Acrobat Reader Operations in the Background

Dear all,

I am using the Autoit to encrypt PDF files. I would like to open several pdf files one by one, encrypt them and save in another folder. I would like to limit the user actions during these operations. I have tried the method,

BlockInput(1)

but in this case, I cannot access to the acrobat reader menu by sending commands as the inputs are blocked. What can be an alternative in this case either to avoid user interaction or run this process in background? Can you provide me examples? Here is my code that basically opens a pdf file and saves in another folder.

O.S. : Windows XP Professional X64

Adobe Acrobat Reader X 10.0 Professional

Autoit: 3.3.8.0

#cs
Define Environment
#ce
;Debugingmodus wird aktiviert
AutoItSetOption("TrayIconDebug",1)
$acrobatPfad= "C:\Program Files\\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe"

$d = 500 ;Delay between commands
$filepath = "Z:\2013\01_PDF_Schutz\Testdaten"
$file = "262000_____0000.pdf"
$fileopen = $filepath & "\" & $file
#cs
Start Acrobat Reader with file
#ce
$title = $file & " - Adobe Reader"
$handle = WinGetHandle("[CLASS:AcrobatSDIWindow]", "")
Run($acrobatPfad & " " & $fileopen)
sleep($d)
WinWaitActive($title)
Sleep($d)
Send("{ALT}")
Sleep($d)
Send("{DOWN}")
Sleep($d)
Send("{DOWN}")
Sleep($d)
Send("{DOWN}")
Sleep($d)
Send("{ENTER}")
Sleep($d)
Send($file & "_active.pdf")
Sleep($d)
Send("{ENTER}")
Sleep($d)
ProcessClose("AutoIt3.exe")

A few remarks.

• Please wrap your script in [autoit][/autoit] tags. Enhances readability!
  • Don't use Send use Control* functions
  • Don't use Sleep after the run statement. Wait for the Window to pop up (WinWait)
  • Remove ProcessClose. "Exit" is enough.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Dear Water,

thank you for your remarks. I have updated my code depending on your remarks as follows:

#cs
Define Environment
#ce
;Debugingmodus wird aktiviert

AutoItSetOption("TrayIconDebug",1)

$acrobatPfad = "C:\Program Files\\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe"

Opt("SendKeyDelay", 500) ;5 milliseconds

$filepath = "Z:\01_PDF_Schutz\Testdaten"
$file = "62000_____0000.pdf"
$fileopen = $filepath & "\" & $file

BlockInput(1)

#cs
Start Acrobat Reader X with file
#ce

$title = $file & " - Adobe Reader"
$handle = WinGetHandle("[CLASS:AcrobatSDIWindow]", "")

Run($acrobatPfad & " " & $fileopen)
WinWaitActive($title)

ControlSend($title,"","","{ALT}")
ControlSend($title,"","","{DOWN 3}")
ControlSend("[CLASS:AcrobatSDIWindow]","","","{ENTER}")
ControlSetText("[CLASS:AcrobatSDIWindow]","","",$file & "_active.pdf")
ControlSend("[CLASS:AcrobatSDIWindow]","","","{ENTER}")

BlockInput(0)

Exit

I have the problem that when I use the blockinput, the commands that I sent to acrobat reader starting with "alt" command are not any more executed. Without blockinput works correctly. What can be the problem in this case? (I use windows xp professional sp2)

Try to remove BlockInput. Shouldn't be necessary any more. Only Send statements can interfere with user input.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Dear Water,

I want to avoid the user interruption during the script execution. I have thought two possibilities, one to use block input and the second to start the acrobat reader either in minimized version or hide it as here.

Run($acrobatPfad & " " & $fileopen, @SW_HIDE)

The block input function didn't worked correctly, after sending the "alt" command it is stoped. While running in "hide" mode, I didn't get any reaction after running the script. What would you recommend in this case?

Which command (encrypt PDF files) do you try to automate? I can't find anything about encryption?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I am doing the encryption (setting password) using the menu operations of the Acrobat Reader. I start the acrobat reader and select the related menu where you can setup a password and then save the file.  

Where in Reader are you able to set a password? Are you sure you don't need Adobe Acrobat for that? Reader is just for reading PDFs.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Well, your script is looking for the Reader window, not the Acrobat window, which is probably most of the issue you're having.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

Not to mention you have several times stated you were trying to do this in Acrobat reader. Not exactly helping us help you :)

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

• Moderators

As has been pointed out though, Acrobat Reader cannot do what Acrobat can - so your script is never going to work the same in both places. Are you trying to encrypt them at work, and then open them and input the password at home?

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

I am working on setting the keyword at work with the professional version. For me the problem is to perform acrobat menu actions while acrobat is running in either hidden or minized mode. For this reason I try with acrobat reader more basic operations like opening a file and saving it to a location with another name. Currently I am trying to use the "WinMenuSelectItem" function to send file open command to the acrobat reader and couldn't manage. What can be the reason for that? (I tried with acrobat reader 9)

Run($acrobatPath)
WinWait("Acrobat Reader")
WinMenuSelectItem("Acrobat Reader", "", "&File", "&Open...")

I don't believe that Reader menus will work with that command, you might try doing a ControlSend to the window with the shortcut key that Reader/Acrobat uses. I did this to fire off the File/Open menu item.

ControlSend("Adobe Reader", "", "", "^o")

Yes, using the control send there is no problem, thanks. I have another question, when I start the acrobat reader in the hidden or minimized mode and send the file open command, acrobat reader becomes visible with the "Open" window activated. I have tried to hide the open file window but it doesn't work.

WinWait("[TITLE:Öffnen]", "", 10)

WinSetState("[TITLE:Öffnen]", "",  @SW_HIDE)

Unfortunatly the menu items can only be grabbed on the first level (file, help, etc)...the menu's under them hide all information.  I was playing around with the _GuiCtrlMenu functions...

$hwnd = WinGetHandle("[CLASS:AcrobatSDIWindow]")
WinActivate($hwnd)
$hMenu = _GUICtrlMenu_GetMenu($hwnd)
$iFile = _GUICtrlMenu_FindItem($hMenu, "File")
$hFileMenu = _GUICtrlMenu_GetItemSubMenu($hMenu, $iFile)
For $i = 0 To _GUICtrlMenu_GetItemCount($hMenu) - 1
    ConsoleWrite(_GUICtrlMenu_GetItemText($hMenu,$i) & " " & @error & @CRLF)
Next

ConsoleWrite($hFileMenu & @CRLF)
For $i = 0 To _GUICtrlMenu_GetItemCount($hFileMenu) - 1
    ConsoleWrite(_GUICtrlMenu_GetItemText($hFileMenu,$i, True) & " " & @error & @CRLF)
Next

output:

&File 0
&Edit 0
&View 0
&Window 0
&Help 0
0x0F760E03

IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.