    If $sOutput <> "" Then $sSTDERR = $sSTDERR & @CRLF & $sOutput
WEnd
ConsoleWrite("STDOut: " & $sSTDOUT & @LF)
ConsoleWrite("STDErr: " & $sSTDERR & @LF)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I'd do it this way myself.

#include <Constants.au3>
Global $OutLine = ""

Local $nslookup = Run(@ComSpec & " /c nslookup", @SystemDir, @SW_HIDE, $STDIN_CHILD + $STDERR_MERGED)
Sleep(1000) ; Just in case it needs time to start up
StdinWrite($nslookup, $NSLookupURL & @CRLF) ; Needs the enter key hit before it will process what's on the line
Local $line
StdinWrite($nslookup) ; Close the stream so it reads what you've sent to it.
While 1
    $line = StdoutRead($nslookup)
    If @error Then ExitLoop
    $OutLine &= $line 
WEnd
MsgBox(64, "", $OutLine) ; one message box rather than 100's
$OutLine = ""
While 1
    $line = StderrRead($nslookup)
    If @error Then ExitLoop
    $OutLine &= $line
WEnd
MsgBox(64, "", $OutLine)

MsgBox(0, "Debug", "Exiting...")

I'm not sure your StdInWrite would work for this command, because you never close the stream or send the Enter key after the data.

Edited by BrewManNH

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Glad to be of service :D

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Sorry to bring this back up again but I was wondering if there is a way to have a user Copy/Paste the results from the msgbox? I thought if I made it Modal they could copy and paste the results into a chat window but I couldn't. Would I need to get the output into something like a GUI window or something else?