tooltip question

rich2323

Search Toast UDF in the examples section.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

guinness

I have looked at the toast option, and was able to get toast to display a message when I have the mouse of the tray icon, but it continually displays the message over and over even when I don't have the mouse over the tray icon any longer.

Rich

here is my code

#include <TrayConstants.au3> ; Required for the $TRAY_EVENT_PRIMARYDOUBLE and $TRAY_EVENT_SECONDARYUP constants.
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

#include "Toast.au3"

Global $sMsg, $hProgress, $aRet[2]

Global $sAutoIt_Path = StringRegExpReplace(@AutoItExe, "(^.*\\)(.*)", "\1")

Opt("TrayMenuMode", 3) ; The default tray menu items will not be shown and items are not checked when selected. These are options 1 and 2 for TrayMenuMode.
Opt("TrayOnEventMode", 1) ; Enable TrayOnEventMode.

Example()

Func Example()
    TrayCreateItem("About")

TrayCreateItem("") ; Create a separator line.

TrayCreateItem("Exit")
    TrayItemSetOnEvent(-1, "ExitScript")

TraySetOnEvent($TRAY_EVENT_PRIMARYDOUBLE, "TrayEvent")
    TraySetOnEvent($TRAY_EVENT_SECONDARYUP, "TrayEvent")
    TraySetOnEvent($TRAY_EVENT_MOUSEOVER, "TrayEvent")

TraySetState(1) ; Show the tray menu.

While 1
        Sleep(100) ; An idle loop.
    WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>Example

Func TrayEvent()
    Switch @TRAY_ID ; Check the last tray item identifier.
        Case $TRAY_EVENT_PRIMARYDOUBLE
            ; Display a message box about the AutoIt version and installation path of the AutoIt executable.
            MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "AutoIt tray menu example." & @CRLF & @CRLF & _
                    "Version: " & @AutoItVersion & @CRLF & _
                    "Install Path: " & StringLeft(@AutoItExe, StringInStr(@AutoItExe, "\", 0, -1) - 1)) ; Find the folder of a full path.

Case $TRAY_EVENT_SECONDARYUP
            MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "The secondary mouse button was released on the tray icon.")

Case $TRAY_EVENT_MOUSEOVER

Opt("TrayOnEventMode",0)

ConsoleWrite("TESTIJG"& @CRLF)

$sMsg  = "This Toast uses colours and font defined in a _Toast_Set call." & @CRLF & @CRLF
            $sMsg &= "Subsequent Toasts will use these values until they are reset by another _Toast_Set call" & @CRLF & @CRLF
            $sMsg &= "You can also display a standard icon - or one from an exe as here" & @CRLF & @CRLF
            $sMsg &= "The next Toast has a very small message to show the pre-set minimum size"
            _Toast_Set(5, 0xFF00FF, 0xFFFF00, 0x0000FF, 0xFFFFFF, 10, "Arial")
            $aRet = _Toast_Show(@AutoItExe, "User-defined Colours and Bold Header", $sMsg, 5)
            ConsoleWrite("Toast size: " & $aRet[0] & " x " & $aRet[1] & @CRLF)
            _Toast_Hide()
            Sleep (2000)

Opt("TrayOnEventMode",1)

EndSwitch

EndFunc   ;==>TrayEvent

Func ExitScript()
    Exit
EndFunc   ;==>ExitScript

I would expect that to happen, maybe look at TrayGetMsg() instead.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

#include <TrayConstants.au3> ; Required for the $TRAY_EVENT_PRIMARYDOUBLE and $TRAY_EVENT_SECONDARYUP constants.
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

#include "Toast.au3"

Global $sMsg, $hProgress, $aRet[2]

Global $sAutoIt_Path = StringRegExpReplace(@AutoItExe, "(^.*\\)(.*)", "\1")

Opt("TrayMenuMode", 3) ; The default tray menu items will not be shown and items are not checked when selected. These are options 1 and 2 for TrayMenuMode.
Opt("TrayOnEventMode", 1) ; Enable TrayOnEventMode.

Global $_fToast = False

Example()

Func Example()
    TrayCreateItem("About")

TrayCreateItem("") ; Create a separator line.

TrayCreateItem("Exit")
    TrayItemSetOnEvent(-1, "ExitScript")

TraySetOnEvent($TRAY_EVENT_PRIMARYDOUBLE, "TrayEvent")
    TraySetOnEvent($TRAY_EVENT_SECONDARYUP, "TrayEvent")
    TraySetOnEvent($TRAY_EVENT_MOUSEOVER, "TrayEvent")

TraySetState(1) ; Show the tray menu.

While 1
        Sleep(100) ; An idle loop.
    WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>Example

Func TrayEvent()
    Switch @TRAY_ID ; Check the last tray item identifier.
        Case $TRAY_EVENT_PRIMARYDOUBLE
            ; Display a message box about the AutoIt version and installation path of the AutoIt executable.
            MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "AutoIt tray menu example." & @CRLF & @CRLF & _
                    "Version: " & @AutoItVersion & @CRLF & _
                    "Install Path: " & StringLeft(@AutoItExe, StringInStr(@AutoItExe, "\", 0, -1) - 1)) ; Find the folder of a full path.

Case $TRAY_EVENT_SECONDARYUP
            MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "The secondary mouse button was released on the tray icon.")

Case $TRAY_EVENT_MOUSEOVER
            If Not $_fToast Then
                Opt("TrayOnEventMode", 0)

$_fToast = True
                AdlibRegister("DoToast", 0)
            EndIf
    EndSwitch
EndFunc   ;==>TrayEvent

Func DoToast()
    AdlibUnRegister("DoToast")

ConsoleWrite("TESTING" & @CRLF)

$sMsg = "This Toast uses colours and font defined in a _Toast_Set call." & @CRLF & @CRLF
    $sMsg &= "Subsequent Toasts will use these values until they are reset by another _Toast_Set call" & @CRLF & @CRLF
    $sMsg &= "You can also display a standard icon - or one from an exe as here" & @CRLF & @CRLF
    $sMsg &= "The next Toast has a very small message to show the pre-set minimum size"
    _Toast_Set(5, 0xFF00FF, 0xFFFF00, 0x0000FF, 0xFFFFFF, 10, "Arial")
    $aRet = _Toast_Show(@AutoItExe, "User-defined Colours and Bold Header", $sMsg, 5)
    ConsoleWrite("Toast size: " & $aRet[0] & " x " & $aRet[1] & @CRLF)
    _Toast_Hide()
    Sleep(2000)

Opt("TrayOnEventMode", 1)

$_fToast = False
EndFunc   ;==>DoToast

Func ExitScript()
    Exit
EndFunc   ;==>ExitScript

What are you displaying in the tooltip that requires more than 128 characters? There are probably other ways of displaying it.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• 2 weeks later...

Thakns Firefox, Ill take a look at your code. 

BrewManNH

Thanks for your feedback.

I need to display anywhere between 10-400 characters.  I want to have the display similar like how the tray tip displays when hovering over the tray icon.  I am open to other suggestions.

I have an app that need to show availalbe updates when hovering over the icon.  Sometimes its 1 item and other it can be 50.  Each requiring a line item. 128 characters goes quick.

Thanks,

Rich

If you have a GUI attached to this script, put a menu item in a Help menu that displays the updates available. If you don't have a GUI, then you can add a TrayMenu item that can do the same thing. Your tooltip should probably just display that there are updates available without trying to display all of them as it would look rather messy, and take up a lot of screen space while viewing it.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

BrewManNH

Right now i do have a TrayMenu item that does have the info in it.  The pupose of the tooltip is to quick move over the icon and see what updates are need.  All though its messy it does it quickly and without any clicking.