Problem exporting to Excel if another book is open while exporting

If I want to export data to Excel and I use _ExcelBookOpen() or _ExcelBookNew() I cannot open any Excel books or the script will write to the book that was opened.

Here's an example (part of my script) that does not give any errors unless you close the excel books that where opened by the ShellExecute("C:\_Excel1.xls")

Plus the _ExcelBookOpen/New() is no longer invisible.

The reason why I use the ShellExecute is tu simulate someone that would open an Excel book.

This is the error that I get when the _Excel1.xls is closed while the script is till running:

Any help will be appreciated.

C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Include\Excel.au3 (456) : ==> The requested action with this object has failed.:

$oExcel.Activesheet.Cells($sRangeOrRow, $iColumn).Value = $sValue

$oExcel.Activesheet.Cells($sRangeOrRow, $iColumn).Value = $sValue^ ERROR

OR

C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Include\Excel.au3 (456) : ==> The requested action with this object has failed.:

$oExcel.Activesheet.Cells($sRangeOrRow, $iColumn).Value = $sValue

$oExcel.Activesheet^ ERROR

+======================================================

err.number is: -2147418111

err.windescription: Call was rejected by callee.

err.description is: err.source is:

err.helpfile is:

err.helpcontext is: 7209065

err.lastdllerror is: 0

err.scriptline is: 456

err.retcode is: 6619248

+======================================================

#include <Excel.au3>
_Sample1()

MsgBox(0, '#2', 'Sample 2', 3)

_Sample2()

Func _Sample1()

$excel = _ExcelBookOpen('C:\OpenFile.xlsx', 0); blank file for the test -- stops witing on row 300

For $x = 0 To 1000
_ExcelWriteCell($excel, $x, $x, 1)
_ExcelWriteCell($excel, 1000 - $x, $x, 2)
_ExcelWriteCell($excel, $x * 2, $x, 3)
If $x = 100 Then ShellExecute("Excel.exe"); blank file for the test -- nothing is writen
If $x = 300 Then ShellExecute("C:\_Excel1.xls"); blank file for the test -- starts witing on row 301
Next

_ExcelBookSave($excel)

EndFunc ;==>_Sample1

Func _Sample2()

$excel = _ExcelBookNew(0); stops witing on row 600

For $x = 0 To 1000
_ExcelWriteCell($excel, $x, $x, 1)
_ExcelWriteCell($excel, 1000 - $x, $x, 2)
_ExcelWriteCell($excel, $x * 2, $x, 3)
If $x = 100 Then ShellExecute("Excel.exe"); blank file for the test -- nothing is writen
If $x = 600 Then ShellExecute("C:\_Excel1.xls"); blank file for the test -- starts witing on row 601
Next

_ExcelBookSaveAs($excel, 'C:\NewFile.xlsx', "xlsx", 0, 1)

EndFunc ;==>_Sample2

There appears to be an issue in _ExcelWriteCell, it doesn't appear to be using the object passed to the function, but writes to the ActiveSheet.Cells instead.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I've already stated in the last thread where you posted this question that the Excel UDF always works with the ActiveSheet and this causes the problem.

You can either use the workbooks in sequence, do the Excel COM coding yourself. The rewrite of the Excel UDF I'm doing at the moment could be another alternative but it is in an early alpha state.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

simple script...requires the 2 books to be present, and open

$oExcel = _ExcelBookAttach(@DesktopDir & "\Book1.xlsx")
$oExcel2 = _ExcelBookAttach(@DesktopDir & "\Book2.xlsx")
For $i = 1 To 10
 $oExcel.Sheets("Sheet1").cells($i,1).Value = $i & "something"
 $oExcel2.Sheets("Sheet1").cells($i,1).Value = $i & "somethingelse"
Next
Sleep(2000)
For $i = 1 To 10
 $oExcel2.Sheets("Sheet1").cells($i,1).Value = $oExcel.Sheets("Sheet1").cells($i,1).Value & " New"
Next
Sleep(2000)
For $i = 1 To 10
 $oExcel.Sheets("Sheet1").cells($i,1).Value = $oExcel2.Sheets("Sheet1").cells($i,1).Value & " Again"
Next
Edited by jdelaney
IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.