Sign in to follow this  
richietheprogrammer

Outlook Template automation

richietheprogrammer

Hello, I am trying to open an Outlook template, edit the contents depending on user input, and then generate a message with the updated information. So far, I have been able to take care of everything except editing the html in the body (Thanks to Waters and the useful UDF). Basically, the body is html (edited and formatted) and I cannot find a way to edit it properly. So if the body in the template says "Hello, John" and the user chooses the name to be "George", I would like to replace it accordingly. What would be the best approach to doing so? Any help is greatly appreciated.

richietheprogrammer

Found a way around it. I saved the outlook template source (html) to a text file, and used find/replace to edit that text file then read it and display it, for lack of better ways :)

water

If you use my UDF you simply would read the HTMLBody property of the mail item to a variable by using function _OL_ItemGet. Make the necessary modifications to the variable and then set the property by using function _OL_ItemModify.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2018-06-01 - Version 1.4.9.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (2018-01-27 - Version 1.3.3.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
PowerPoint (2015-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

richietheprogrammer

I tried going about it that way, but I could not get it to work. Could you give me an example? Thanks!

water

Example 5 in _OL_ItemCreate.au3 example script shows how to create a mail item from a template.

Use the returned item object to call _OL_ItemGet, change the HTML body and set the property again:

$aProperties = _OL_ItemGet($oOL, $oItem, Default, "HTMLBody")
$sHTMLBody = $aProperties[1][1]
$sHTMLBody = "Modify the HTMP Body here"
_OL_ItemModify($oOL, $oItem, Default, "HTMLBody=" & $sHTMLBody)
Untested and error checking is missing!

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2018-06-01 - Version 1.4.9.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (2018-01-27 - Version 1.3.3.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
PowerPoint (2015-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki