OutlookEX - Your Digital ID name cannot be found by the underlying security system.

Hello,

I wrote a script to go through my email using _OL_ItemFind().  It has been working fine up to today.  I do not recieve any errors when connecting using _OL_Open(), but when I try to search through my inbox using  _OL_ItemFind() an error message comes up.

COM Error Encountered in New AutoIt v3 Script.au3
OutlookEx UDF version = 0.9.0
@AutoItVersion = 3.3.8.1
@AutoItX64 = 0
@Compiled = 0
@OSArch = X64
@OSVersion = WIN_7
Scriptline = 2673
NumberHex = 80020009
Number = -2147352567
WinDescription =
Description = Your Digital ID name cannot be found by the underlying security system.
Source = Microsoft Outlook
HelpFile =
HelpContext = 0
LastDllError = 0

My code looks like

Global $oOL = _OL_Open()
;~ MsgBox(0,"error","Errory is " & @error & @CRLF & "extended is " & @extended)
Global $aItmes = _OL_ItemFind($oOL, "*Inbox", $olMail, "", "", "", "Subject,Body,CreationTime,EntryID", "", 2)
_ArrayDisplay($aItmes)

_OL_Close($oOL)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Looks like you've got a digitally signed mail. When Outlook tries to access the properties of the mail the error is raised.

Can you remove this mail or do you need a solution to process signed mails as well?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Hi Water,

A solution to process the signed mails would be best for a long term solution.  I receive a mix of signed and unsigned emails.  For the script I'm currently working on, I'll move the non digitally signed emails into a seperate folder and go from there.

Thanks for the help,

Chet

When running AutoIt 3.3.8.1 you can activate the COM error handler (_OL_ErrorNotify) so the script doesn't crash anymore.

Can you check if the returned array is correct then?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• 4 months later...

Hi Water,

Sorry for taking so long to reply.  I set _OL_ErrorNotify to zero and received the following error.

E:AutoIT ScriptsOutlookIncludesOutlookEX.au3 (2673) : ==> The requested action with this object has failed.:

$aItems[$iCounter][$iIndex - 1] = $oItem.ItemProperties.Item($aReturnProperties[$iIndex]).value

$aItems[$iCounter][$iIndex - 1] = $oItem.ItemProperties^ ERROR

Global $oOL = _OL_Open()

_OL_ErrorNotify(0)

Global $aItmes = _OL_ItemFind($oOL, "*Inbox", $olMail, "", "", "", "Subject,Body,CreationTime,EntryID", "", 2)

_ArrayDisplay($aItmes)

_OL_Close($oOL)

I did some more testing and I was able to have the correct array returned.  I have a physical PKI device/cert and once I authenticated by opening up a signed email, the correct array was returned.  I also tried setting _OL_ErrorNotify to 1 and the correct array was returned.

Do you know of a way to have outlook/exchange force me to authenticate with my physical cert before running anything like _OL_ItemFind?

Thanks again,

Chet

Can you test with version 0.10.0.0 of the OutlookEX UDF?

This version lets you set _OL_ErrorNotify(4) which means: Enables debugging but creates no output

Do you know of a way to have outlook/exchange force me to authenticate with my physical cert ...

Not that I know of.

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I've updated to 0.10.0.0 of the OutlookEX UDF.  I'm still not having any luck.  The error message did change though.  I've attached the Outlook_Debug.txt file. 

Global $oOL = _OL_Open()
_OL_ErrorNotify(3)
Global $aItmes = _OL_ItemFind($oOL, "*\Inbox", $olMail, "", "", "", "Subject,Body,CreationTime,EntryID", "", 3)
Global $astore = _OL_StoreGet($oOL)
_ArrayDisplay($aItmes, "get items")
_ArrayDisplay($astore, "get store")
;~ ConsoleWrite($astore[1][7] & @CRLF)
_OL_Close($oOL)

I am able to enumerate the data stores, but not the email.

Not that I know of.

I didn't think so, but asking never hurts. 

Outlook_Debug.txt 

To process digitally signed mails we need another approach.

According to this article it is best to look at the message class.

Will have a look in a few days as I'm out of office quite soon.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

The artice is being blocked at work, but I will take a look when I go home. 

I tried a couple of test scenerios with the email in my Inbox.

I removed all of the digitally signed emails from my Inbox and received the same error(s).

I removed all the email from my Inbox and was able to enumerate an empty Inbox.

I moved one of the emails that is not digitally signed into my Inbox and received the same error(s).

I tested your script from post #1 here and it works just fine with AutoIt 3.3.10.2 and 3.3.11.3.

Can you please check the value of macro @error after you called _OL_ItemdFind?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Can you authenticate using the physical PKI device/cert even if there is no signed mail in the inbox?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I'm not sure I understand your question.  I can authenticate using the physical PKI device/cert using other services, webpages and such.  I don't get prompted for PKI authentication in outlook until I try to access an encrptyed email.  Authentication from Outlook to Exchange is done through username/password.

I think my orginization has changed some of security setting and those are interferring with OutlookEX.  I installed Outlook on a box that is not getting the policies, and was able to enumerate the email in my inbox sucessfully.  This also includes some of the mail that is digitally signed. 

I'm not familiar with those security settings and the PKI stuff.

_OL_Open comes with a feature to click away security warnings. A template is provided which could be changed to your needs. This could solve the problem when opening a signed mail.

I don't know how to solve the problem that you can't enumerate a folder even when it doesn't hold signed mails.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki