Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kudrow

Auto create pdf files using a word template and strings from file

5 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I searched around on the forums but I am not sure I am searching the right words to find what I am looking for. So I will just explain what I am trying to do and hopefully someone will point me in the right direction.

Basically I have an excel spread sheet with data in it that I would like to auto-fill "place holders" with on a word template. So for each cell on row 1, there is a matching place holder in the template that will be replaced with the data from the cell. Once the placement is done I can save as a pdf. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Well I am trying a few things out to see if I can make some progress. Currently I am reading in an .rtf and using StringReplace to change values on placeholders. The problem is the change is not saved with FileWrite and the FileClose. I do know the placeholder that I want to replace exists by checking it with StringRegExp. Below is my code, what am I missing? 

Local $file = FileOpen("pwf.rtf", 0)

; Check if file opened for reading OK
If $file = -1 Then
    MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open file.")
    Exit
EndIf

$filetoread = FileRead($file)
$replace = StringReplace ($filetoread, "id_1", "My Text")

FileWrite ($file, $replace)
FileClose($file)

Word allows to merge data from a database (yes, Excel can act as a database) into a document. This could then be exported as PDF.

I have never used it myself but when you search the forum for "mailmerge" you will get some hits.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
PowerPoint (2015-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Thank you for the info. I am trying to avoid actually opening any other programs during the process. Is there anything wrong with my code above?

The error is caused by this line:

FileOpen("pwf.rtf", 0)

This opens the file in read mode.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
PowerPoint (2015-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki