Sign in to follow this  
TechCoder

dynamically building a reference to a variable ($$string type)

TechCoder

Haven't come across this 'feature (or is it a trick?)' in the forum and not sure how to go about making it work in AutoIt.....

I'm trying to 'build' the variable string dynamically before referencing it.

#include <Array.au3>

Local $TOOLS[10]
Global Enum $ID, $output1,$output2,$output3,$output4
$TOOLS[1] = "one"
$TOOLS[2] = "two"
$TOOLS[3] = "three"
$TOOLS[4] = "four"

Local $inout = "out"

For $x = 1 to UBound($TOOLS)
    Local $string = $inout & "put" & $x
    ConsoleWrite($TOOLS[$($string)] & @crlf)
Next

(this was 'latest attempt' - tried several ways to build the $$string, always get a syntax error)

What I want to do is use a loop to go through several (more than shown) variables and not have to type out every one.

The way I've done it in php is just to build the $string and then put a $ in front of it (i.e. $$string).

In AutoIt I have achieved the result using AssocArray* functions.

For $i = 1 To 9
    $toolbox = $inout & "put" & $i
    Local $type = AssocArrayGet($TOOLS, $toolbox)
    Switch $type

While I find AssocArray* 'easy', I have found them to be causing some slowdowns that I would rather avoid, so I'm trying to replace all those functions and this is the last one I have to do.

I'm just learning about Enum variables and see there is a lot of value in using them, though I haven't yet learned perhaps the 'best' way to use them.....

If it is possible to 'build' the $$string type variable, I'll be able to replace the last bits of the AssocArray* functions so I can retest for slowdowns.

Thanks for input on this.

TechCoder

I think you want Eval(...).

Worked a CHAMP!

#include <Array.au3>

Local $TOOLS[10]
Global Enum $output1,$output2,$output3,$output4
$TOOLS[1] = "one"
$TOOLS[2] = "two"
$TOOLS[3] = "three"
$TOOLS[4] = "four"

for $x = 1 to UBound($TOOLS)
    Local $string = "output" & $x
    ConsoleWrite($TOOLS[Eval("output"&$x)] & @crlf)
Next

(still need to adjust things a bit, but the concept is there.....)

Thanks!

TechCoder

in this case, though, the new variable was created in the Enum, so all I needed to do was reference to that, which Eval does as I needed, and works like I've always used $$string (where $string has always been created first in my use, though php would create a new one, if you wanted - that is a difference......)

AutoIt doesn't create one

Local Eval("thisnewone") = "works"
ConsoleWrite($thisnewone & @crlf)

gives

error: syntax error

Local Eval
~~~~~~^

error: $thisnewone: undeclared global variable.
ConsoleWrite($thisnewone &
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• WoodGrain
      By WoodGrain
      Hi All,
      I'd like to replace 'COMMA' with ',' for example:
      $myString = "COMMA" StringRegExpReplace($myString, 'COMMA', ',') Now I've tried escaping the ',' in various ways unsuccessfully, such as:
      '[,]'
      "[,]"
      '\,'
      [,] seems to work in the pattern, I just can't figure out how to use it in the replace, and it seems everyone online is only interested in removing/replacing commas lol.
      I also tried creating and using a variable as the replacement but also didn't work:
      $myComma = "," $myString = "COMMA" StringRegExpReplace($myString, 'COMMA', $myComma) I'm sure it's super simple if someone could point me in the right direction - thanks.
    • California
      By California
      Hello,
      I wrote a benchmark script to measure variable declarations
      to find out whether you should focus more on static or global variables
      #cs ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- AutoIt Version: 3.3.14.5 #ce ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- #Region Pre-Setting Local $iTally1 = 0 Local $iTally2 = 0 Local $iTally3 = 0 Local $iTally4 = 0 Local $iTally5 = 0 Local $iTally6 = 0 Local $iTally7 = 0 Global $GLOBALCONST1 = 1 Global $GLOBALCONST2 = 1 Global $GLOBALCONST3 = 1 Global $GLOBALCONST4 = 1 Global $GLOBALCONST5 = 1 #EndRegion Pre-Setting #Region Test Functions Func s1() Static $i = $GLOBALCONST1 Return $i EndFunc Func g2() Return $GLOBALCONST2 EndFunc Func g3() Static $i7 = "gsdgdfegbgbrwefw" Return $GLOBALCONST3 EndFunc Func g4() Static $i1 = 1 Static $i2 = "asd" Static $i3 = 234 Static $i4 = True Static $i5 = [0] Static $i6 = "hgsdg" Static $i7 = 1 Static $i8 = 1 Static $i9 = 1 Static $i0 = 1 Return $GLOBALCONST4 EndFunc Func g5() Local $i = $GLOBALCONST5 Return $i EndFunc Func g6() Local $i = 1 Return $i EndFunc Func g7() Return 1 EndFunc #EndRegion Test Functions #Region Benchmark Loop For $i = 0 To 15 Local $tDelta = TimerInit() Do $iTally1 += s1() Until TimerDiff($tDelta) >= 1000 Local $tDelta = TimerInit() Do $iTally2 += g2() Until TimerDiff($tDelta) >= 1000 Local $tDelta = TimerInit() Do $iTally3 += g3() Until TimerDiff($tDelta) >= 1000 Local $tDelta = TimerInit() Do $iTally4 += g4() Until TimerDiff($tDelta) >= 1000 Local $tDelta = TimerInit() Do $iTally5 += g5() Until TimerDiff($tDelta) >= 1000 Local $tDelta = TimerInit() Do $iTally6 += g6() Until TimerDiff($tDelta) >= 1000 Local $tDelta = TimerInit() Do $iTally7 += g7() Until TimerDiff($tDelta) >= 1000 Next #EndRegion Benchmark Loop ConsoleWrite(@CRLF&"Static1: "&$iTally1&" pkt"&@CRLF&"Global2: "&$iTally2&" pkt"&@CRLF&"Global3: "&$iTally3&" pkt"&@CRLF&"Global4: "&$iTally4&" pkt"&@CRLF&"Local5: "&$iTally5&" pkt"&@CRLF&"Local6: "&$iTally6&" pkt"&@CRLF&"Hardcode7:"&$iTally7&" pkt"&@CRLF) #cs Result Static1: 10291881 pkt global to static Global2: 13977324 pkt only global Global3: 9886169 pkt global and static Global4: 2933051 pkt global and many statics Local5: 9937314 pkt global to local Local6: 10306484 pkt only local Hardcode7: 14835319 pkt no variable #ce Result:
      100% no variable, hardcore value
      94% only global variable use
      69% only local variable use with hardcore value set
      69% only static variable use with global variable value set
      67% declaration of local variable with global variable value set
      66% only global variable use with one static variable beside
      20% only global variable use with ten static variables beside
      My thesis of the result:
      Be careful with declarations, whether local, global or static Note: in my test the global variable performance was better than the local one, but in practice the global one would lose performance due to multiple operations

What is your best practice sharing data between multiple functions?
    • TheAutomator
      By TheAutomator
      Is this better to check a variable before you assign it to a value that could be the same?
      for example:
      local $EmptyLog = false func WriteLog($text) _guictrledit_appendtext($log, ($EmptyLog ? @CRLF : $empty) & $text) If $EmptyLog Then $EmptyLog = False endfunc or does AutoIt behind the scenes already check this?
      i guess overwriting memory with the same value over and over again is not good if you can prevent this with a check?
    • JNutt
      By JNutt
      I see $hWnd used as a local variable in a lot of script examples.  I know the 'h' is used for handles, but what is the 'Wnd' short for?
      Thanks!
    • kartune
      By kartune
      Hello, I am getting this error message when running my script:
      Case $aButiD[0] To $aButiD[$iTotButtons - 1]
      Case ^ ERROR
      Error:  Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded.

The script's purpose is to read my ini file and create buttons for the sections and section contents.
      The first part of the script creates buttons for the sections of the ini, once you click on the section button it should open another set of buttons of all the contents under the section
      In this case, the section in the .ini file is called "TPA"
      on the Func flavorco()
      It opens the contents of "TPA" into buttons.
      Right now, the section it is reading is determined by $sSection.
      It is only when I try to change $sSection = "TPA"
      to
      $sSection = $flavorco
      that the error starts to appear

Here is the script
      #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> #include <WinAPIFiles.au3> #include <Array.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <WindowsConstants.au3> #include <ButtonConstants.au3> $optbar = IniReadSectionNames("test.ini") If Not IsArray($optbar) Then Exit Local $Button[UBound($optbar) - 1] $mGUI = GUICreate('Restock Flavor Ingredients', 10 + (130 * UBound($optbar)), 100) For $x = 1 To UBound($optbar) - 1 $var = IniReadSection("test.ini", $optbar[$x]) If @error Then ContinueLoop $X_Coord = 10 + (($x - 1) * 100) $Button[$x - 1] = GUICtrlCreateButton($optbar[$x], $X_Coord, 30, 70, 30) Next GUISetState() While 1 $mMsg = GUIGetMsg() If $mMsg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Then GUIDelete($mGUI) ExitLoop EndIf For $i = 0 To UBound($Button) - 1 If $mMsg = $Button[$i] Then MsgBox(0, '$Msg = ' & $mMsg, GuiCtrlRead($Button[$i]) & ' Pressed', 2) Global $flavorco = $Button ; sets the flavor company's variable Call('flavorco') EndIf Next WEnd Func flavorco() ;opened flavor company's flavors MsgBox(0, '$Msg = ' & $mMsg, GuiCtrlRead($Button[$i]) & $flavorco, 0) Local $sFilePath = @ScriptDir & "\Test.ini" Local $sSection = $Button Local $aArray = IniReadSection($sFilePath, $sSection) _ArrayDelete($aArray, 0) ;_ArrayDisplay($aArray) Local $iIndex Local $iTotButtons = UBound($aArray) Local $iNumPerRow = 5 Local $iButWidth = 100 Local $iButDepth = 30 Local $aButiD[$iTotButtons] Local $hGUI = GUICreate('Ingredients Stock "' & $sFilePath & '"', 10 + ($iButWidth + 10) * $iNumPerRow, _ 10 + Ceiling($iTotButtons / $iNumPerRow) * ($iButDepth + 10), -1, $WS_EX_TOPMOST) For $i = 0 To $iTotButtons - 1 ; $x = $iXBorder + (($iRectWidth + $iSpacing) * Mod($i, $iNumCols)) $x = 10 + (($iButWidth + 10) * Mod($i, $iNumPerRow)) ; $y = $iYBorder + (($iRectDepth + $iSpacing) * Int($i / $iNumCols)) $y = 10 + (($iButDepth + 10) * Int($i / $iNumPerRow)) $aButiD[$i] = GUICtrlCreateButton($aArray[$i][0], $x, $y, $iButWidth, $iButDepth) ;, $BS_NOTIFY) Next GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) While 1 $msg = GUIGetMsg() Switch $msg Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE GUIDelete($hGUI) ExitLoop Case $aButiD[0] To $aButiD[$iTotButtons - 1] ;clicking on a flavor name $iIndex = ($msg - $aButiD[0]) $RSINGRflavor = $aArray[$iIndex][0] ;flavor name $RSINGRml = $aArray[$iIndex][1] ; ml $RSINGRgal = $aArray[$iIndex][1]*0.000264172 ;converts ml to gal Call('openflavor') EndSwitch WEnd EndFunc Func openflavor() #Region ### START Koda GUI section ### Form=F:\Karl\AutoIt\FJ-Stock JP\GUI Forms\RSINGRSUBFORM.kxf ;opens flavor to view stock and restock submit $RSINGRSUBFORM = GUICreate($sSection & " " & $RSINGRflavor, 242, 213, 530, 269) $RSINGRFlavorTitle = GUICtrlCreateLabel($sSection & " " & $RSINGRflavor, 32, 8, 200, 28) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 16, 800, 0, "MS Sans Serif") $RSINGRstockcaption = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Current Stock in ml:", 16, 48, 96, 17) $RSINGRstockml = GUICtrlCreateLabel($RSINGRml, 120, 48, 114, 25) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 8, 800, 0, "MS Sans Serif") $RSINGRInput = GUICtrlCreateInput("ml", 40, 112, 153, 21) $RSINGRSUBMIT = GUICtrlCreateButton("SUBMIT", 16, 152, 81, 33) $RSINGRCLOSE = GUICtrlCreateButton("CLOSE", 145, 151, 81, 33) $RSINGRgalcaption = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Current Stock in gal:", 16, 80, 97, 17) $RSINGRstockgal = GUICtrlCreateLabel($RSINGRGAL, 120, 80, 114, 25) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 8, 800, 0, "MS Sans Serif") GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) #EndRegion ### END Koda GUI section ### ; $msg = "" While 1 $nMsg = GUIGetMsg() Switch $nMsg Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE GUIDelete($RSINGRSUBFORM) ExitLoop Case $RSINGRCLOSE GUIDelete($RSINGRSUBFORM) ExitLoop EndSwitch WEnd EndFunc  
      Any help is much appreciated!  Thanks.
      My guess is that $Button isn't an actual string??  Whenever I use msgbox it shows up the string exactly, no numbers attached.  So i'm not sure whats going on here.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.