Suggestion to update Au3 template with #AutoIt3Wrapper_Au3Check_Parameters?

Hi guys,

I guess I am still very new to AutoIT. I think I have grasped something then some of you guys just wow me with code.
Anyway, something I don't see made mention in the help at the beginning (I could be wrong or blind or both?) is the use of a rather useful line for script checking.

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Au3Check_Parameters=-d -w 1 -w 2 -w 3 -w- 4 -w 5 -w 6 -w- 7

I would say that it's guinness prolific and regimented use of it in his examples that I sparked my curiosity? 
Admittedly, up until fairly recently I struggled creating scripts or snippets of code that even did anything besides producing errors?
I have usually gone about my ways exhausting the use of the forum search tool; testing the variety of sample snippets of code, and collecting a small reference of au3 files forming my own little "ideas" library for future use. I digress, my point is that checking of errors was no greater than my understanding of what was going on in scripts AND/OR what ever Scite threw back at the console....which I can say is limited!
I think if it's encouraged more than it is (possibly enabled by default in the Au3 template file?) and included within new scripts for users (even if the code was commented out by and accompanied with a single line explanation) I feel it would probably have saved me many many hours of "untargetted" research and confusion?  :>

Further to this....I have since gone reviewed over for what of a better word my 'Abandoned' scripts area and included this one line and it was a tremendous assistance for if not solving my issues at least identifying where I research some more >_< .

Edited by DigitalFacade82

• Moderators

DigitalFacade82,

While I agree that using an error checker is an excellent idea, I question whether we should force quite such a restrictive parameter set on new coders - what you posted above is the one we use for UDFs where we are very strict. Getting nothing but a screen full of "errors and warnings" could well dissuade them from coding - AutoIt scripts run quite well without several of the checks that are carried out by the "full monty" set as above. ;)

But there is nothing to prevent you from adding the directive to your own template - just amend "C:WindowsShellNewTemplate.au3" and Robert is your mother's brother. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Sounds like it would just confuse newbs into thinking that the wrapper is part of AutoIt and installed on their system when it actually is part of SciTE4AutoIt3 and will only work if that is additionally installed.

I agree for new users it's confusing, but as they develop then I would whole heartedly recommend it. It's how I learnt what scope was and the importance of trying not to use Global.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

You may have missed something in my garbled post (Note to self: You really gotta learn not to post just after takin my meds  :blink: )

(even if the code was commented out by default and accompanied with a single line explanation) I feel it would probably have saved me many many hours of "untargetted" research and confusion?  :>

Maybe like so?

;#AutoIt3Wrapper_Au3Check_Parameters=-d -w 1 -w 2 -w 3 -w- 4 -w 5 -w 6 -w- 7
;Uncomment the line above when submitting UDFs to the AutoIT forums. Note: this may also be helpful tracing tricky errors

But yes I would agree that putting in to the template and not having it commented out by default would without a doubt problems especially for newbies *god help em

Kind of related but kinda not. I find it bad enough with SCiTE plastering the red error tag stuff through my script  at times (messing with the flow of my reading). Great for identifying errors, but damn I wish as soon as you edit any part of the line the tags would disappear? Is there a hot key combo for clearing those red tags?
One could only image the state of a "test snippet" a newb playing around with and having AutoIIt3Wrapper_Au3Check enabled  :o

Offtopic

I agree for new users it's confusing, but as they develop then I would whole heartedly recommend it. It's how I learnt what scope was and the importance of trying not to use Global.

@Guinness,
I recall reading your post a long time ago about that very subject of Globals and god for the life of me cannot locate it? Do you have a link? Was it a seperate thread or part of discussion within unrelated thread?

My understanding of Globals that they should only be used for constants or for variables being used by most or all functions within your script? And if not then they shouldn't be Globals at all and we may need to look at restructuring functions referencing the Global into common groups and then changing the Global to a Local nested to that group of processes in that Function?

Global
Function

Function

Function

Function

Could become

Function
          Local

Process
                  Process 

Process

Process

Maybe not?

Also if a Global value actually isn't what it is set at at runtime then wouldn't it be difficult handling errors? Other than some default AutoIT error that is spat out?

Sorry hijacking my own topic. Please continue on

Edited by DigitalFacade82

• Moderators

DigitalFacade82,

You can remove the error indication lines by using the <Search - Remove All Bookmarks> menu item. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

Not to sound stupid, but how do you open a document using the template? I've never used it before, not sure I ever would, but would like to know the procedure for using it.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

BrewManNH,

Right-click and select <New - AutoIt v3 Script> - a file is created and double clicking it opens it in SciTE. :)

M23

Spoiler

Right click what?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

BrewManNH doesn't use the installed version of AutoIt.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

DigitalFacade82,

Look at my best practices topic. You should find the answer to your question and much much more in there.

UDF List:

Yeah, I never install AutoIt on a machine, so I don't have that option. It makes things much easier when everything is on OneDrive and I can access it from any of my computers without having to worry about whether I have the latest version. Download once, unzip it, use anywhere.

I do it this way so that it works as if it were on a thumb drive or external drive. All settings are saved to the folder where AutoIt has all of its files. Nothing gets saved to the user profile and I have the same settings across all computers. I also only have to update in one place instead of on 4 computers. It's a lot more logical than carrying a thumb drive around with my program and scripts just so I can use it on another one of my computers.

It's basically set up as if it's a portable version with nothing installed.